What's in the news today?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Mummy, I see dead people! These children all have invisible friends who really existed - and can give details about them that they would have no way of finding out for themselves
  • Rosalyn, three, revealed she had 'dead' friends to her mother, Rebecca Evans
  • Mrs Evans, a journalist, said she had never talked to her daughter about death
  • Records show children with names of 'dead' friends lived at the house in 1800s
source

Very unsettling!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes children are able to see ghosts but grow out of it. If they don't, they're psychic. It probably runs in families who lived at the house.
My sister in law saw a ghost once. My other sister in law saw her dead mother. Keith saw a ghost at his flat.

The kingfisher shopping centre is built on a old grave yard and late at night the cleaners see ghosts there.:eek::eek:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes children are able to see ghosts but grow out of it. If they don't, they're psychic. It probably runs in families who lived at the house.
My sister in law saw a ghost once. My other sister in law saw her dead mother. Keith saw a ghost at his flat.

The kingfisher shopping centre is built on a old grave yard and late at night the cleaners see ghosts there.:eek::eek:

Please stay away from me. I also hope all the reckless Audi drivers stay away from me too. Not all of them are killers, but I have seen enough antics from some!

'I took my helmet off so I thought you'd stop chasing me': Moped muggers are stunned their getaway tactics no longer protect them as the Met's 'Scorpion' squad rams thieves off the roads in new war on crime
  • Footage shows Met Police's new tactics in fighting back against moped thieves
  • A video released today shows them ramming fleeing moped's to stop getaways
  • London has been plagued by scooter yobs stealing phones, watches and bags
  • Police say some moped robbers have targeted as many as 30 victims in an hour

WzYyNDExMjAxOCwiY3hvLmEiLCJodHRwczovL2kuZGFpbHltYWlsLmNvLnVrLzFzLzIwMTgvMTEvMjMvMTIvNjU1NjM1MC02NDIxMjgzLU1vaGFtbWFkX0toYWxlZ2hpX3doZW5faGVfZmFpbGVkX3RvX3N0b3Bfb25faGlzX21vcGVkX2luLWEtNl8xNTQyOTc3OTQxMjU5LmpwZyIsInJuZDc4NTciLCJkNGMwNDE2Il0=
WzYyNDExMjAxOCwiY3hvLmEiLCJodHRwczovL2kuZGFpbHltYWlsLmNvLnVrLzFzLzIwMTgvMTEvMjMvMTEvNjU1MTc4NC02NDIxMjgzLWltYWdlLWEtMjNfMTU0Mjk3MzM5NDU2My5qcGciLCJybmQ3ODU3IiwiZDRjMDQxNiJd

I can see this bumping tactics phased out as these moped muggers will surely mobilise their legal lackeys to do their dirty work! Oh, I suffer from a broken leg, whiplash, or even damage to the flea-brain! A treasure trove for the legal lackeys!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In this case, the missionary was a bit patronising, thinking that his religion was so good that it should be shared. I would leave these people be and let them lead their own lives and not intrude on their privacy! He might give them disease and vice versa. Respect others' way of life!

Sadly, a lot of customers are suckers!
It's very true that we could easily wipe them out by giving them disease in which their immune system is conditioned for, which could be deadly to the entire population. However, I don't think the missionary has any worry of contracting a disease, or should I say, that's the least of his worries:whistle:;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I can't believe how expensive fuel is across the pond...Although, I sometimes wish that, here in America, gas prices would rise to $10 per gallon, just so there would be less cars on the road --- I guess that makes me a selfish cyclist:D

Around here I have to be careful of expressing that wish...:censored:It could make me a target:D

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46233560

Excerpt:

What has happened so far?
Some 280,000 people took part in protests across France, the interior ministry said in its latest update.

It said 227 people were injured during the day, seven seriously, with 52 people arrested.

Most of the protests have been taking place without incident although several of the injuries came when drivers tried to force their way through protesters.

Chantal Mazet, 63, was killed in the south-eastern Savoy region when a driver who was taking her daughter to hospital panicked at being blocked by about 50 demonstrators, who were striking the roof of her vehicle, and drove into them.

The driver has been taken into police custody in a state of shock.

In Paris protesters approaching the Élysée Palace, the president's official residence, were repelled with tear gas.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's very true that we could easily wipe them out by giving them disease in which their immune system is conditioned for, which could be deadly to the entire population. However, I don't think the missionary has any worry of contracting a disease, or should I say, that's the least of his worries:whistle:;)

Well, he must have thought that these people would do better with his religion. Religions are useful to a lot of people, but the ultimate search for truth should allow people the free will to challenge religions, gods, time-honoured beliefs and doctrines. If I saw him coming, I would run a mile. It's too claustrophobic for me!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I really like the idea of people cycling around instead of using their gas guzzlers for a short journey. Yesterday, I walked 2 hours from and to the town centre, a punishment for losing my bus pass! And I thought it would be good for my arthritic knees and lazy muscles. Oh, dear! The air was fouled by incessant torrent of traffic! I felt like holding my breath.

When I visited China nearly 30 years ago, I could hear thousands of cycling bells ding ding ding .. and it was so nice. The air was clean and it was like a mass movement very early in the morning. Cycling is so much better for our health and the environment.

