What's in the news today?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
That's why some government funded cookery course discouraged the use of salt and introduced the use of herbs.
I don't use salt because hubby has high blood pressure and taking tablets, so can't take salt.
Herbs are nice and very flavoursome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What makes you think people are protesting? Nothing to do with protesting. Far from it. They are just pointing out the hidden danger of some ingredients. It's to do with raising awareness and debates.
No dear, they are trying to get rid of ham and someone is paying them to do it. The beef industry perhaps?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Retired sales director, 64, paid the ultimate price for Britain's diabetes epidemic after a blister on his foot left him without a leg
  • Chris Witt, 64, contracted diabetes in his forties from heavy drinking and eating
  • His weight ballooned to 27st after a knee injury stopped Witt from playing sport
  • Hospitality worker lost his leg 18 months after a discovering a blister on his foot
  • Number of people suffering from diabetes has doubled to 3.7m in past decade

Might be a good idea to MOT your body!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Not in the news today, but it was sometime

That's why I can't keep any pets! Imagine having a dog with such a horrific tumour! I can't even keep myself, let alone a dog/pet with possible vet bills!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
That's why I can't keep any pets! Imagine having a dog with such a horrific tumour! I can't even keep myself, let alone a dog/pet with possible vet bills!
Yes but she could have asked for help, she could have had some of the vet bill paid. Now the poor dog might get another one and the last one was a cancer type. If it was caught sooner his chances would have been a bit better.:)
In this country if someone is on benefits they can get the vet bills paid for them, all they got to do is make a donation to the surgery.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's still someone else's money, is it not?

Still selfish and the money has to come from someone else and could be used for better causes. If I had no money, I wouldn't keep a dog/cat/pet. Simple! Shower your love on your sons, some other humans and make the world a better place, for example, donate to homelessness cause or mental illness cause. Unfortunately for some lovely couples, they can't have children; but we do have people who try to glue a marriage using pets as substitute children. A lot of western countries have to open door to migrants because the population is ageing and families only opt for one or two kids.

The youngest farmer baa none! Two-year-old boy who likes nothing better than helping his parents tend to their animals... and drives his own miniature battery-powered tractor
  • Freddie Bawden, two, loves helping run his family's farm in Durrington, Wiltshire
  • Little boy has two miniature John Deere tractors for carrying hay, straw and feed
  • Father James said: 'He absolutely loves showing people his piglets and sheep’

Love this little boy! He has found his joy at such a young age!

The youngest farmer baa none! Two-year-old boy who likes nothing better than helping his parents tend to their animals... and drives his own miniature battery-powered tractor
    • Freddie Bawden, two, loves helping run his family's farm in Durrington, Wiltshire
    • Little boy has two miniature John Deere tractors for carrying hay, straw and feed
    • Father James said: 'He absolutely loves showing people his piglets and sheep’

• Hope he doesn't need his wife as a meal ticket to keep his dogs in the future! Some form of benefit as well!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thirteen unhappy spouses filed for divorce on Christmas DAY with more than 400 couples requesting split over the festive period - after government allowed applications to be done online in April last year
  • Courts received 455 online divorce applications from December 24 - January 1
  • Last year measures to streamline divorces via the internet were introduced
  • 'Fully digital' divorces are part of a £1billion drive to modernise justice system

This really should not be allowed. Christmas time can be very stressful! I saw an aunt mad with anger when she found a bottle of wine put in the freezer by her husband for quick cooling!:eek:

People can think of divorce for very silly reasons - husband or dogs - after have years of having husbands as meal tickets!

Christmas is always a time fraught with tensions!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Here in Huddersfield we don't worry too much about what's in food to hurt us; we are busy keeping our heads down.

upload_2019-1-5_9-13-12.png

I've just lifted the above from today's front website page of our local paper; what a country we now live in and its getting worse.

