What's in the news today?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
When owning a dog or cat, it's best to have pet insurance. Our barley had to have scans on his elbows and had keyhole surgery on both of them when he was just 4 months old. It was a good thing that we had pet insurance.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

There are places with crime, noise, and trash. But, there also places without any of these detriments. We lived in one of the former, and now are in a quiet, safe, and litter-free spot. We don't have a home town because we live in the country, but the small town closest to us (population about 6,000) has friendly, helpful folks that we consider "long-distance neighbors."
There are good places to live--let's hear about some of those to counterbalance the negative places.

Well said marlingardner; couldn't agree with you more. (y)

Are there any good places left to live here in the UK? Whilst discussing negative things could we also dump every news channel on TV because they scour the world for bad news and the normal TV channels are seldom worth watching; it would make a refreshing change to hear something nice.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In an instant I wasn't a dad: Millionaire reveals shattering moment a doctor told him he COULDN'T be the father of three adored boys he had raised for 21 years because he had been infertile since birth
  • Businessman Richard Mason, 55, was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis in 2016
  • Doctor at Liverpool’s Broadgreen Hospital said there was no way he was father
  • Mr Mason said when he found out he: ‘Was just thinking, “S***, my life is ruined”
  • He launched a rare paternity fraud case against ex-wife Kate, 54, who had received £4million lump sum in divorce settlement and on-going maintenance

I feel so sorry for the man!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
What's The Difference Between Vegan And Vegetarian?
A vegan is someone who doesn't eat meat, fish and dairy products. It's very difficult to be one if they don't eat dairy products.

A vegetarian is someone who doesn't eat meat or fish, but eats dairy products. They still have to substitute for the meat, but can't remember what it is. My brother is a vegetarian but i can't remember.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In an instant I wasn't a dad: Millionaire reveals shattering moment a doctor told him he COULDN'T be the father of three adored boys he had raised for 21 years because he had been infertile since birth
  • Businessman Richard Mason, 55, was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis in 2016
  • Doctor at Liverpool’s Broadgreen Hospital said there was no way he was father
  • Mr Mason said when he found out he: ‘Was just thinking, “S***, my life is ruined”
  • He launched a rare paternity fraud case against ex-wife Kate, 54, who had received £4million lump sum in divorce settlement and on-going maintenance

I feel so sorry for the man!

What a sad story alp; the children too will now feel their lives to be turned upside down.

Lots of people behave like sheep Logan; one person says I've stopped eating meat then others think what a great idea; others its down to some religion or other that says you can't do this or do that; I find it strange that so many people simply cannot think for themselves having to follow others.

I no longer consume anything at all dairy not because I'm swayed by others just that for the first 57 years of my life dairy products made my life a misery to the point in 1982 I was subjected to major surgery for Crohn's disease; even then the cause of the problem wasn't diagnosed; aged 57 one night Bron read out an article regarding food intolerance; I'd been tested for just about every known substance on the planet but not one of the many doctors or surgeons even mentioned food?

Within two days my life was transformed after switching to Soya; from feeling constantly very ill I was suddenly on top of the world; I believe had my intolerance to dairy been found earlier I could have avoided the major operation.

I have to be extremely careful regarding what I now consume; below is a picture of my leg at the last flare up.

Kind regards, Colin.

Dairy problem._001.JPG

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
My brother stopped eating meat because of how the animals were killed. But i still eat it, takes a lot more time to prepare a vegetarian meal, i couldn't be bothered.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That looks shocking, Colin! I always google and look for possible solutions to my problems. I don't believe everything the laptop says. But having youtube and the internet do help. I also phoned a doctor from the same university and he told me to stop all the milk products and apparently it helped.

Imagine how teens cope sleeping out in the street, full of dangers of drug, rape and attacks and sometimes freezing cold. The world can be so cruel and sometimes I can understand why this cat woman said we mothers are selfish.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Grandmother, 80, is left in 'floods of tears' after she was fined £50 because her dog lead was 'TOO LONG' for the area where she was walking her pet
  • Maureen Sanders was walking her dog around Bootle Cemetery in Merseyside
  • Enforcement officers told her the lead had to be under two metres in the area
  • But signs outside cemetery with by-laws on them do not state maximum length

There are always stupid people ruining others' daily lives! A warning will suffice if indeed she has broken the law!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Grandmother, 80, is left in 'floods of tears' after she was fined £50 because her dog lead was 'TOO LONG' for the area where she was walking her pet
  • Maureen Sanders was walking her dog around Bootle Cemetery in Merseyside
  • Enforcement officers told her the lead had to be under two metres in the area
  • But signs outside cemetery with by-laws on them do not state maximum length

There are always stupid people ruining others' daily lives! A warning will suffice if indeed she has broken the law!

