What's looking good in September 2017

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I swear I thought of your phalaenopsis this morning! I thought - when will he appear in this thread? :D

I heard you!! :D I'm psychotic psychic like that. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

What a wonderful phalaenopsis! Such an unusual color! (y)(y)(y)

I wish I had a better camera!! (n) There's a yellowy color that mine just doesn't pick up as well, and deep in the center there is the "leopard spotting" I see in the pictures of your orchids. :love:

Trying to get a little closer... and look!! A tiny, tiny bud!! :D

0904171631.jpg

Soon the yellow leaves outside the window? ;)

Oh, you bite your tongue!! :cautious: (n) But yes. :( Weather's crazy. One year, it got so cold so fast, they didn't have time to change color! Seemed like one day they were green, then the next day, Whump!! They all just fell off!! :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@zigs What a charming and cute sunflower! Like me.
blush.gif
:D

@Beverly This Jatropha does not form a caudex?

Goodbye, Summer!!

Yes, @MaryMary , I had to cut the flowers from begonia and throw it into the compost to prepare the tuber for the winter.
smilie_girl_110.gif

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Marigold. :)

3.jpg

1.jpg

Apples are few.

7.jpg

But a lot of pears. Aroma in the whole garden!

2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Beautiful @Larisa:) Love the marigolds.:love:

There are a few species of Jatropha that do not form caudex like the integerrima, multifida, and curcas and maybe more that i do not know about.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Autumn nectar sources are important to Monarchs in migration, but also to all sorts of pollinators that are slowly running out of food options before winter sets in.

One of the best autumn nectar sources is New England Aster. It's one of the Monarch's favorites. I've seen a dozen Monarchs on a single plant in the past, and that's why I added it to my native garden. I had about 6 last year, and then I heavily seeded more over winter and now I have a ton of them. They grow great from seed, which means it'll definitely be one of the main plant species I sell on my plant stand next spring.
IMG_6450 copy.jpg

I've read that goldenrod supports more pollinators than just about any other type of native plant. Most goldenrods are super aggressive, but Stiff Goldenrod is less aggressive and better looking (in my opinion). The leaves are very smooth. This is a small one that I didn't even know existed, and it's the first to bloom.
IMG_6444 copy.jpg

Sneezeweed is an attractive flower, even more so considering it blooms in a time of year where most everything else is fading away.
IMG_6340 copy.jpg

Lastly is Mexican Sunflower. One of the only non-native species I grow because of its importance to local wildlife. It's also a native that has to be planted every season, which means I don't have to worry about it escaping into the wild as other non-natives do. This time of year, it's frequently visited by migrating Ruby-throated Hummingbirds as well as Monarchs. I saw this Painted Lady on it this morning, and I also frequently see Eastern Tiger Swallowtails visiting it.
IMG_6452 copy.jpg

Ask a Question