When the travel bug bites you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
We've just returned from a cultural tour of Turkey, starting in Istanbul and then touring through the country to a lot of ancient sites. The architecture and scenery were spectacular, food great and people very friendly.

This amphitheatre was built 1,850 years ago, seats 15,000 people and is still in use. My old legs had a struggle climbing all those steps. :)

P1260654.JPG

This magnificent building, Hagia Sophia, has been a Greek Orthodox church, a Roman catholic Cathedral and a Mosque. Since 1931 it ha been a museum.

P1260231.JPG

P1260215.JPG

We're now working on our visas for India and Bhutan.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
We've just returned from a cultural tour of Turkey, starting in Istanbul and then touring through the country to a lot of ancient sites. The architecture and scenery were spectacular, food great and people very friendly.

This amphitheatre was built 1,850 years ago, seats 15,000 people and is still in use. My old legs had a struggle climbing all those steps. :)

View attachment 9955

This magnificent building, Hagia Sophia, has been a Greek Orthodox church, a Roman catholic Cathedral and a Mosque. Since 1931 it ha been a museum.

View attachment 9957

View attachment 9958

We're now working on our visas for India and Bhutan.
Which part of India will cover your trip?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I haven only been in Thailand once and I was way too young to have a camera but I remembered it was a very beautiful place. I also have been in Cabo Saint Lucas for one short day from the cruise ship. I would love to go back to Thailand now that I am older and have a camera :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have traveled a little bit. My grandparents live in Greece so I have traveled to visit them and I was in England last year because I am for whatever reason infatuated with the country (my tv is on BBC America constantly). Other than that though I have no desire or need to leave America. There are more places here that are interesting and exciting than I could ever hope to enjoy. I've never been to the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, Mount Rushmore, Carlsbad Caverns...I could go on and on with all the amazing places I have yet to discover. Plus, I'd rather spend my money in my own country...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I enjoy visiting other countries to see the culture, way of life and history of other peoples. (y)

Which part of India will cover your trip?

This time we shall be starting in Delhi and having another look round for a few days before flying on to Bagdora. Then driving on to Darjeeling. From there we take the long drive to Gangtok (Sikkim).

After touring around there we shall make an even longer drive over the border to Phuntsholing in Bhutan. We shall drive through Bhutan to Thimphu, then Paro. From Paro we shall take a short flight back into India to Calcutta.

Reaction score
I've always had a wanderer's soul. I'm still quite young but I've travelled to almost all the countries in my region of Asia. I've been to Hong Kong (my first), Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. I'm planning to finish my Asian trip before I travel to Europe and the Americas not only because it's cheaper but I also want to start closer to home. One day I know I'll be able to reach Alaska, it seems like a winter wonderland from the pictures.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've unfortunately never gotten the chance to travel to bigger, beautiful nature places. I've been to a few cities, but otherwise, never quite had the money or time for it. At least not yet, but it is definitely a dream! I feel like even if you don't think you have the confidence for it, you should go for it anyway if you have the means! Don't make yourself regret it!

Make sure you keep that passion, otherwise life becomes dull.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have always wanted to visit Alaska. I've only heard things about it, that it is cold and barren and dark most of the time, however, I am curious to learn more about it. I have always wanted to visit the 50 states, and Alaska would be the perfect destination to begin my travels. My aunt traveled to Alaska when she was about my age, and she said it was beautiful beyond measure. I want to see a moose up close, and I want to travel the frozen mountains of this mysterious land.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I love to travel, and we've had the opportunity to do quite a bit of it. Living in Japan right now is neat -- I loved New Zealand too, there's so much natural beauty there. I also love the USA (my husband's home country - so much to see and do!) and Australia is my home country which I miss quite a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Sofia Lopez did you see my Alaska pics.? you can see its quite light there and not barren .
@amelia88 it is a possibility I am going to Australia this October. And may be able to hop to New Zealand while there, would love to see the Hobbit Village and the beautiful country also. So where in the USA is your husband from?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
@Esther Knapicius he's from California, originally - but he was a military brat so did a lot of moving around as a kid!!

My hubby is a huge LOTR fan so he was pretty excited to see the hobbit village too in NZ. You'll love it there. Some of the most beautiful scenery and countryside I've ever experienced!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have always wanted to visit Alaska. I've only heard things about it, that it is cold and barren and dark most of the time, however, I am curious to learn more about it. I have always wanted to visit the 50 states, and Alaska would be the perfect destination to begin my travels. My aunt traveled to Alaska when she was about my age, and she said it was beautiful beyond measure. I want to see a moose up close, and I want to travel the frozen mountains of this mysterious land.
I don't think I would say its dark most of the time. In fact, I know in the summer it's never actually dark. I had a friend in high school who used to go to help his aunt in Alaska and work at her hotel, and he was always telling me that the sun was shining through the windows when he was trying to sleep, because it doesn't get dark in the summer. I would still probably call it mysterious, though :p

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius he's from California, originally - but he was a military brat so did a lot of moving around as a kid!!

My hubby is a huge LOTR fan so he was pretty excited to see the hobbit village too in NZ. You'll love it there. Some of the most beautiful scenery and countryside I've ever experienced!
I've wanted to go to New Zealand for such a long time. I'm always seeing things about how lush and beautiful it is, I couldn't imagine another place I would want to go that would remind me of spring and nature all the time.

Ask a Question