alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You should have read the story

Bars will not be fitted on windows at new jails after a report described them as ‘punitive’ and ‘institutional’.
A government-funded study suggested the architecture of prisons should be reformed to help boost the rehabilitation of offenders by ‘normalising their environment’.

Her Majesty’s Prison Service said bars would be replaced by reinforced glass following the report by Yvonne Jewkes, professor of criminology at Bath University.

This professor sits in the library and probably has never set foot in a prison. Last night whilst channel surfing, saw 2 bits on how violent the criminals were and some behaved like animals. The woman professor probably has a toughened glass company and hence the suggestions. No wonder this country is being ruined and everything goes south! The inepts from Oxbridge at the helm and library-bred professor leading reforms.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Got the shock of my life when the format is sooooo different. Very pleased that the font colour here is darker. It helps me tremendously. Before it was grey!

Another thing to be positive about.

Colin - I don't want to change your life, but you are so intelligent and so adept with your hands, why not move south where sunshine smiles on me. Today, it was so nice sitting in the car - the surge of warmth in the car was just so uplifting. Think about it please. You might live to a very long age even though you have retired. Imagine being depressed or not cheerful because it's constantly raining, grey or windy! You really don't have to endure such crushing elements. Now, remember, I don't want to change your life. If you say so, I will be very annoyed!

Many thanks alp for your excellent advice and no you won't be annoyed because I appreciate what you say. :) Bron and I have often discussed moving even more so over the last few months because our best neighbours recently moved down to Nottingham leaving a big hole in our lives. We too like the look of Nottinghamshire but we've put 31 years of our lives into creating our perfect home and we do love our bungalow a great deal; the surrounding area is wonderful close to open countryside and with magnificent views right across the valley; on a warm sunny calm day there's no better place on earth to us in fact 2018 treated us to a delightful long warm summer which was very rare indeed and we hope the summer this year is the same. The climate here is usually dire but we can't do anything to change this so I just have a good moan each day to cheer myself up then get busy rather than sitting around being bored doing nothing; its white with frost and still quite dark but I'll have a brew then head down to the workshop; with the fan heater on the workshop warms up nicely in about an hour so at least I can escape the weather.

Our main problems living here alp are the locals as seen in the many shootings and knifings but fortunately these tend to be the other side of Huddersfield; our neighbours though often upset our day; our immediate neighbour a retired lady living on her own is very demanding and pulls our strings; she's a lovely lady but she's an hypochondriac and has been since she was a child; she's now lived here about six years and is forever at the surgery or in hospital; about four years ago she visited a big hospital in Leeds a number of times going private and spending a lot of money having consultations and scans then falling out with a consultant because she was demanding an operation on her back; at home she can really put on an act looking at death's door one day but the day after playing golf or bell ringing etc. Christmas for us was totally spoiled by her; I was foolish in telling her that Bron and I want just two days a year to be on our own enjoying each others company in peace the days being Christmas & Boxing Day. Christmas day was perfect but when we got up on Boxing day there was a fast response ambulance car parked outside her house making us very concerned about her; I went round but no one answered the door and having her son's phone number I phoned him but no reply; a few minutes later I answered our phone and it was the son returning my call; I explained what was happening and he replied his mother had already phoned him; by the way he was talking I got the impression I'd just got him out of bed and he didn't seem in the least concerned just saying he'll come over?

Shortly after the big ambulance arrived and with this lady now walking wounded Bron and I had a quick word saying we'll look after her cat and bungalow; then her son and daughter in law arrived just before the ambulance pulled away; we were thanked for our help and were promised by the son to be kept informed; we worried all day but no phone all so around 5 o'clock I made a couple of phone calls to find out which hospital this lady was in; having been passed around on the phone I finally got the ward; the nurse said would you like to speak to this lady? She told me lots of tests had been carried out but nothing untowards was found and she was about to be discharged; this totally ruined our Christmas together; any normal emergency then no way would Bron or I begrudge helping but this was yet another way for this lady to get attention no doubt because the surgery was closed?

