What's in the news today?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Supermarket Morrisons will switch off all sounds including Christmas music on Saturday as part of a 'quiet morning' to give shoppers a calmer experience
  • The supermarket giant is to make the change at every single one of its 494 stores
  • Music will be switched off between the hours of 9am and 12pm on Saturday
  • Beeping sounds at main checkouts and self-service tills will also be turned down|

This is a difficult one to call. One morning, we went shopping in Tesco. Right at the entrance, there was a group of kids screaming their lungs out. It was so noisy that I covered my ears. But then when I finished shopping, I thought that these kids (most of them autistic) must have been having a good time. Ok, they might be swearing - I could hear that, but these kids enjoyed themselves, so I really shouldn't have covered my ears.
It's Christmas! Everything goes! :D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Revealed – the damage a drone could cause: Shocking test footage shows a small craft bursting a grapefruit-sized hole into an airliner’s wing threatening its FUEL TANKS
  • The University of Dayton Research Institute's Impact Physics lab simulated an impact with a drone and a wing
  • The drone punctured a grapefruit-sized hole in the wing's leading edge before vanishing inside the structure
  • Much of the drone shattered on impact, but its batteries and motors forced their way through the wing
  • Many passenger aircraft use their wings to carry fuel which could ignite if ruptured by a drone collision

High time drone flying be banned as it could be weaponised by terrorists.

7676214-6517603-image-a-2_1545336095308.jpg
7678750-6517603-A_Boeing_737_800_pictured_suffered_damage_to_its_nose_on_approac-a-17_1545341274802.jpg

A Boeing 737-800, pictured, suffered damage to its nose on approach to Tijuana airport in December 2018 from a drone

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Family who replaced carpets in £2.6m Kensington flat with wooden floors causing 'constant' noise for downstairs neighbour as children ran around must pay her £100,000 after losing appeal
  • Sarah and Ahmed El Kerrami were sued by banker neighbour Sarvenaz Fouladi
  • Complainant said dish washing and children playing made 'intolerable' noise
  • Couple appealed after being told to fork out more than £100,000 in damages
  • But a High Court judge has now upheld the original decision and they must pay

If I had 2.6m, I would rather live a bit out, in Richmond, Wimbledon or even Holland Park! What is the point of living in a flat and your children exuberance being stifled. Imagine your upstair neighbour's washing machine jumping up and down on your parquet floor! Only unthinking idiots would do that.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...t-noise-downstairs-neighbour-pay-100-000.html

Restaurant chains Zizzi and ASK are switching from Italian to WELSH mozzarella amid fears a no deal Brexit will wreak border chaos
  • Restaurant chains fear a no deal Brexit could disrupt the imports of mozzarella
  • Said switching will also be environmental friendly and cut down on food miles
  • Comes amid fears no deal Brexit will cause food delays and shortages at borders

Good idea - won't be held to ransom

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Laughing policeman carries a bungling drug dealer, 18, in just his underwear after the teenager tried to leap out of a window and then complained about sore feet from running away
  • Rhys Williams given helping hand by officer who hauled him over his shoulder
  • The 18-year-old complained of sore feet when he tried to outrun police in Wales
  • The teenager was part of drugs operation which attracted 'queues like Tesco'
  • Members of the group flooded Wrexham, north Wales, with heroin and cocaine

7711200-6520515-image-m-6_1545411713617.jpg
Rhys Williams, 18, complained of sore feet when he tried to outrun police so was given a helping hand by a burly officer who hauled him over his shoulder

I think Mr Williams will be the laughing stock of his hometown for a long time. Just so funny!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Restaurant chains Zizzi and ASK are switching from Italian to WELSH mozzarella amid fears a no deal Brexit will wreak border chaos
  • Restaurant chains fear a no deal Brexit could disrupt the imports of mozzarella
  • Said switching will also be environmental friendly and cut down on food miles
  • Comes amid fears no deal Brexit will cause food delays and shortages at borders
That's going to happen a lot.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
NHS ‘chief nanny’ top doctor warns heavy drinkers not to overdo it on the sherry this Christmas because they are putting too much strain on health service
  • Chief Medical Officer Dame Sally Davies called for new taxes to improve health
  • She accused heavy drinkers of 'misusing' their health during over Christmas
  • Prof Davies said 50 per cent of all illness is caused by 'preventable risks'
  • The NHS will spend £300,000 to sponsor drunk tanks over the festive period

Why don't they just fine them? One they have been hit, they will think again if they need emergency services!

