Tiny white bugs (houseplant)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've noticed some really tiny white bugs this morning when I was misting and turning my plants. I noticed them running around in the saucer (its black or I'd never have seen them they're so small). They're in the saucer of my flamingo plant (not sure what the real name is for it, I think its some type of lily). The leaves look clean and healthy I only saw them in the saucer.

Ideas on what they are and what I should do to get rid of them? I also have two African violets on my desk in the same area so I am assuming I may have to treat them as well although I can't see any with them, but they have different colored saucers so I could have just missed them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can try to get a picture, they're so small my camera my struggle to take it. I'm not sure if they fly, I picked up the pot off the saucer and they took off running around the saucer.

I'm super anti bugs so I'm all grossed out already without trying to bother them haha! I'll try to get a picture and check.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hopefully you can see them, they're the tiny white specs. I poked at them and they didn't fly just ran away.

Attachments

• IMG_2554.JPG
    IMG_2554.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 799
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hopefully you can see them, they're the tiny white specs. I poked at them and they didn't fly just ran away.
Impossible to tell for sure but they look like the first or second instar of white fly. Spray everything with spinosad just to make sure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Impossible to tell for sure but they look like the first or second instar of white fly. Spray everything with spinosad just to make sure.

When you say everything, do you mean just the pot/saucer, plant as well, other plants, or are you talking like my whole desk?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You could follow this lady's advice, here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you say everything, do you mean just the pot/saucer, plant as well, other plants, or are you talking like my whole desk?
All of your other plants and where ever you see these things. If they are white fly they will multiply tremendously fast and often.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah okay! I'll try that! I am not really sure where they came from but I work in an office with a bunch of other people with plants so I'm sure they hitched a ride somewhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah okay! I'll try that! I am not really sure where they came from but I work in an office with a bunch of other people with plants so I'm sure they hitched a ride somewhere.
Just make sure ALL of the plants are sprayed. White fly is the bane of indoor gardening and they don't hesitate to move around.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just make sure ALL of the plants are sprayed. White fly is the bane of indoor gardening and they don't hesitate to move around.

A follow up question I have for this, two of the plants are African violets. I know I'm not supposed to get the leaves wet. Will just spraying the dirt and saucer be okay or is there something else I need to do for them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A follow up question I have for this, two of the plants are African violets. I know I'm not supposed to get the leaves wet. Will just spraying the dirt and saucer be okay or is there something else I need to do for them?
The following link should be of help. Study the entire thing. But to make a long story short use distilled water.

http://www.avsa.org/faq-pesticides

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
African violet and strepocarpus are a bit fussy. You probably need a sticker to glue the bugs. Also, use a cellotape to tape the critters and you will go eeeee, yukkkkk!

You could see if you can get help here

There are several videos. This one is worth watching and please fast forward to aphids as it is there further on

This woman literally wetted the whole plant and had result - here

Ask a Question