When Do I Want To Move?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have moved asparagus.
It's a large root ball that you might have to fork on all sides to get it all out intact. Once you have shaken off the soil it's possible to divide into segments and replant.
Best time is winter. They can be left in one spot for twenty years. They like a lifetime of organic matter in the soil for that reason. Wait for the tops to die back to nothing and chop the brown stems before moving.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have moved asparagus.
It's a large root ball that you might have to fork on all sides to get it all out intact. Once you have shaken off the soil it's possible to divide into segments and replant.
Best time is winter. They can be left in one spot for twenty years. They like a lifetime of organic matter in the soil for that reason. Wait for the tops to die back to nothing and chop the brown stems before moving.
Ok so really I'm waiting to softer soil.

Wait until my Blueberries go dormant? I'm planning on taking cuttings from them.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so really I'm waiting to softer soil.
The asparagus wants as much organic as you can give it, dig a hole two to three feet deep and fill it with a mixture of rotted leaves and manure, mix the top soil you took out back in with this, and asparagus should love it. I wouldn't cut shoots the first year after you move it, not that I am certain about that, but a chance to recover seems sensible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The asparagus wants as much organic as you can give it, dig a hole two to three feet deep and fill it with a mixture of rotted leaves and manure, mix the top soil you took out back in with this, and asparagus should love it. I wouldn't cut shoots the first year after you move it, not that I am certain about that, but a chance to recover seems sensible.
Now got me thinking my Son has had trouble digging 4 foot holes for conor post.

big rockpile

Ask a Question