What's in the news today?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We are not speaking of "law-abiding". we are talking about confused / disoriented folks because of some sort of dementia. and they are not self-fish or reckless. they just do not have anymore the mental understanding that they have lost the ability to drive. Again, back to my first statement, it takes those around them to step in to stop them. Either by taking the keys away, or disabling their car.

There are those as well!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This is one of my pet peeves -- keeping trash separate from recyclables and not throwing non-recyclables in the recycling bin.

In Seattle Washington, they go thru your recycling bins to ensure all is good. http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-seattle-trash-cops-20160415-story.html

Although, not sure if they're still doing this, since China has stopped taking so much recycling, since people can't do it correctly...

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...efused-to-recycle-the-wests-plastics-what-now

Have no access to the first link. It's utterly stupid to ask people to sort through all the various items. I have seen loads of bins, crates and whatnots outside houses. I am surprised people can get out of their front gate!

images

People here are suggesting incinerating plastic as China has stopped taking rubbish from the west. Who can blame them? I have seen photos in which men squatted next to a make-shift fire trying to extract mercury from discarded computer parts

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/30/world/asia/china-electronic-waste-e-waste/index.html

Every time I go to the tip, the amount of fridges and freezers and computers dumped there never fails to amaze me. What are we doing to our world? Computers are the worst! People change their peripherals because the latter doesn't talk to the former or the former is too slow or too old and owners would rather die than be seen with it. Or there is no support from software...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
ITV comedy boss apologises after he is exposed as party-goer who dressed up as murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's executioner for Jonathan Ross's Halloween celebration
  • Asif Zubairy, 57, is head of commissioning for comedy and entertainment at ITV
  • He was pictured in a bloodied jacket and carrying a severed hand at Ross's party
  • Mr Zubairy has worked on game show Don't Ask Me Ask Britain and It Takes Two
  • Journalist Jamal Khashoggi was murdered at his country's consulate in Istanbul

WzYyMTEyMDE4LCJjeG8uYSIsImh0dHBzOi8vaS5kYWlseW1haWwuY28udWsvMXMvMjAxOC8xMS8wMi8wMC81NjcwMTMwLTYzNDM2NzUtQXNpZl9adWJhaXJ5XzU3X3dob19pc19JVFZfc19oZWFkX29mX2NvbW1pc3Npb25pbmdfZm9yX2NvbWVkeV9hbi1tLTEwM18xNTQxMTE5OTE0NjA3LmpwZyIsInJuZDc4NTciLCJlYjIzNDZmIl0=

This mindless clown dressed up like this to a Halloween party!
upload_2018-11-2_8-13-50.png

Source

Totally repugnant!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How did you meet your spouse? Will you pay a dating agency for love?

'Men say they want a successful woman, but they don't': Financial adviser reveals how elite dating agency that charged her £12,600 to sign up broke her heart after failing to find her a single match
  • XXXXXXXX, 47, went to an exclusive international dating agency, Seventy Thirty
  • She was looking for new relationship and fourth child after two failed marriages
  • But with only around 100 active male members she had no dates for £12,600 fee
  • Wrote a damning Google review and was sued for libel through the High Court

source

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Another day, another shooting in the US!

Pictured: Gunman, 40, who opened fire on a Tallahassee yoga class, killing a 21-year-old woman and a female doctor, 61, and wounding five others before committing suicide
  • Gunman opened fire at a hot yoga studio in Tallahassee, Florida's capital city
  • Killed two and wounded at five others before turning the gun on himself
  • Witnesses said he was tall and bearded, and was acting strangely in the studio
  • Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum is breaking off campaign trail to return to city

Source

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Are you a herbivore or carnivore or a vegan?

Carnivores Versus herbivores or Vegans??

Food critic William Sitwell quit as editor of Waitrose Food magazine after making a joke about killing vegans.

This bit makes me laugh!

Harrods has employed its first ‘vegetable butcher’ – should you want your greens expertly cleaned, peeled and prepared for cooking, with advice on potential recipes.

The department store’s move angered traditional butchers, who said it degraded a real skill.

Source

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

Food critic William Sitwell quit as editor of Waitrose Food magazine after making a joke about killing vegans.