The story doesn't end there; a couple of days later this lady told Bron that the only thing found was a minor problem with her arteries but this at 72 years of age in anyone is expected? What really drove it home to us is that this lady had told all her friends and even her son that she wanted to be alone over Christmas? Now she's due to visit the surgery again to find the results of her hospital visit; no doubt she's expecting different results from her local GP? A few months ago this lady phoned for help saying she was too ill to drive up to the surgery and could I please assist with transport and of course I could so I took her for her appointment and I waited in the car; when she arrived back at the car she told me she had disagreed with her GP who had told her she had high blood pressure and he wanted to prescribe medication which she flatly refused expecting sympathy from me? I told her not to worry because the way I saw it was either take the prescribed medication or simply drop dead then we returned home. Later in the day I was told she had emailed the surgery for the blood pressure medication? I might sound harsh and uncaring but this lady has a lifetime's obsession with imaginary illness which in itself is an illness and do we leave her alone then if something really does happen to her feel guilty for the rest of our lives in the meantime this is just one of the everyday problems Bron and I are facing; this afternoon I'm taking our neighbour from across the street down to the surgery he having suffered two strokes his son is accompanying him; again no problem other than this neighbour is a most unpleasant person but we never reject a request for help and never will.

So alp do we move or do we stay? In spite of the many problems we dream of the day when we break through all the doom and gloom into the life we want to enjoy; I'm sorry if I come across on the forums as nothing but doom and gloom being mostly negative but all Bron and I want is a bit of peace and quiet to enjoy our retirement; we'll keep battling on in the hope of better things yet to come.

Speaking of better Bron's just placed a mug of tea and a few bickies on the corner of the desk so life isn't too bad after all; I still have a top reason to get out of bed every day; she's called Bronwyn.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Fatberg is a serious problem in this country, so much so that we are being educated not to pour fat into toilet pans. Little boxes have been sent out for us to box the fat and send it in household waste. Talking about household waste, I had a record 5 bags of woodchip wallpaper bits yesterday. Ah, the dreaded woodchip wallpaper!!:devil:
That's crazy! We have a problem with people pouring the stuff down their sinks, but I never heard of any one pouring it down the toilet.

Either way, I don't do it, rather I take it out to one of my heavily mulched areas and spread it out for all the soil organisms to munch on. You'd think I'd have areas of my yard with greasy leaves, but you just can tell where it is...it degrades nicely. However, it's important to have it warm (or hot in the winter time) and spread it liberally with a hose (under pressure) -- I set the nozzel to "Fan" spray.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi,

Many thanks alp for your excellent advice and no you won't be annoyed because I appreciate what you say. :) Bron and I have often discussed moving even more so over the last few months because our best neighbours recently moved down to Nottingham leaving a big hole in our lives. We too like the look of Nottinghamshire but we've put 31 years of our lives into creating our perfect home and we do love our bungalow a great deal; the surrounding area is wonderful close to open countryside and with magnificent views right across the valley; on a warm sunny calm day there's no better place on earth to us in fact 2018 treated us to a delightful long warm summer which was very rare indeed and we hope the summer this year is the same. The climate here is usually dire but we can't do anything to change this so I just have a good moan each day to cheer myself up then get busy rather than sitting around being bored doing nothing; its white with frost and still quite dark but I'll have a brew then head down to the workshop; with the fan heater on the workshop warms up nicely in about an hour so at least I can escape the weather.

Our main problems living here alp are the locals as seen in the many shootings and knifings but fortunately these tend to be the other side of Huddersfield; our neighbours though often upset our day; our immediate neighbour a retired lady living on her own is very demanding and pulls our strings; she's a lovely lady but she's an hypochondriac and has been since she was a child; she's now lived here about six years and is forever at the surgery or in hospital; about four years ago she visited a big hospital in Leeds a number of times going private and spending a lot of money having consultations and scans then falling out with a consultant because she was demanding an operation on her back; at home she can really put on an act looking at death's door one day but the day after playing golf or bell ringing etc. Christmas for us was totally spoiled by her; I was foolish in telling her that Bron and I want just two days a year to be on our own enjoying each others company in peace the days being Christmas & Boxing Day. Christmas day was perfect but when we got up on Boxing day there was a fast response ambulance car parked outside her house making us very concerned about her; I went round but no one answered the door and having her son's phone number I phoned him but no reply; a few minutes later I answered our phone and it was the son returning my call; I explained what was happening and he replied his mother had already phoned him; by the way he was talking I got the impression I'd just got him out of bed and he didn't seem in the least concerned just saying he'll come over?

