Whats this?

Reaction score
Country
Italy
These looks like feces from some sort of animal, but I have no idea what it could be.
This started to appear between autumn/winter in the northern part of the garden in a pretty large area
20230103_153737.jpg
20230103_153731.jpg
20230103_153531.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Italy
They're worm castings, otherwise known as worm poop. Shows you've got lots of life underground! Way to go!
Do you know if this is considered a large amount of worm casting? And has the season and weather anything to do with the fact that it happened all in one moment? Also, why its happening in the northern part of the garden (mostly)?

I found myself digging a lot in the garden in the last summer and this autumn and i did find lots of worms!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's fairly normal. Weather can have an effect on how much you see. Generally I see more when it's rainy and cool although with sprinkler irrigation they're active all year round. If that area gets less attention, then there are probably more worms there than where it gets dug up frequently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Worms move closer to the surface when there's been a lot of rain. During the summer when it's dryer they will move further down into the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Worms was my immediate thought. In wet weather my clay garden gets waterlogged easily and they move near the surface, then I get the badger coming round digging for them, especially where I have mulched around plants.

Ask a Question