What's in the news today?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Roads melt and animals drop dead as Australia suffers through its 'most significant' heatwave for 80 YEARS and temperatures top 120F
  • Australia is baking amid record-breaking heatwave with temperatures soaring as high as 120F in some towns
  • Town of Noona, in New South Wales, saw an overnight minimum temperature of 96.6F - an Australian record
  • Central Sydney saw fifth consecutive day above 86F for first time in eight years, while Canberra also baked
  • Roads melted and animals dropped dead as fire crews fought more than 60 blazes across New South Wales
source

We have been hibernating whilst the Australians have been melting

I know which one I prefer!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Get ready to watch the rare moment a total lunar eclipse crosses over with a supermoon on MONDAY (because it isn’t happening for another TEN YEARS)
  • On Jan 20-21, the full moon will be a supermoon, and there will be a lunar eclipse
  • The supermoon means it sits in the closest point to Earth in its monthly orbit
  • The event, when Earth's shadow totally shrouds the moon, will last over an hour

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How Trump's government shutdown could cause navigation CHAOS: Updates to a system that monitors Earth's North Pole which is moving towards Siberia at 34 miles a year have been stopped in their tracks
  • Scientists have been unable to post updates to a system tracking the changes
  • The rate of distance that the magnetic north pole moves per year has sped up
  • Researchers are scrambling to update global models relied on by GPS systems
  • Experts are still working off a 2015 model that grows more inaccurate every day
Just what kind of people have we got at the helms of various governments!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
'I'm scared... the skin normally tears after three strokes': Ex-Westminster public schoolboy caught dealing drugs in Singapore opens up in his first interview since learning he'll be strapped naked to a frame and caned 24 times
  • Ye Ming Yuen, 29, was born and raised in London where both his parents still live
  • He'll serve 20 years in jail in Singapore after being convicted of supplying drugs
  • Ex-public schoolboy's buttocks will be flogged 24 times with a 4ft rattan cane

On a human level, though, few outside the former Crown colony, in South East Asia, would wish to inflict such retribution on him, on anyone, whatever the circumstances. The perverse twist is that it was the colonial British who introduced caning to Singapore in the first place.

Source

I remember when we couldn't write a word correctly, we got caned. A tiny cane on the palm. The humiliation was enough - seen queuing up outside the teacher's office waiting for our turn to be caned. I didn't really mind as it didn't hurt much. But on reflection, it was not a good idea. Some people are born dyslexic and they have other talents to offer.

Having said that, this greedy entitled piece of shame had the audacity to deal drugs in Singapore, of all places, and as Ian Duncan Smith said, at least, nobody died.

Here in the UK, lawlessness reigns and I felt so sad that a newly recruited lecturer had been stabbed to death just because he walked through a park ( a nice area - fresher air) and got stabbed and killed by a mad knife carrying retard!

All these drug dealing people want to have Beckhams' life style without the looks or work and are making our life hell.

This reminds me of the loitering nuisance created by teenagers outside shops and they sometimes intimidate shoppers or are engaged in petty thiefing. Shops used a low-level noise irritant in an attempt to remove them. The liberals and educated complained, saying that these irritants posed a danger to babies and other innocent teens who went about their business. This is quite true, but I would say, parents should know better and teach their children consideration for others. So when I complained about golf ball showered in my garden, my neighbour threatened me with, "So you want to stop my children playing?" No, of course not. But how would he feel if I chucked golf balls with frightening velocity into his glasshouse or windows (he had one, too broken and removed). It's these adults who perpetuate the lawlessness in our society and they are a danger to their children by clouding their judgement of what is right or wrong or inconsiderate.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In the same breath, we have this little menace growing up in our midst to improve our future prospect

Apparently, they are from Liverpool!

On top of these people, we have gypsies. Wherever the travelling communities go, they leave earthquake like rubbish. And they engage their mouths and fists in solving problems.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Duke of Edinburgh crash: What are the rules for older drivers?

I don't think his age can prevent the sun getting into his eyes. This happens to me all the time. One literally cant't see as the sun is glaring right into your eyes. Isn't he lucky to have another one probably free whilst the average joe blogs pay for his.? The car dealership gets a royal warrant ...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The hidden secrets of insect poop

Poop is healthy and nutritious ...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
More than 175,000 retail jobs will be cut this year, with 23,395 shops due to shut as internet sales batter the crisis-hit UK High Street
  • A slump in the value of retail property is expected to see 23,395 shops shut
  • Around 20,000 stores closed last year and 150,000 jobs were lost in retail
  • It comes as notorious Sports Direct boss Mike Ashley mulls a takeover of HMV
Never materialistic, but have to admit that shopping does have its fun and buzz. The pull would be bigger were plants! LOL! But how unhealthy this is! Facing 4 walls and never get to feel the fabrics, shape or workmanship of the garments. Sad that so many jobs are going! Soon, the only job available will be strawberry picking ...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hyperactive Thames eels found to have ingested cocaine from the polluted capital's water supply

A study from the EU's drug monitoring agency suggests that England and Wales has the highest number of young cocaine users in Europe.

It showed that around 600,000 16 to 34-year-olds have taken cocaine over the past twelve months - around four per cent of the age group.

According to another study, it's estimated that 4.4 lbs, roughly 80,000 lines of coke ends up in the River Thames each day via the sewage system.

Food for thoughts or dodgy sea-food!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Antarctic krill is moving southwards: Climate change is melting sea ice and forcing key food source for whales, dolphins and seabirds 270 miles south
  • Already declining population are becoming more scarce in the Southern Ocean
  • Shrimp-like creatures are primary food source for whales, seabirds andpenguins
  • They are contracting poleward over the past 90 years to an under-ice habitat

source

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Emmanuel Macron calls for creation of a ‘true European army’ to defend against Russia and the US

French president makes new appeal for force in run-up to First World War Armistice centenary

source

Je t'aime and tu m'aimes!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've now got a broken society here in the UK alp.

Duke of Edinburgh crash: What are the rules for older drivers?

I don't think his age can prevent the sun getting into his eyes. This happens to me all the time. One literally cant't see as the sun is glaring right into your eyes. Isn't he lucky to have another one probably free whilst the average joe blogs pay for his.? The car dealership gets a royal warrant ...

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've now got a broken society here in the UK alp.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 48868

I don't think it's entirely her fault. Which EU member wants to see us leave!? WE help give them carrots. According to David Davis (former FA chair) 27 to 1 in the EU. There is no chance of us winning. Germany, with French help, is moving closer and closer to be the captain of a federal Europe. For heavens' sake, we don't even speak the same language, tradition, culture or value.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We are working on it here Colin, just look at how many people can not see how totally stupid this woman is on top of that 74% of dems would vote for her to be president just think about that crash and burn,.............and killing kid for wearing a Trump hat, when they were the ones that got attacked by black hebrew men and indian who should have stayed out of the mess.

Ocasio-Cortez: ‘We’re Like the World Is Going to End in 12 Years

poll finds that 74% of Democrats (and people who lean Dem) would consider voting for Ocasio-Cortez if she were old enough to run for president

Tucker Carlson Calls Out Famous Liberals Who Urged Doxing, Assault, & Murder Of Covington MAGA Kids

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just to get back on track a bit. It's bitterly cold here with deep frost this morning. I'll enjoy a session in the workshop this morning but at dinnertime we're taking our neighbour for her hospital consultation; she was going by taxi feeling too unwell to drive even though she has a new car; a missed session in the workshop is normal but this is in a good cause. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question