The mentality is that if they are not drunk, they are not having a good time! Saw the series Care in which a woman has lost her job because her mum had a stroke and dementia and she was drinking a whole glass of wine! How about coffee and tea!?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
New Jersey high school wrestler has his dreadlocks forcibly CUT OFF before a match on the orders of a white 'racist' referee who was previously body slammed for hurling the N-word in an argument over homemade wine
  • Andrew Johnson was subjected to the impromptu hair cut right before his match competing for Buena Regional High School in Buena, New Jersey
  • In the footage, a white woman can be seen chopping off Johnson's hair and leaving it in shabby way
  • The video later cuts to Johnson dominating his opponent and pinning him to the ground to win the match
  • Many on social media noted that Johnson is black and the fact that he had to cut off his hair showcased obvious racist practices
  • Under the NFHS, natural hair that is non-abrasive is allowed but 'must be contained in a legal hair cover'
  • Author George M Johnson asserted: 'This is racist. There is nothing good about this story. It's anti-Black AF to tell someone they must forfeit bc of their hair'
  • On March 25, 2016, referee Alan Maloney attended a work gathering for officials where he called a fellow African American referee a 'n****r'
  • The two had appeared to have gotten in an argument over homemade wine when the comment was made

Food for thought

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Miracle among the rubble: Rescuers pull tiny boy to safety after 12 hours trapped in buried car as hunt continues for his parents after Indonesian tsunami kills at least 222
  • More than 220 have been killed and 800 injured in a tsunami in Indonesia
  • Boy aged five was found in a car, trapped under debris, including heavy trees
  • Indonesian police officers found the crying boy and pulled him from the vehicle
  • The child named Ali cried as he was rescued and held by an officer in Indonesia

Terrifying! RIP!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
A much needed boost to local economy!
No it won't because all the businesses will go somewhere else in Europe. Some have said already that they will go, like the car industry, because they won't be able to get the parts that they want to build them.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No it won't because all the businesses will go somewhere else in Europe. Some have said already that they will go, like the car industry, because they won't be able to get the parts that they want to build them.

In this instance, it WILL be a boost to Welsh cheese makers.

If you were the car manufacturer, you would kick up a fuss so that the British government would throw you a life-line! Just as Nissan have done! Any crafty companies will use that trick. So you reckon the Brits won't buy any more foreign cars after Brexit because they can't get parts. It's all to do with brinkmanship! If I were treated in a perverse way, I would leave and engage the other side of my brain to make things work.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The shockingly restricted vegan diet one couple fed their infant daughter is revealed - as they plead guilty to causing her serious injury after she developed RICKETS
  • The extreme diet a vegan couple fed their daughter is revealed for the first time
  • The parents, 32 and 34, pleaded guilty to causing their infant serious injury
  • They claimed their daughter, who didn't grow for 19 months, was a 'fussy eater'
  • Hospital staff were stunned when the one-year-old couldn't crawl or speak
  • The daughter and her two siblings have since been taken into foster care

source

Just how can you tell people whose philosophy can lead them to such an unfortunate consequence? t's like people refusing blood transfusion because of their religion.

My friend refused blood transfusion soon after child birth. She was scared that the blood could be contaminated. In this instance, I agree with her. She went home and have tons of soups - chicken soups and some others.
Clueless! Calls for inquiry into police probe on Gatwick drone chaos as ‘scapegoat’ couple arrested are released without charge and officers admit there may not have been a drone at all

Amazing how the incompetents are leading or policing this country!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A surge in the number of vegans is storing up health problems for the wealthy West

Source

A very good article.

Ask a Question