When the travel bug bites you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
@Esther Knapicius Hi Esther,

We travel all over the world and we love to see the countries, the way people live, immerse ourselves in the culture, try the food, see things new etc.

We have now done all of S. America, all of Central America, a lot of the U.S., a large part of Africa (I used to work out that way 55 years ago), most of New Zealand, a lot of Indonesia and Malaysia, some of Australia and, of course a lot of Europe. The nearest we've got to China, so far, is a few trips to Hong Kong.

A lot of places are no longer all that safe to visit but when we were there the people couldn't have been nicer. In the last three years we have done a lot of travelling through Turkey but wouldn't try it at the moment. Lovely country, friendly people, good food and fantastic history.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Most countries are safe (if your government haven't given a warning about not travelling there) but you do need to be aware of possible problems and be careful.

With some of the poorer countries we wear basic clothing, no jewellery and carry nothing worth much. My camera is in a pouch on my belt and we don't carry phones or ipads etc.

Most importantly, be polite, smile a lot and learn the basic words of their language. Thank you and please go a long way.

If you want to take photos of people then ask them first and they invariably say yes. We get some wonderful photos that way.

A few that we've taken:-

P1140350.JPG

He was a bit shy but his father was with him
197_9716.JPG

He wasn't holding out his hand for money. All he wanted to do was see the picture on the camera screen. He loved it!
P1270479.JPG

P1270207.JPG

cropped.JPG

This girl had a young child to support and I asked one of the stall holders whether she would be offended if I gave her some money. They said it was OK to do so but not much. I gave her $2 and was told afterwards that it was almost a month's wages!!!
117_1762.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Nice shots. Thanks.
ith some of the poorer countries we wear basic clothing, no jewellery and carry nothing worth much. My camera is in a pouch on my belt and we don't carry phones or ipads etc.
In general, no matter where I travel I practice that. Least attention paid to me the better.
Problem is, my hair sticks out, a natural redhead with freckles is not hard to miss. Looks like you have red hair.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Looks like you have red hair.

That's Mrs Bootsy (y). She used to have deep red ginger hair but at the time of that photo it was coloured. She has now let that grow out to the pure white she has in post #72. It looks good on her.

Funnily enough, the white hair attracts a lot of the indigenous people in the back country where they see few white people. So we actually get lots of requests from them for them to have their picture taken with us (I've got white hair as well).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
That's Mrs Bootsy (y). She used to have deep red ginger hair but at the time of that photo it was coloured. She has now let that grow out to the pure white she has in post #72. It looks good on her.

Funnily enough, the white hair attracts a lot of the indigenous people in the back country where they see few white people. So we actually get lots of requests from them for them to have their picture taken with us (I've got white hair as well).
Mine used to be the color of a copper crayon. It is still not white. but more of a ginger blond, I was told I would never go white due to the deep color I had to begin with. going on 65 and so far, still have lots of color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
just got back from our annual trip to Key West, Fl. for meet ups, and parties. below is the big costume party on the beach with Mel Fisher's group. Also flew out to St. Martins after for a week. will post those pix later.

Reaction score
My next venture on my bucket list is Scotland, Ireland and UK. want to do that all when over there. Still deciding how to do that. A travel group, not keen on getting up at 7AM to start my day. Or self touring, ---worried about the driving business. I have some acquaintances I would like to meet up with so would need that flexibility. I know there are lots of interesting B&B to stay in. And the northern Scotland really entices me, and of course the castles. Still pondering.
Personally, I'd definitely do it the independent way, every time. That way you get to see what you want to see and take your time staying as long as you want in a place and opening up yourself fully to new experiences. Plus the UK is perfectly set up for it. Scotland? Absolutely stunning. If you're on a budget you could take advantage of cheaper and better accommodation options using sites like AirBNB for a more cultural experience. The UK is steeped in history and depending on what kind of things interest you, you can tailor the whole thing to suit. Do it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I get that all @hatch. been checking around. did find a tour that is suitable for what I want. and their schedule looks unrushed also. going to the first area I want to get to, which is the coast/country roads of N. Scotland. will have to get back for England another time. And the price is not bad at all. Going this August.

Reaction score
Great, well either way, you'll love it. I'm seething with envy - it's almost twenty years since I was up in the Highlands. Don't forget to try some haggis with 'tatties n nips' while you're there, you won't be disappointed. Oh and August will be here before you know it. Enjoy the excitement!

Ask a Question