Shortly after the big ambulance arrived and with this lady now walking wounded Bron and I had a quick word saying we'll look after her cat and bungalow; then her son and daughter in law arrived just before the ambulance pulled away; we were thanked for our help and were promised by the son to be kept informed; we worried all day but no phone all so around 5 o'clock I made a couple of phone calls to find out which hospital this lady was in; having been passed around on the phone I finally got the ward; the nurse said would you like to speak to this lady? She told me lots of tests had been carried out but nothing untowards was found and she was about to be discharged; this totally ruined our Christmas together; any normal emergency then no way would Bron or I begrudge helping but this was yet another way for this lady to get attention no doubt because the surgery was closed?

The story doesn't end there; a couple of days later this lady told Bron that the only thing found was a minor problem with her arteries but this at 72 years of age in anyone is expected? What really drove it home to us is that this lady had told all her friends and even her son that she wanted to be alone over Christmas? Now she's due to visit the surgery again to find the results of her hospital visit; no doubt she's expecting different results from her local GP? A few months ago this lady phoned for help saying she was too ill to drive up to the surgery and could I please assist with transport and of course I could so I took her for her appointment and I waited in the car; when she arrived back at the car she told me she had disagreed with her GP who had told her she had high blood pressure and he wanted to prescribe medication which she flatly refused expecting sympathy from me? I told her not to worry because the way I saw it was either take the prescribed medication or simply drop dead then we returned home. Later in the day I was told she had emailed the surgery for the blood pressure medication? I might sound harsh and uncaring but this lady has a lifetime's obsession with imaginary illness which in itself is an illness and do we leave her alone then if something really does happen to her feel guilty for the rest of our lives in the meantime this is just one of the everyday problems Bron and I are facing; this afternoon I'm taking our neighbour from across the street down to the surgery he having suffered two strokes his son is accompanying him; again no problem other than this neighbour is a most unpleasant person but we never reject a request for help and never will.

So alp do we move or do we stay? In spite of the many problems we dream of the day when we break through all the doom and gloom into the life we want to enjoy; I'm sorry if I come across on the forums as nothing but doom and gloom being mostly negative but all Bron and I want is a bit of peace and quiet to enjoy our retirement; we'll keep battling on in the hope of better things yet to come.

Speaking of better Bron's just placed a mug of tea and a few bickies on the corner of the desk so life isn't too bad after all; I still have a top reason to get out of bed every day; she's called Bronwyn.

Kind regards, Colin.
@Colin, I often get my best advice from a dog. I cannot fathom sending you a puppy, but perhaps I can share the next best thing?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I hope you're not going to waste any petrol on this woman. I found I did the same with an old woman - I wrote numerous letters complaining to all and sundries and she even asked me to go through her bank account, saying that money had already been taken out and that they wanted to take duplicates of money out of her account. I was LONELY and out came this woman who thought she was the cleverest but was duped by a NIEIC electrician, double-glazed salesmen (yes x 2) and what not. Any way, I wouldn't do that again. Loneliness and the faintest hint of friendship unburdened you and you think you're helping a worthy friend.

Be very careful of investing your love in one person. It can be very cruel when anything untoward happens. My elderly neighbour was never the same since his wife died and that was years ago. My father-in-law said the same thing when his wife passed away! Sometimes, selfishness has its benefit!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks DirtMechanic; good advice and it makes a great deal more sense than talking to most people; I like The Clangers and The Teletubbies. :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b6ttlc/teletubbies-series-2-50-rain

Trust me to hit on an episode called "rain".

I've often said I have bad luck and many times also said traffic lights don't like me; traffic lights generally let about a mile queue of vehicles through on green but to the split second stop us so we are front of the next queue and at the link below shows traffic lights taking the Mickey as usual; please see at around 00:56 the lights are green as soon as I see them but watch how they go red to stop me then immediately go green again; I truly despair with this kind of luck. Sorry about video quality; the video is fine on my computer?