This bit makes me laugh!

Harrods has employed its first ‘vegetable butcher’ – should you want your greens expertly cleaned, peeled and prepared for cooking, with advice on potential recipes.

The department store’s move angered traditional butchers, who said it degraded a real skill.

Source
I do not need cable tv channels anymore @alp! I have you!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@DirtMechanic Very naughty - give us some of your discourse with funny words.. Not flattery!

You're a carnivore ... something like this!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
But I thought flattery would get you anywhere, and over the Atlantic is a long way to go!
:D and speechless which is nigh impossible for me! Thank you for the laughs and let serious discourse commence!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is a story that relates to an issue brought up in another thread, the other day.

This lady is the same chronological age as me, only she's so much older. I heard she's now in the market for a walk-in bathtub --- that's NOT what she needs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...E-days-postal-worker-notices-mail-piling.html

• Alison Gibson, 54, was rescued from tub in Chesaning, Michigan on October 19
  • Brave woman speaks out about her ordeal to praise civil servants for their help
  • She spent five days unable to get up after getting stuck in her own bathtub
  • Used water from the tap to stay warm and subsisted drinking bathwater
  • Postal worker noticed her mail piling up and notified neighbors and authorities
  • Police Chief Stacey Wilburn effected bold rescue by climbing through window

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ofentimes, a series of exercises will better help the situation. A walk-in bath will guarantee that she won't be stuck or won't it?? LOL! Yes, perhaps some exercises and losing a bit of weight are better than just buying a walk in bath. But you know she is where she is now because of her weight and size and she might not be so lucky next time if stuck.

When my friend said she would add a stalk of celery, carrots and other greens into her meals, I said to her, "Why not, your children might shun them, but with time, they will come round and they will introduce the diet to their children and their children to their own children and what harm can there be?" Indeed, celery reduces the build-up of uric acid and instead of taking too much turmeric which can reduce liver functions if taken too much, a daily dose of other minerals and vitamins are good for the body!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How far would you go saving for a FLAT in London

'It was worth every penny!': How frugal saver gave up new clothes, gym membership and takeaway coffee... to bank £30,000 for London flat deposit
  • Maria Bagalexis saved for five years to afford a deposit for a flat in north London
  • The 29-year-old ditched expensive cars, phone bills and made packed lunches
  • Miss Bagalexis lived on basic essentials for 12 months and watched every penny

(e-mail address removed)

I hope she has checked the way the ground rent is charged. Some trusting nice people are now trapped in this ground rent and maintenance saga. The ground rent doubles in price in 3 or 4 times and at one point, the new flat owners literally can't sell their flats as they are burdened with an impossible amount of money.

Thousands of young homebuyers remain trapped in virtually brand-new homes made unsaleable by spiralling ground rents and abandoned by developers such as Taylor Wimpey, despite a ban on the charges promised by the government.

Source

To those with acres of land, enjoy your vista and every blade of grass and every glimpse of wildlife; pinch yourself and count your blessings as they are unreal to us here. That is how we buy our houses here in the UK! A teacher told me that there was no way he could clear his £300K mortgage on his new semi-detached new house and he's a lucky one as £300K doesn't buy you much in London!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

This bit makes me laugh!

Source

Stand up to the vegan terrorists, says food writer ROSE PRINCE who has suffered the bile of lifestyle extremists
  • Veganism has become popular with the 'young and impressionable'
  • We are told that veganism can 'save the planet' and that it will protect animals
  • A growing roster of celebrities have turned vegan such as Ricky Gervais

source

The latest victim is food writer William Sitwell, forced out of his job as editor of Waitrose Food magazine because he dared to mock them. According to Waitrose, Sitwell had ‘gone too far’ in a teasing email to a freelance journalist, which spoke about ‘killing vegans’ and exposing their hypocrisy.

According to the writer, William Sitwell is a victim. Let's put it this way, he has gone too far and fallen on his foul mouth. No pity from me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Lets take Veganism one step further. So they want to protect animals they say. OK, THEN. Lets have them change laws NOT TO BUILD in animal habitats. And not to use plastic that takes hundreds of years to break down. I could list more, but got to get on with my day. But you see my drift.

Ask a Question