Where is the Sunshine in your Life?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
My back yard faces Northwest and the side of the house where the smaller gh is faces Southwest. My front yard is too small to use for anything other than a couple of pink flamingos.

I also have trees in my tiny back yard. These were planted back when my idea of gardening was shoving a bunch of store bought busy lizzies in and calling it a day.

So I have some challenges of what I can grow in the various small gardens out back and I'm probably looking very fickle because I keep changing plantings.

How about you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in a rented house right now so there is a limited amount of things I can do gardening wise. The front side of my house is the side that gets the most sunshine, and that is where the living room is. I really wish the back side of my house got more sunlight as that is where all of my private space is. I have an almost non-existent backyard as I live on a hillside, so about the time you step out on the back patio, you have to start your incline up the hill. We have a crazy amount of wildlife that live up in the hillside!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In the summer it rises in the back where I just planted two chinese Pistaches and a willow. The rest is dirt due to my destructive ginormous dogs. It sets nI the front where I have water wise plants, wildflowers, and trees to shade the windows. It is our first year here. Hopefully it all lives!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Can the answer be "My Wife"? :sneaky:

Back to the topic at hand... My house faces East, so I get full sun in the front yard and quite a bit of sun in the backyard as well. During the summer the backyard starts to get shade around 4PM from trees at the fence line.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I get the sun most of the day except for midday when the huge Ash tree shades out the veg plot.

That's ok for most C3 plants as photosynthesis shuts down during the midday sun, not so good for Sweetcorn which is a C4 plant though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
zwondering post: 48916 said:
I get the sun most of the day except for midday when the huge Ash tree shades out the veg plot.

That's ok for most C3 plants as photosynthesis shuts down during the midday sun, not so good for Sweetcorn which is a C4 plant though.
OMG, how wonderful to have ash trees.

between emerald ash borer and the ice storm from hell in 2014, our province wide pop is gone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
The back of my property is facing north
If my tv faced north I would know every thing

I have instructions for making a tin foil/aluminium wrap custom fit hat that can help keep unwanted information from taking up precious brain cells. Would you like me to send them? :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have been working on getting my muscles equal in strength on both sides. non directional excercises.

Just in case i get lost in the woods on a cloudy day. I don't want to be running circles around the inhabitants. ..

sillyness abounds..:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Our house faces southwest, with a large tree shading it in the afternoon (a true blessing in Texas). Our vegetable gardens are in full sun, but the asparagus bed gets late afternoon shade from a huge crepe myrtle (the thing is at least 30' tall!). The front flower beds get afternoon shade from the same tree that shades the house, and one that is near the workshop. Then the back flower bed is planted under a huge ash juniper so it gets shaded from mid-morning to late afternoon. Oddly, the roses like being under the ash juniper better than being out front with more sun--go figure.
In the pasture we have a few large mesquites, and two ash junipers. There are black willows at the pond. During the heat of the day in summertime, I can see various wildlife taking refuge in the trees' shaded areas. The grass under the trees is always matted down, and if I walk very quietly, I can see the turtles in the shaded water under the willows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Our house faces southwest, with a large tree shading it in the afternoon (a true blessing in Texas). Our vegetable gardens are in full sun, but the asparagus bed gets late afternoon shade from a huge crepe myrtle (the thing is at least 30' tall!). The front flower beds get afternoon shade from the same tree that shades the house, and one that is near the workshop. Then the back flower bed is planted under a huge ash juniper so it gets shaded from mid-morning to late afternoon. Oddly, the roses like being under the ash juniper better than being out front with more sun--go figure.
In the pasture we have a few large mesquites, and two ash junipers. There are black willows at the pond. During the heat of the day in summertime, I can see various wildlife taking refuge in the trees' shaded areas. The grass under the trees is always matted down, and if I walk very quietly, I can see the turtles in the shaded water under the willows.

Sounds like a wonderful environment, how many acres are under your care?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Tradewinds, we have 9 1/2 acres, but one acre is pond, and the house, workshop and barn take up about another acre all totaled. We say that if we had 10 acres it would kill us! If we added up the size of the gardens--vegetable and flower--we'd have about an acre of gardens.
The pasture is mostly native grasses and a habitat for wildlife. We try to sound so very eco-conscious, but basically we just don't want to mow the pasture more than twice a year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Like most of you already know, I don't have a garden, but I grow many plants indoors:D
My bedroom and kitchen windows face east, my living room windows face west. I get plenty of sun here:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The north side of my town faced east, and the east was facing south :D

Ask a Question