Long gone are the days of a warning here in the UK; much better to hand out a fine alp. (y)

I'm possibly breaking some law or other when I dash into my workshop; I'm surprised the council haven't laid speed humps to our pathway and lots of "Slow" signs.

A bit drizzly this morning and still dark but mild; Blackie is just practising for a year of downpours.

The boiler service guy is due this morning but at £50 for the service it's not too painful and our combi boiler is an "Intergas" so has less few moving parts to go wrong. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
POSITIVE THINKING

The power of positive thinking has been backed up by science. The more meaningful you believe your life to be, the faster you will walk, the stronger your grip will be and the less chronic pain you will suffer, a study says.

Researchers from University College London found that people who saw the things they did as being worthwhile were healthier as they aged. They had a higher concentration of vitamin D in their blood, healthier cholesterol and lower levels of inflammation.

Source needed payment to view, so just copied this bit!

Let's be positive! Banish people who stalk and talk down to you and look on the bright sides of everything!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Long gone are the days of a warning here in the UK; much better to hand out a fine alp. (y)

I'm possibly breaking some law or other when I dash into my workshop; I'm surprised the council haven't laid speed humps to our pathway and lots of "Slow" signs.

A bit drizzly this morning and still dark but mild; Blackie is just practising for a year of downpours.

The boiler service guy is due this morning but at £50 for the service it's not too painful and our combi boiler is an "Intergas" so has less few moving parts to go wrong. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Mine is a Valliant. Wish I had chosen a high calibre one! But for two people it is OK! Takes a bit longer to heat up the water. I wish I had a bit of rain... but it's going to be a sunny day! Whoopee!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

POSITIVE THINKING

The power of positive thinking has been backed up by science. The more meaningful you believe your life to be, the faster you will walk, the stronger your grip will be and the less chronic pain you will suffer, a study says.

Researchers from University College London found that people who saw the things they did as being worthwhile were healthier as they aged. They had a higher concentration of vitamin D in their blood, healthier cholesterol and lower levels of inflammation.

Source needed payment to view, so just copied this bit!

Let's be positive! Banish people who stalk and talk down to you and look on the bright sides of everything!

Well said alp. (y)

I'm positive that life in general stinks and is getting worse unaided by our usual dire climate. Everywhere I look its doom and gloom; the media now search the world for the latest bad news or better still disaster. I'm glad Christmas is finally over because Bron and I feel responsible for all the abused children; abused animals; homeless; kids starving; kids having to walk twenty miles for dirty water etc. etc. Just £3 per month makes a difference unless its the Salvation Army who would like £19? Bron and I have worked very hard indeed to achieve our current lifestyle but are made to feel guilty because we can sit down to a meal; how many governments are spending on weapons but their population are having to rely on foreign aid for food; water and clothes. If Bron and I were on the street how much help would we receive? Sorry for this but yes I'm very positive and we do support charities where we know the money is being used for its intended purpose. :)

35 years ago alp we had central heating installed into our then semi detached stone built house high up the valley side; it was a new Vaillant combi boiler; it sure was cold up there; the boiler couldn't keep up so we also had the gas fire on; all those years ago in winter we were paying around £180 for gas alone for the winter quarter; the boiler was reliable. Moving here we had the antique central heating completely replaced; the Ideal Isar combi boiler worked brilliantly until it's warranty expired and it developed its first fault; from then on the Ideal was far from ideal it was absolute rubbish so bad in fact it was costing us just over £300 per year to have it under contract from British Gas. Three years ago having been tormented enough with the Ideal Isar I did lots of research and we had our current Intergas Combi boiler installed; so far it's been brilliant and yesterday it had its annual service costing only £50; the Intergas approved service engineer was here for almost three hours really going through everything; the three engineers we've had regarding installation and servicing all heap praise on Intergas. It doesn't cost a great deal more to install a top class boiler than a cheap boiler because the labour involved is pretty much the same but long term the extra bit of money paid up front can save lots of money in future?

I've already enjoyed a session in the workshop this morning rubbing paint down on the coach lamps I'm restoring; having now now enjoyed a mug of tea and biscuit time I headed back into the workshop.

I'm positive life would be much better if we reverted to helping each as we did 50 years ago other than what is now taken for granted greedy and selfish? :(

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Got the shock of my life when the format is sooooo different. Very pleased that the font colour here is darker. It helps me tremendously. Before it was grey!

Another thing to be positive about.

Colin - I don't want to change your life, but you are so intelligent and so adept with your hands, why not move south where sunshine smiles on me. Today, it was so nice sitting in the car - the surge of warmth in the car was just so uplifting. Think about it please. You might live to a very long age even though you have retired. Imagine being depressed or not cheerful because it's constantly raining, grey or windy! You really don't have to endure such crushing elements. Now, remember, I don't want to change your life. If you say so, I will be very annoyed!

Ask a Question