When the travel bug bites you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My next venture on my bucket list is Scotland, Ireland and UK. want to do that all when over there. Still deciding how to do that. A travel group, not keen on getting up at 7AM to start my day. Or self touring, ---worried about the driving business. I have some acquaintances I would like to meet up with so would need that flexibility. I know there are lots of interesting B&B to stay in. And the northern Scotland really entices me, and of course the castles. Still pondering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Thanks @Becky . The bottom line, if you go online and look up tours, they are going to list the places that they will take you, most are the same. Its just a matter of plotting them out yourself on a map etc. And then plotting out locations of B&B's etc. I am thinking its best I do not drive in England. Still pondering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Finally, have this year sorted out, for traveling.
May, we are going to Key West, Fl, from there flying to ST Maartens for the 2nd week. June, we are going to Cayman Islands, August, going to Scotland. And September going to Costa Rica.

For the Scotland dates I will be there August 11, or maybe the 10th with a tour group for 10 days doing the coastline. There seems to be some free time etc. So if any of you are around and we can meet up, message me. I was thinking of getting there one day earlier than the tour schedule will be in Edenburg then. I am sticking with the coastline of Scotland, country roads on this trip. Not a real city person. IT is with a tour group that seems to fit what I am looking for, and will feel less stressed with a group etc.

Also hope for Thanksgiving to get up to Washington State to stay with cousins.

So somewhere along this year, have to figure date for retirement, sort out my work computer files from them, (deleting etc) Get on the other health insurance that one gets when you retire. etc.
Want to make sure I use up all the "paid vacation" time I can with the company I have. They need a 2 week notice, but they know its sometime this year. Boss is talking me into staying till next. (that is sweet) . LOL. It will be hard to leave. I will miss the craziness. Have to find other craziness I guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Oh, yes, @roadrunner , and I see where you live. Nice and flat there. My area, is lots of hills, valleys, curvey roads. When I am in Key West I rent a bike and I am all over the island with the thing, never rent a car. Even bike way up to Marathon sometime. Flat helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Oh, yes, @roadrunner , and I see where you live. Nice and flat there. My area, is lots of hills, valleys, curvey roads. When I am in Key West I rent a bike and I am all over the island with the thing, never rent a car. Even bike way up to Marathon sometime. Flat helps.
Don't take this wrong, but you should count yourself lucky having all them hills around and I do love my roads like I like my woman – curvy.:D

I've been cycling for over 30 years all over the country and in other parts of the world (retired military). So, I've seen pretty much every type of road and if you look at that picture above with the deer checking me out, notice that's not normal behavior for deer which are generally timid animals, except in Shenandoah National park (in Virginia), which is where that picture was taken – they're so use to people in there, they walk right up to you, more like dogs than deer. I was on a tour thru the Appalachian mountain chain.

Riding in the winds (and living next to the beach there is no shortage of wind, except tail winds) can be very exhausting. It's not like you will get to the top and then just coast.

This is a subject I can go on and on about, but I'll stop here and just leave you this article, which explains why I say you should count yourself lucky in living in the hills. http://www.over40cyclist.com/battle-ferocious-cycling-enemy/
Excerpt:
But there’s one cycling enemy that is common to every single cyclist. It’s the wind.

Tell someone who is new to cycling how difficult it is to ride against a strong wind and chances are they won’t believe you. You have to be there before you really understand how much effect the wind has on cycling. Estimates are that anywhere up to 80% of the effort in cycling is just spent to push into the air.

Another good article: http://www.nottinghampost.com/tim-b...8217-s-worst/story-26145728-detail/story.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Don't take this wrong, but you should count yourself lucky having all them hills around and I do love my roads like I like my woman – curvy.:D
Remember earlier I said I biked a lot in my late 20's and early 30's well it was these road, the hilly and curvy ones I biked. Had a afternoon job, so in the morning I could get out of my house by 10AM and hop on the road for 14 miles or so round trip. Even in the cold, as long as there were no ice. Recall once standing in a store with some shorts on (summer time) some guy said to me, wow great legs. LOL. guess I did then. Awww but then the "day time" career job hit, and you find yourself sitting at a desk most the day. Trying to find time to just "walk" at lunch. and then weekend time. And before you know it, your bike gets dusty, and gravity sets in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I've only just got back to this thread as I've been too busy :(

We travel quite a lot and I see my last posting was about our trek, in February 2016, through Northern India and Bhutan.

There couldn't have been a bigger contrast. Although the people in both countries were lovely and friendly and the food was good the living conditions were poles apart.

Bhutan has a population of approx. 700,000 whereas just one city in India has over 20 million. The border town of Phuentsholing has a fence running through it with crowding and clamour on one side and peace and quiet on the other.

India has magnificent buildings such as the Taj Mahal and The Red Fort and Bhutan has some pretty houses and old monasteries and defensive hill forts.

P1270420.JPG

Whilst in India we travelled on the old steam Darjeeling Himalayan Railway.
P1260914.JPG

Everyone was friendly
P1250523.JPG

In the cities it was very crowded and noisy but we met with nothing but politeness and friendliness.

Traditional morning cleansing in the Ganges
P1270708.JPG

P1270607.JPG

Lots of faces with great character
P1270605.JPG

Some people living in what we would consider horrible conditions but they consider it normal
P1250929.JPG

P1270726.JPG

Wide and easily navigated streets
P1270725.JPG

And electrics that have been passed by Health and Safety :whistle:
P1140258.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Since then we have been to The Lake District in England a couple of times. Something not to be missed if you come over here. We go there twice a year.

We've also been travelling through France, Spain, Croatia, Montenegro, Italy in November and Germany, Hungary and Austria in July. In February we went to Madeira for their Carnival week. Of course, with us living in England it's less than a three hour flight to get to any of these places and travelling around is easy.

Ask a Question