I'm not depressed I just become fed up but I battle on; retirement should be a time in life to relax; I've been retired 18 years and still looking for the relaxing bit. :D

Thanks alp; I had just posted this when I saw your latest message. I understand what you mean about investing full love on one person but it's the way I am; who knows who will die first in a relationship; I'm now 71 and enjoyed Bron's company for the last 43 years knowing true happiness with one person in the world who truly loves me as I am and isn't after money; it's not hard for me to love Bron so much and hopefully we'll have more happy years together; if Bron passes away before me I'm going to get severely hurt as of course would be the other way round; it's possible being too selfish also is the cause of so many failed relationships; our neighbours daughter directly across the street had a huge wedding with the Rolls Royce etc; this wedding lasted two years.

On a happy note I'm now heading into the workshop before another day slips by.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Scientists warn Earth's magnetic North Pole has begun moving 'erratically' at speeds so fast they are having to issue an emergency update to maps used by electronic navigation systems
  • Magnetic North Pole is 'skittering' away from Canada, towards Siberia
  • Researchers say it is moving at an 'unusually high speed of about 50 km per year'
  • Say Canada is essentially losing a magnetic tug-of-war with Siberia
  • Researchers around the world are scrambling to update global models relied on by GPS navigation systems

source

Millions are at risk of an early death because they do not eat enough fibre, warns major study
    • Getting plenty of fibre cuts the risk of an early death by a third
    • Also reduces the risk of a heart attack, stroke or bowel cancer by a quarter
    • But most adults in Britain - 91% - eat less than the daily recommended amount
  • Source
Good to eat your green and feel the buzz! I always have 5 a day and I wash them all - sometimes I feel that I haven't washed them properly as some salad leaves are washed in "doctored" water! And some pickers use the field as loo!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
dy
  • Getting plenty of fibre cuts the risk of an early death by a third
  • Also reduces the risk of a heart attack, stroke or bowel cancer by a quarter
  • But most adults in Britain - 91% - eat less than the daily recommended amount
I've known that since the early 80s. I bought a book about dieting called the Fplan diet. But it wasn't just about losing weight it was to educate the person who bought it that it was important to change their diet for life. By eating more fibre. In it, it warned about diabetes, bowel cancer and heart disease. It gave lists of foods with the amount of fibre in and the calories. Also recipes for alsorts of life styles. It changed a lot what i ate and still do.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Possible new inquest for girl whose death was linked to pollution

High time this issue be dealt with properly. Now that it's winter, people round the hood start using burners and the air has been fouled and of course, there are numerous other reasons!

Source

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Doctors tell luvvies: Go and eat an egg sandwich instead of having 'trendy' £30 Vitamin B12 jab
  • Madonna, Rita Ora, Lily Allen and Dani Dyer are fans of the £30 vitamin injection
  • Jab promises to boost energy levels, help with weight loss and fight depression
  • B12 helps with functioning of the nervous system and creation of red blood cells

Luvvies probably think that the jab has instant effect! I have given up buying any fish oil capsules now!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Leading Anglicans urge the Archbishop of Canterbury to force his new ambassador to the Vatican to resign after the Australian cleric questioned whether Jesus rose from the dead
  • Dr John Shepherd said Christians should be 'set free' from view of resurrection
  • Senior Anglicans have branded his views as 'bizarre' and inappropriate'
  • They said believing in resurrection of Jesus was a fundamental Christian belief

Not a religious person, but have to smile reading this?

Was Jesus a person? If he were a person, don't think he COULD RESURRECT?!

Hope I have not offended people across the pond! I'm too stupid to work this one out ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This article says that many coffee plants are in danger of extinction, if not extinct already. We have a native coffee plant here in Florida, which I'm still looking for to add to my little habitat area; evidently the birds love the beans.

Excerpt:

More than half of the world’s 124 wild coffee plant species meet the criteria for inclusion on the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s Red List of Threatened Species, according to reports published today (January 16) in Science Advances and Global Change Biology. The authors say extinctions among the species would limit plant breeders’ options in developing new types of coffee in the future.

The study, carried out at Britain’s Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, found that 60 percent of wild coffee species are at risk, a figure that “is extremely high, especially when you compare this to a global estimate of 22% for plants,” says coauthor Eimear Nic Lughadha in a statement. “Some of the coffee species assessed have not been seen in the wild for more than 100 years, and it is possible that some may already be extinct.”...

Ask a Question