Where is the Sunshine in your Life?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't have enough sun, really....a half acre with some extremely mature giant maples and a black walnut tree and one big blue spruce. So the real estate for my vegetables is fairly limited. I had to take out a humungous elm tree when I bought the house five years ago because it was dying and wasn't a matter of IF it would fall onto my tiny house, but WHEN. And last year had lots of branches and a dead tree taken down. I do love the trees but I am considering having more pruning done which would give me more sun on the back deck.

Front of my house faces north. The back part of the yard is a tangle of raspberry and blackberry bushes and all sorts of native plants (ie weeds!) - I don't mow back there; I just let it do its thing for the pollinators and birds and garden snakes. Every year I add some more perennials and native flowering plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm not quite sure what the directions are in my yard. I should probably figure that out. However, my veggie garden gets a good dose of morning and evening sun with how the houses are positioned. That means mid afternoon I have a little bit of shade to garden in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Despite claiming myself to be a knowledgeable gardener it never occurred to me that my fruit trees will devour the sun so needed for low lying growth. Their roots too play havoc. All this at the back of my house. I have no problem with what grows in front of our house, which is facing East.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
The north side of my town faced east, and the east was facing south :D

Even those equipped with a Master's in Geophysics will be able to unravel this mystery :confused:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Even those equipped with a Master's in Geophysics will be able to unravel this mystery :confused:

I was just testing to see if there are any Who fans on the site :D

Reaction score
I was told that in the new place where I am going to live we will be getting a lot sun, specially the yard. So I might be able to grow some nice things in our small greenhouse.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My house faces north, and I'll have the garden about an acre south of my house. It should get a great deal of sunlight throughout the entire day.

Ask a Question