Bron and I are animal lovers but we'll never ever own another animal mostly due to vet's bills; we paid £700 on a single injury to one of our cats; later when another cat fell ill the vet was more interested in charging up to £1,000 for scans but ignored our request twice to look at the cat's eyes on the third request it was found our lovely cat was blind and his quality of life was so poor we had him put to sleep; it appeared the vet was more interested in the scans than using common sense first; vet's are in it to make money; we still spend over £20 each week feeding all the local moggies and wildlife and we support a horse sanctuary in Norfolk.

Our home and gardens are a no smoking; no alcohol drinking; no drugs and no guns; anyone violating this will be shot. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
It's still someone else's money, is it not?
It's a difficult one, if a person who's already got a pet and falls on hard times, need that support or the pet would have to be rehomed. Also people on benefits might need a pet to keep their spirits up.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's a difficult one, if a person who's already got a pet and falls on hard times, need that support or the pet would have to be rehomed. Also people on benefits might need a pet to keep their spirits up.:)

If you're depressed, it might be a good idea to look at yourself and it's never a good idea to rely on something external to cheer yourself up. If that pet dies, you will get more depressed. FACT!

I wish I could view your house, Colin! I am sure the workmanship is wonderful and the air clean. I went to 3 houses, one with a big fish tank and a cockatoo or something like that (I'm not a pet person!), the other one with 2 lovely Yorkshire Terriers! (Gorgeous, but the smell was unforgettable!) Another one with dogs, but I don't know what they were as they were out of sight! I nearly fainted.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Colin

Lawlessness is everywhere! Just last night a man randomly murdered in Surrey with his 14 year old son witnessing the whole trauma! So sorry for the boy as it will haunt him for the rest of his life!

That's why I do too. Buy the occasional bird fat balls when I have a bit of spare cash - selling a bit of occasional seeds and plants or unwanted items lying around (like the demijohn for £10!). But I have to make sure I only fill the feeders at the middle of the month and in harsh weather. These birds finish everything in no time. :eek:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp for your kind comments. (y)

Yes not just the bungalow but my workshop too is clean and tidy; I'm very careful what I do in the workshop because the bungalow is built into the steep valley side; it's a true detached bungalow but with the garage now my workshop beneath two of the bedrooms; I use metal lathes but never use coolant "suds" because of the smell also I dislike painting or using finishing materials if the smell is likely to invade the bedrooms. We take a lot of pride in our home and gardens.

Like you alp; Bron and I have visited homes (?) that would make a squat look like a show home; one had a boxer dog slobbering all over the floors and furniture which was bad enough but then this dog had 7 pups to make money for the owners who regarded the dog as a cash machine; the lady of the house used to kiss the dog; how gross is this; the stink was horrible and came away with us on our clothes; we don't visit homes either where the owners smoke; they seldom realize just how offensive smoking is to a non smoker and of course it's their home to do in as they wish but we aren't forced to visit so never return.

I fully agree with you alp in that lawlessness is everywhere in the UK; I can speak personally of what is happening locally and not is Huddersfield only voted worst town to live in the UK looking around I can understand why; Bron and I bought this our dream bungalow in the best area of Huddersfield it costing us a lot of money 31 years ago; so far apart from one low life family our street remains an oasis.

I've rambled on enough; I'm heading into the workshop.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
There are places with crime, noise, and trash. But, there also places without any of these detriments. We lived in one of the former, and now are in a quiet, safe, and litter-free spot. We don't have a home town because we live in the country, but the small town closest to us (population about 6,000) has friendly, helpful folks that we consider "long-distance neighbors."
There are good places to live--let's hear about some of those to counterbalance the negative places.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
one had a boxer dog slobbering all over the floors and furniture which was bad enough but then this dog had 7 pups to make money for the owners who regarded the dog as a cash machine; the lady of the house used to kiss the dog; how gross is this;

Haha! This reminds me of the Clear Score advert in which a big dog was slobbering a long train of saliva to the floor. It's so gross. Viewing houses to buy has become a bit of an ordeal! And I am not joking!

@marlingardener You're so lucky! I'd would to find somewhere like that to see out my last years! Here in the UK, stabbing is now a daily feature! Wish I had money to move next to you. I can't complain, as instructed by my estate agent, Dean!

Ask a Question