What's in the news today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Does anybody remember when the plastic bags came and they were considered green compared to the paper bags? How vain we were!
Interesting take on paper vs plastic bags..

http://www.allaboutbags.ca/papervplastic.html

Excerpt:

Plastic Bags and Natural Gas

• Plastic bags were invented as an alternative to paper grocery bags in the late 1970s to protect trees and prevent clear-cutting of our forests.
  • Plastic bags are a by-product of natural gas extraction and provide an environmental solution to the burn off of this gas during the refining process.
  • The polyethylene material used for conventional plastic shopping bags is made from ethane, which is the strand of natural gas that is burned off during the refining process to lower the BTU value of the gas so that the gas does not burn too hot (so it can be used as fuel in our homes).
  • Essentially, the strand of ethane gas is conserved, captured and frozen before it can be burned off into the atmosphere.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Your first sentence just makes me chuckle. 2nd I don't understand. 3rd I agree. The lovely sunshine makes my heart sing, on the top of the chuckle! Good one, Logan! :LOL: But don't presume for one moment you're an expert! LOL!
No I'm not.:)LOL.

The second sentence, if all the fruit and veg are not in plastic bags on the shelves in the shops, they won't stay fresh so long.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
So how about people moaning about plastic crisp wrapper which stays the same even after 50 years? I am confused. Bio-degradable plastic and plastic that needs to be incinerated.. and yoghurt pot ... @johnny canoe and @roadrunner , please explain a bit more.

Perhaps, paper bags are not a good idea as they break easily. How about jute bags? Strong and sturdy and reliable.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Haven't heard of jute bags. Yoghurt pots should be alright to recycle, but not the foil top look on the pots to see what it says about it.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Haven't heard of jute bags. Yoghurt pots should be alright to recycle, but not the foil top look on the pots to see what it says about it.:)

images

My favorite is the homebase one with lots of dogs and I paid 49p for about 7 of them, gifted one to my friend who has no car and one to ex. Love them.

I just don't recycle yoghurt pots and we seldom buy yoghurt, but did buy one Liberté, a pretentious REDUCED pack of 4 on Thursday! Not keen on the amount of sugar.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
images

My favorite is the homebase one with lots of dogs and I paid 49p for about 7 of them, gifted one to my friend who has no car and one to ex. Love them.

I just don't recycle yoghurt pots and we seldom buy yoghurt, but did buy one Liberté, a pretentious REDUCED pack of 4 on Thursday! Not keen on the amount of sugar.
That looks like a good bag.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hubby went to morissons and bought grapefruit, 2 in this bag.
IMG_20181119_120342.jpg

Sainsbury's still using plastic bags,I always re-use them, bananas in this one.
IMG_20181119_120356.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hubby went to morissons and bought grapefruit, 2 in this bag.
View attachment 47237
Sainsbury's still using plastic bags,I always re-use them, bananas in this one.
View attachment 47238

The end of the day, you can't really put wine in a paper bag! Even though shops charge 5p for a bag, I still see a lot of people paying for them.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Iceland Possibly To Blame For “Worst Year To Be Alive” In World History

source

Eight-foot tall termite mounds as old as the PYRAMIDS that cover an area larger than Britain are discovered in the Amazon (and they can be seen from space!)
  • The 4000-year-old mounds cover an area greater than Great Britain
  • Mounds are not nests but are the result of the insects' excavation of tunnels
  • Termites' activities over thousands of years resulted in large soil deposits
    Source
WzYyMDExMjAxOCwiY3hvLmEiLCJodHRwczovL2kuZGFpbHltYWlsLmNvLnVrLzFzLzIwMTgvMTEvMTkvMTQvNjM4Mjk1NC0wLWltYWdlLWEtNF8xNTQyNjM4MjI0MjA0LmpwZyIsInJuZDc4NTciLCJkNGMwNDE2Il0=

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Earth is swallowing TRILLIONS of tons of water into its interior as tectonic plates collide beneath the ocean, scientists find
  • Scientists say water become trapped rock at subduction zones as plate travels
  • Here, it can be pulled more than 60 miles into Earth's mantle, researchers found
  • Every million years, Earth drags 3 billion teragrams of water into its interior

source

Please mother nature, leave some for our daily use!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I use Jute bags now all the time when I go shopping, but I didn't know, until now, that was their name...Jute Bag:)

When termites excavate all that dirt, how do they keep their tunnel systems from caving in?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I use Jute bags now all the time when I go shopping, but I didn't know, until now, that was their name...Jute Bag:)

When termites excavate all that dirt, how do they keep their tunnel systems from caving in?

They probably have the ingenuity of "cementing their mount" by secreting certain material. We human should explore what it is which can leave the mounts standing like that and use it to build our houses. Probably more ecological than our cement and concrete! LOL!

Talking about Jute bag! At one point, some company produced a very chic jute bag and everybody who's brand mad wanted one! Just tell you! This world is full of sad followers and brand crazy vain-gots!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
So sad!

Lance’s last stand: Defiant ex-soldier is ordered to STOP trying to save his home as it hangs over cliff as the ONLY surviving property on coastline destroyed by the Beast from the East
  • Lance Martin, 61, decided to act when a storm left his home hanging over a Hemsby cliff on Norfolk coast
  • The former serviceman managed to salvage his chalet and has been carrying out work to prepare for winter
  • But the borough council has now banned him from carrying out any more work that involves the beach
  • Planning rules prevent him from building his own sea defences despite precarious position of the chalet
  • WzE4MjAxMTIwMTgsImN4by5hIiwiaHR0cHM6Ly9pLmRhaWx5bWFpbC5jby51ay8xcy8yMDE4LzExLzIwLzE1LzY0MzAyNDYtNjQxMDEzMy1pbWFnZS1hLTEwMV8xNTQyNzI3MjM5ODQ2LmpwZyIsInJuZDc4NTciLCJkNGMwNDE2Il0=

WzE4MjAxMTIwMTgsImN4by5hIiwiaHR0cHM6Ly9pLmRhaWx5bWFpbC5jby51ay8xcy8yMDE4LzExLzIwLzE2LzY0MzAzMTItNjQxMDEzMy1pbWFnZS1hLTEzOF8xNTQyNzMyNDQxMDczLmpwZyIsInJuZDc4NTciLCJkNGMwNDE2Il0=

source

Man proposes and god disposes! Or rather Nature disposes! Enough to bring tears to your eyes! Managed retreat is the only way left! :inpain::inpain::cry:

Ask a Question