DSCI0197.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Autumn nectar sources are important to Monarchs in migration, but also to all sorts of pollinators that are slowly running out of food options before winter sets in.

One of the best autumn nectar sources is New England Aster. It's one of the Monarch's favorites. I've seen a dozen Monarchs on a single plant in the past, and that's why I added it to my native garden. I had about 6 last year, and then I heavily seeded more over winter and now I have a ton of them. They grow great from seed, which means it'll definitely be one of the main plant species I sell on my plant stand next spring.
View attachment 27136

I've read that goldenrod supports more pollinators than just about any other type of native plant. Most goldenrods are super aggressive, but Stiff Goldenrod is less aggressive and better looking (in my opinion). The leaves are very smooth. This is a small one that I didn't even know existed, and it's the first to bloom.
View attachment 27139

Sneezeweed is an attractive flower, even more so considering it blooms in a time of year where most everything else is fading away.
View attachment 27138

Lastly is Mexican Sunflower. One of the only non-native species I grow because of its importance to local wildlife. It's also a native that has to be planted every season, which means I don't have to worry about it escaping into the wild as other non-natives do. This time of year, it's frequently visited by migrating Ruby-throated Hummingbirds as well as Monarchs. I saw this Painted Lady on it this morning, and I also frequently see Eastern Tiger Swallowtails visiting it.
View attachment 27137

Love the last two photos, @JBtheExplorer . Beautiful flowers and perfect butterflies. I wish I had sown my tithonia seeds. Been in the fridge for 2 year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
and that's why i don't grow sunflowers.if they can't stand up by themselves or support themselves with a trellis, there is no hope for them. the lovely winds that come down from the mountain at 3:00 pm are heavenly and fresh. anything that can't stand up to them is toast including dahlias. stand up or get walked on
girl uncertain.gif

that is a very pretty guppy @MaryMary not just the tail but the entire guppy i hope he or she received a warm welcome:)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The phlox are on their second bloom! :)

0913171429.jpg

stand up or get walked on

Words to live by... ;) :LOL:

that is a very pretty guppy @MaryMary not just the tail but the entire guppy i hope he or she received a warm welcome:)

:) Thank you, Beverly! It's a male. I hope he receives a very warm welcome!! :sneaky: ;) :ROFLMAO: (I'm hoping that tail gets bred into future fry!)

You've taught me about butterflies and caterpillars, let me tell you a little about guppies and fry. :D The males are prettier, much more colorful. The females tend to be more beige - :unsure: I think it helps hide them predators.:cautious: The males are thinner, more streamlined, the females are often bigger, and bulkier. (Bigger and bulkier bears better broods! :ROFLMAO:.)

See the two beige ones with black spots on their tails? One just above the cucumber, (orange and black) and the other (yellow and black) in front of the plant? Those are females. And if you look closely at the one in front of the plant - see the little black spot in her belly? That's called a "gravid spot." She's pregnant, and those are the fry! (y) :D I can't really tell, I think the other one might be pregnant, too. (They can hold viable sperm in them for up to three broods from just one mating, so she probably is!! :rolleyes:.)

0227172223.jpg

You're supposed to keep a ratio of 4 or 5 females for every 1 male. Otherwise, he'll pay them too much attention, and it stresses the females. They either won't get pregnant, or they lose the fry because they just never get any peace. For that reason, if I buy new fish, I usually get females, but he was so pretty, I couldn't resist. :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@MaryMary i love the color of your phlox.

So it's a stud guppy, how cute
laughing girl2.gif
Thanks for the information i am close to clueless regarding aquarium fish. I had to look up "guppy". I didn't know it was a species; i have always thought guppies were baby fish
girl impossible.gif
Do i remember correctly that the females don't lay eggs, but give birth to the baby fish, and are those fish what you call "fry"?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@MaryMary
I like your guppy!
I also had it once. These were the only fish that could survive with me. Once I left for a long time and left the aquarium on the automatic maintenance. But something went wrong ...
scratch_one-s_head.gif

Heck! And I bought more guppy with beautiful tails.
facepalm.gif
Now I understand why they stopped multiplying.

6.jpg

5.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

12.jpg

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 212

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary
I like your guppy!
I also had it once. These were the only fish that could survive with me. Once I left for a long time and left the aquarium on the automatic maintenance. But something went wrong ...
scratch_one-s_head.gif

Heck! And I bought more guppy with beautiful tails.
facepalm.gif
Now I understand why they stopped multiplying.

View attachment 27190
View attachment 27191
View attachment 27192

View attachment 27194
View attachment 27195

Lovely hydrangea, @Larisa and what is the last blue beauty please?

Ask a Question