As we can see, Chinese and South Koreans are now suffering from the lack of healthy and safety measures in a hurried bid to provide the west with the latest gadgets which are now fads .. chucked and slowed down when there is a new version.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I can't believe how expensive fuel is across the pond...Although, I sometimes wish that, here in America, gas prices would rise to $10 per gallon, just so there would be less cars on the road --- I guess that makes me a selfish cyclist:D

Around here I have to be careful of expressing that wish...:censored:It could make me a target:D

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46233560

Excerpt:

What has happened so far?
Some 280,000 people took part in protests across France, the interior ministry said in its latest update.

It said 227 people were injured during the day, seven seriously, with 52 people arrested.

Most of the protests have been taking place without incident although several of the injuries came when drivers tried to force their way through protesters.

Chantal Mazet, 63, was killed in the south-eastern Savoy region when a driver who was taking her daughter to hospital panicked at being blocked by about 50 demonstrators, who were striking the roof of her vehicle, and drove into them.

The driver has been taken into police custody in a state of shock.

In Paris protesters approaching the Élysée Palace, the president's official residence, were repelled with tear gas.

The French can be very militants and I guess a lot of British businesses have been bankrupted or suffered loss when the dock workers stopped the goods transport with their strikes ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Rewilding of the countryside

Inside the 'rewilded' English farm that offers an African-style safari on land left to its own devices for nearly 20 years
  • Phoebe Weston visited a rewilding project at Knepp Estate in Sussex, just 45 miles from London
  • In 2000 owners Charlie Burrell and Isabella Tree sold farm machinery and left their land to its own devices
  • Their unprofitable, intensive arable and dairy farm turned into land governed by natural processes
  • Now, just 18 years later, it is home to 441 species of moth, with endangered species turning up every year
  • It's also home to all five types of British owl, cuckoos, spotted flycatchers, woodlarks and lapwings
WzE1MjQxMTIwMTgsImN4by5hIiwiaHR0cHM6Ly9pLmRhaWx5bWFpbC5jby51ay8xcy8yMDE4LzExLzIyLzE5LzQ4NjE5OTAtNjI1MzMzMy1UaGV5X3Nwb3R0ZWRfdGFtd29ydGhfcGlnc19waWN0dXJlZF9iYWl0aW5nX2VhY2hfb3RoZXJfZXhtb29yX3BvLWEtMjFfMTU0MjkxNDExNTc2Mi5qcGciLCJybmQ3ODU3IiwiZDRjMDQxNiJd

Tamworth pigs! Not always welcome by farmers!
WzE1MjQxMTIwMTgsImN4by5hIiwiaHR0cHM6Ly9pLmRhaWx5bWFpbC5jby51ay8xcy8yMDE4LzExLzIyLzE5LzQ4NjE5OTgtNjI1MzMzMy1PbmVfdGhpbmdfVHJlZV9maW5kc19wYXJ0aWN1bGFybHlfZXhjaXRpbmdfaXNfdGhlX3NwZWVkX2F0X3doaWNoLWEtMjhfMTU0MjkxNDExNzYzNS5qcGciLCJybmQ3ODU3IiwiZDRjMDQxNiJd

WzE1MjQxMTIwMTgsImN4by5hIiwiaHR0cHM6Ly9pLmRhaWx5bWFpbC5jby51ay8xcy8yMDE4LzExLzIyLzE5LzQ4NjIwMTQtNjI1MzMzMy1QaWN0dXJlZF9pc190aGVfZW50cmFuY2VfdG9fdGhlX2NhbXBzaXRlX3doZXJlX1Bob2ViZV9hbmRfSW5pX3N0LWEtMjlfMTU0MjkxNDExNzczNC5qcGciLCJybmQ3ODU3IiwiZDRjMDQxNiJd

Pictured is the entrance to the campsite where Phoebe and Ini stayed. Camping costs £17/person and is available from April until October

Sounds like an advert, but hey, a rather wholesome process!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The French can be very militants and I guess a lot of British businesses have been bankrupted or suffered loss when the dock workers stopped the goods transport with their strikes ..
I was in the U.S. Navy for 23 years and been to Europe quite a bit and it seemed (albeit based on casual observations) that the French and Spanish protested and went on strike a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here's more information on the American missionary. It answers a couple questions I had, such as 1) Are the fishermen that took him to the island in danger of prosecution? And What's the family's position on getting the body back and their thoughts on what happened?

If you open the link, there are several videos that answer these questions and more...

P.S. On my computer the default setting for the audio is muted, I think it's standard for Yahoo News, just un-mute and you'll hear the reports...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-missionarys-body-could-lost-battle-preserve-isolated-082315515.html

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I was in the U.S. Navy for 23 years and been to Europe quite a bit and it seemed (albeit based on casual observations) that the French and Spanish protested and went on strike a lot.

Surtout les Francais!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Here's more information on the American missionary. It answers a couple questions I had, such as 1) Are the fishermen that took him to the island in danger of prosecution? And What's the family's position on getting the body back and their thoughts on what happened?

If you open the link, there are several videos that answer these questions and more...

P.S. On my computer the default setting for the audio is muted, I think it's standard for Yahoo News, just un-mute and you'll hear the reports...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-missionarys-body-could-lost-battle-preserve-isolated-082315515.html

Could load the video. Chau is actually of Chinese descent. He has been warned and should respect these tribes. Or as they say, go there naked .. with probably underwear on. I think his family should just leave his body there! He died of doing something he was very eager to do. He would probably rest in peace!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The UAE is trampling human rights. Man City must finally speak out
source

If nations around the world would not dare to speak out for fear of losing arm deals revenues and the ensuing unemployment, how does this writer expect Man City to say anything?

Ask a Question