What's in the news today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well, this isn't your standard news organization, rather it specializes in Bike News:D

And the news of the day is HIIT:dead: High Intensity Interval Training:wideyed:

Bottom line, don't just do 30-minutes of easy cardio....It's all about your mitochondria:):geek:

https://www.bicycling.com/training/...tm_source=nl_byc&utm_medium=email&date=112718

Excerpt:

What HIIT Means for You

Most of us already ride a lot because as endurance athletes, that’s our thing. But even if you’re already fit, you can still reap measurable benefits from adding HIIT to your training regimen, says exercise physiology professor and coach Paul Laursen, Ph.D., endurance coach, author of The Science and Application of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), and contributor to HIITscience.com.

For cyclists who like to go long, HIIT can be part of a smart base-building strategy. “Your base comes down to your mitochondrial capacity,” Laursen says. “Longer, lower-intensity exercise increases the number of mitochondria in your cells, which is why people perform long, steady endurance exercise to build base. But high-intensity training makes those mitochondria more powerful,” he says, noting that research also shows that high-intensity exercise performed regularly can stimulate the production of mitochondria, as well.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@roadrunner I have worked out that you like to torture yourself! LOL! Aerobic exercises are good, but said to be very painful. Squatting when you have knee arthritis is no laughing matter. And now High Intensity Training! You must be very, very fit. I am a total coward - would sit on my armchair and just tighten and relax my muscle whilst watching TV.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How China is quietly weaponizing overseas tourism

source

Diversification is so important.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
'Putin wants my whole country' warns Ukraine's President Poroshenko as he calls for Merkel to come to his aid and NATO vessels to sail to the region

Russia seized three Ukrainian navy ships and their crews on Sunday near the Crimean peninsula, which Moscow annexed in 2014, over what it said was their illegal entry into Russian waters - a charge Ukraine strongly refutes.

source

And winter is right here and Germany knows about it.

Little boy who asked the postman to take a birthday card 'to my dad in heaven' receives a letter from Royal Mail assuring him it's been 'delivered safely'

• Teri Copland shared the heartwarming response her son got from the Royal Mail
  • Jase, seven, asked the postman to deliver a letter to his late father 'in heaven'
  • The postal service wrote to tell him his birthday card had been delivered safely
Jase, who lost his dad, James, in 2014 after his sudden death, aged only 28, later received a letter from the postal service telling him how the postman had navigated 'stars and other galactic objects' to get the 'important item of mail' to his dad.

In a now viral post, Teri thanked the Royal Mail for taking the time to send the letter, saying it 'means the world' to her son and has 'restored my faith in humanity'.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...g-little-boy-delivered-letter-dad-heaven.html
:cry::cry::cry:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
After the massive cow, meet the colossal cockerel! Farmer reveals 3ft tall bird has settled down - with TWO hens
  • Merakli, who lives on a farm in Kosovo, is 3ft tall and weighs a whopping 7.7kg
  • The Brahma chicken went viral last year after footage of him was shared online
  • Now, his owner has revealed that Merakli has settled down - with two hens

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
    WzYyOTExMjAxOCwiY3hvLmEiLCJodHRwczovL2kuZGFpbHltYWlsLmNvLnVrLzFzLzIwMTgvMTEvMjgvMjAvNjc2MzQ5MC02NDM5NjQ3LWltYWdlLWEtMTNfMTU0MzQzNzI0MTAzNC5qcGciLCJybmQ3ODU3IiwiZDRjMDQxNiJd

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
'Russian tanks are massing at the border,' Ukraine's President Poroshenko warns hours after saying 'Putin wants my whole country'

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Southwest Airlines agent mocked five-year-old epileptic girl named Abcde for her unique moniker and posted a picture of her boarding pass on Facebook
  • Traci Redford's daughter's name is Abcde and is pronounced as 'ab-city'
  • On November 4, they were boarding a Southwest Airlines flight in Orange County, California
  • An agent began laughing when Traci handed over their boarding passes
  • She then took a picture of it and posted it on Facebook to share with friends
  • Southwest Airlines said it had spoken to the employee about it but would not share whether or not she had been fired

Does the pronunciation rule apply to this
WzYzMDExMjAxOCwiY3hvLmEiLCJodHRwczovL2kuZGFpbHltYWlsLmNvLnVrLzFzLzIwMTgvMTEvMjkvMTMvNjc5NDg5NC0wLWltYWdlLWEtMl8xNTQzNDk4MzEyMzUyLmpwZyIsInJuZDc4NTciLCJkNGMwNDE2Il0=

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Southwest Airlines agent mocked five-year-old epileptic girl named Abcde for her unique moniker and posted a picture of her boarding pass on Facebook
  • Traci Redford's daughter's name is Abcde and is pronounced as 'ab-city'
  • On November 4, they were boarding a Southwest Airlines flight in Orange County, California
  • An agent began laughing when Traci handed over their boarding passes
  • She then took a picture of it and posted it on Facebook to share with friends
  • Southwest Airlines said it had spoken to the employee about it but would not share whether or not she had been fired

Does the pronunciation rule apply to this
WzYzMDExMjAxOCwiY3hvLmEiLCJodHRwczovL2kuZGFpbHltYWlsLmNvLnVrLzFzLzIwMTgvMTEvMjkvMTMvNjc5NDg5NC0wLWltYWdlLWEtMl8xNTQzNDk4MzEyMzUyLmpwZyIsInJuZDc4NTciLCJkNGMwNDE2Il0=

If this mother thinks this is the only time her daughter will be mocked for this unusual name, she is sorely mistaken.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
'Russian tanks are massing at the border,' Ukraine's President Poroshenko warns hours after saying 'Putin wants my whole country'
I've been wondering about this pipeline since Russia has started the latest belligerent acts against Ukraine.

