What's in the news today?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@roadrunner I had read about this and I thought that was a small pin, turned out to be stadium sized?! Whoa! Will read in detail later. I was saying to myself - why the fuss about this tiny pin? LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A very sad story
  • Heroic mother gazelle and giant eagle become locked in a stand off after the bird of prey attacked her baby
  • She then charges at eagle and they trade blows during tense scene in Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya
  • But menacing bird stands its ground, fends off mother and manages to keep baby gazelle trapped in its talons

WzY4MTEyMDE4LCJjeG8uYSIsImh0dHBzOi8vaS5kYWlseW1haWwuY28udWsvMXMvMjAxOC8xMS8wNy8xNS81ODc4NjMwLTYzNjI2MjEtVW5zdWNjZXNzZnVsX1RoZV9nYXplbGxlX2RvZXNuX3RfbWFuYWdlX3RvX2ZyZWVfaGVyX3lvdW5nX2Zyb21fdC1hLTdfMTU0MTYwMzU0MzA2OS5qcGciLCJybmQ3ODU3IiwiMGViYmY5YSJd

Another bitter sweet story

'There are babies everywhere': Octavius the lone octopus aquarium workers thought was male gives birth to thousands of babies
  • Aquarium curator found tank holding 'Octavius' the octopus was full of 'confetti'
  • After taking a closer look he realized there were thousands of baby octopuses
  • However, female octopuses die after giving birth

source

And this biggest skate escapes the claw of consumerism
    WzY4MTEyMDE4LCJjeG8uYSIsImh0dHBzOi8vaS5kYWlseW1haWwuY28udWsvMXMvMjAxOC8xMS8wNy8yMi81OTA1OTg0LTYzNjUxODEtaW1hZ2UtYS03Nl8xNTQxNjMwODYyNDgxLmpwZyIsInJuZDc4NTciLCIwZWJiZjlhIl0=
A real thrill to see the record! Source

The greatest skate! Angler catches largest of the rays ever landed at 8ft 3in long, weighing 300lb, and with a seven foot wingspan… that took more than an hour to reel in

• Hamish Currie, 59, caught the biggest skate ever landed off Portrush, Northern Ireland, in June this year
    • The 8ft 3in long fish was tagged for conservation purposes and put back into the ocean within minutes
    • With a 7ft wingspan, it is almost 100lb heavier than the previous world record for a giant common skate

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic Can't see the video and I have tried several times.
Probably just delete the android references at the end of the search string that take you to the mobileweb version. Without those characters it should be a normal search string. @Becky?@Ian?@zigs? Help! I am drowning in technology!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Fracking is still going ahead despite such concerns. The country is so small and so built up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love this so called news

Who needs Tinder? Hilarious 1950s dating guide reveals the best ways to find a man - including not working with women, getting lost at football matches and being nice ALL the time
  • Several pages from an unknown 1950s dating book have been circulating on social media - and include some dating gems
  • The section entitled 129 ways to get a husband includes tips such as 'start a whispering campaign about how 'sought-after' you are
  • Other nuggets include avoiding companies that employ large numbers of women and pretending to get lost at football matches

source

LOL!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Love this so called news

Who needs Tinder? Hilarious 1950s dating guide reveals the best ways to find a man - including not working with women, getting lost at football matches and being nice ALL the time
  • Several pages from an unknown 1950s dating book have been circulating on social media - and include some dating gems
  • The section entitled 129 ways to get a husband includes tips such as 'start a whispering campaign about how 'sought-after' you are
  • Other nuggets include avoiding companies that employ large numbers of women and pretending to get lost at football matches

source

LOL!
Check the linky link. Its going back to GF

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, @DirtMechanic ! it should work now.

How about this one

Well he did ask for a window seat! Moaning passenger left stunned by flight attendant's cheeky response to his demand for a view
  • Passenger had requested a window seat but ended up sat next to a blank wall
  • He asked the flight attendant if he could be moved to be given a window seat
  • But she responded by drawing a picture of a window and stuck it next to him

WzE1MTIxMTIwMTgsImN4by5hIiwiaHR0cHM6Ly9pLmRhaWx5bWFpbC5jby51ay8xcy8yMDE4LzExLzEyLzEyLzYwODM1MDItNjM4MDEyNy1pbWFnZS1tLTMwXzE1NDIwMjY1MzU5MjAuanBnIiwicm5kNzg1NyIsImYwNWE4MjIiXQ==

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely news this morning

'Dad was told - this is your wheelchair, get used to it': Paralysed Superman star Christopher Reeve's son opens up as actor's legacy sees patients finally walk again thanks to pioneering treatment.

Matthew explains: ‘For now we will continue to fund electrical stimulation, as the results are truly astonishing and leading to a lot of thinking about how the spinal cord works.’

Last month another group of researchers, based in Switzerland, published a paper in the journal Nature revealing that the same technology had allowed patients to walk about half a mile when the implant was turned on.

They also found something unexpected: the treatment was helping damaged nerves in the spine to regrow.

‘We’re learning that the spinal cord is not just a simple “telephone wire” that carries signals from the brain to the body but is smart and capable of learning — or relearning,’ says Matthew.

WzYxMzExMjAxOCwiY3hvLmEiLCJodHRwczovL2kuZGFpbHltYWlsLmNvLnVrLzFzLzIwMTgvMTEvMTIvMjIvNjEwMzYzMi02MzgxODgzLWltYWdlLW0tMl8xNTQyMDYwODc0NzE3LmpwZyIsInJuZDc4NTciLCI5MzY3ODU0Il0=

Great man whose memories live on!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Scientist who discovered giant interstellar comet 'Oumuamua hits out at 'wild speculation' it is an alien spacecraft sent to study us
  • Two researchers at Harvard University say cigar-shaped rock zooming through our solar system may have been sent by aliens using a giant solar sail
  • Mysterious object Oumuamua arrived in our solar system in October 2017
  • Robert Weryk discovered strange object in 2017 at the University of Hawaii's Institute for Astronomy - and says the Harvard paper is 'wild speculation'
source

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Never worry about losing the remote again: Samsung developing TV controlled by your BRAIN
  • System would let users flick channels and adjust the volume with their brains
  • Prototype uses a headset covered with 64 sensors and an eye-motion tracker
  • It could allow people with severe disabilities to interact with their TV sets

source

I wish someone would invent a gadget tracking my glasses and keys ... I have spent half of my life looking for them. Even now, I don't know where my bunch of keys is!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Google is hit by 'worst ever' internet hijack: Users' search, cloud and business services intercepted by Nigeria, China and Russia in 'wargame experiment'
  • An internet traffic diversion disrupted Google services and re-routed its data
  • Interruptions lasted for nearly 1.5 hours until 10:30pm GMT (5:30pm EST)
  • Russian, Chinese and Nigerian internet service providers were involved
  • Google said it had no reason to believe the traffic hijacking was malicious
  • Network intelligence experts disagree and believe it may have been a wargame

Source

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Google is hit by 'worst ever' internet hijack: Users' search, cloud and business services intercepted by Nigeria, China and Russia in 'wargame experiment'
  • An internet traffic diversion disrupted Google services and re-routed its data
  • Interruptions lasted for nearly 1.5 hours until 10:30pm GMT (5:30pm EST)
  • Russian, Chinese and Nigerian internet service providers were involved
  • Google said it had no reason to believe the traffic hijacking was malicious
  • Network intelligence experts disagree and believe it may have been a wargame

Source
It's when you sign in when it become more of a problem on tracking your stuff...that's one thing I never do and history etc is cleared daily.

Ask a Question