I just don't understand why any State would benefit Russia with such a lucrative deal. Get your gas somewhere else....:banghead::banghead:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I've been wondering about this pipeline since Russia has started the latest belligerent acts against Ukraine.

I just don't understand why any State would benefit Russia with such a lucrative deal. Get your gas somewhere else....:banghead::banghead:

Perhaps, Germany should get their energy from France! But then you don't heat your house with nuclear energy!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Fairy-tale castle

WzE1MzAxMTIwMTgsImN4by5hIiwiaHR0cHM6Ly9pLmRhaWx5bWFpbC5jby51ay8xcy8yMDE4LzExLzMwLzExLzY4MzYxNDQtNjQ0NjIzNS1pbWFnZS1tLTUzXzE1NDM1NzcxMzk2NjAuanBnIiwicm5kNzg1NyIsImQ0YzA0MTYiXQ==

source

Lovely details and I love the round bit most. The pillars are full of wonderful details. Modern furniture just doesn't sit well with the decor!

Devizes Castle, Wiltshire

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Banning plastic WON'T help the environment! Replacement materials including metal and glass could TRIPLE greenhouse gas emissions
  • Manufacturing of materials like glass and metal will double energy consumption
  • Campaigners have called for reductions or bans, but team say shortsighted
  • Team, Herriot-Watt University, say we need to move towards a 'circular economy'
  • Academics say we need to replace plastic with better materials for the planet
WzYxMTIyMDE4LCJjeG8uYSIsImh0dHBzOi8vaS5kYWlseW1haWwuY28udWsvMXMvMjAxOC8xMS8zMC8wMC93aXJlLTY4MTg2MDgtMTU0MzUzNjI1My01MDhfNjM0eDM5NC5qcGciLCJybmQ3ODU3IiwiZDRjMDQxNiJd

WzYxMTIyMDE4LCJjeG8uYSIsImh0dHBzOi8vaS5kYWlseW1haWwuY28udWsvaS9uZXdwaXgvMjAxOC8wMi8xOS8xNC80OTYxM0UwQzAwMDAwNTc4LTU0MDg5NzMtTWljcm9wbGFzdGljc19hcmVfc21hbGxfcGxhc3RpY19wZWxsZXRzX3JhbmdpbmdfaW5fc2l6ZV9mcm9tXzBfNS1hLTFfMTUxOTA1MDk3OTkyMS5qcGciLCJybmQ3ODU3IiwiZDRjMDQxNiJd

source

Can the UK cope with MORE electric cars? Three year project will see 3,000 vehicles take to British roads to test energy demands on the national grid
  • Regulator Ofgem has approved the three-year project led by a group of firms
  • British Gas-owner Centrica and Uber are among the companies backing project
  • It aims to assess the impact of more electric vehicles on cables and substations

source

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
WzYxMTIyMDE4LCJjeG8uYSIsImh0dHBzOi8vaS5kYWlseW1haWwuY28udWsvMXMvMjAxOC8xMS8zMC8yMS82ODQ4NTQwLTY0NDgxMjctaW1hZ2UtYS02M18xNTQzNjEzNjI3Njk3LmpwZyIsInJuZDc4NTciLCJkNGMwNDE2Il0=

I have gas and some other gas in a bottle, one says. Tanks BLESSED by priests ..

I have money and buy arms from .....and they have to be used somewhere.. Yemen ..

Just food for thought .. No comments please!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
WzkxMTIyMDE4LCJjeG8uYSIsImh0dHBzOi8vaS5kYWlseW1haWwuY28udWsvMXMvMjAxOC8xMi8wMS8wMy82ODY4MTU0LTY0NDc4NDUtVGhpc19hZXJpYWxfcGhvdG9fc2hvd3NfZGFtYWdlX29uX1ZpbmVfUm9hZF9zb3V0aF9vZl9XYXNpbGxhX0FsYS1hLTE1XzE1NDM2MzYzMzk2MzAuanBnIiwicm5kNzg1NyIsImQ0YzA0MTYiXQ==

Shocking earthquake near Anchorage!

Facial recognition to be deployed at a marathon in China to stop cheats after hundreds of runners were caught taking shortcuts
  • Athletes taking part on Sunday's Kunming Marathon must carry a valid ID
  • System is used to ensure people do not get someone else to run for them
  • A total of 258 runners were found cheating during a half marathon last Sunday
  • Their act was caught by surveillance footage and exposed by Shenzhen police

source
Isn't it sad!?

Ask a Question