What's in the news today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Have you got the end bit,@roadrunner ?

Apparently, eating bugs is more sustainable.

By the way, the weather has turned cold and my right knee is screaming and I thought about your squatting. I couldn't do that, so I went on the exercise bike and worked my legs for half an hour and I did that again yesterday. Now I can walk with ease. Of course, I eat my daily helping of celery. I so used to hate it. Now, I must have it every day! Just a piece between son and me. So good.
Yeah, I get the part about eating bugs, it's just that the headline reminded me of a thought I've had for years on the un-sustainability of the lifestyles of those that homestead or live in those ecovillages.

You definitely don't want to squat if it hurts, definitely need a good warm-up. Also, when I started squatting with the goal of doing deep squats (all the way down), in the beginning it was too painful to go all the way down, so I started with no weight and went down only as far as the pain would allow, most of which was from lack of flexibility, but also from stressing the muscles and connective tissues in a way they were not use to. Eventually I got to the point where I could squat without pain, then slowly started adding weight.

Now I can squat like an Asian -- not my words, here's the Article. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/03/can-you-do-the-asian-squat/555716/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I love butter - the texture and the flavour. I won't touch margarine; but even that
Only in my house is Butter and olive oil. Margarine is 2 molecules from plastic. but I do have a jar of goose fat for frying potatoes and to put in with olive oil with pork chops, gives it a nice back flavor.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Only in my house is Butter and olive oil. Margarine is 2 molecules from plastic. but I do have a jar of goose fat for frying potatoes and to put in with olive oil with pork chops, gives it a nice back flavor.

Goose fat is good fat!:D

I don't butter my bread. I prefer to eat it as is. Butter is for my ex when he visit or to grease under the skin of spatchcock with garlic and rosemary.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@roadrunner We were squatting all the time until the western style of toilet pans took over. What abhorred me most was when I was in China, they had a surface area and a line of toilet cubicles and from time to time a run of water would send the stuff along a "conveyer belt like movement" and I could see all sorts of excrement .. It affected me for days. I never want to use public toilets, but most toilets in this country are very clean and well kept. But still, the stench sometimes can be very disturbing and morbidly unforgettable:eek:. The size of a big loaf in a posh marina back home has left me traumatised!:eek::LOL: I can still visualise it to this date!

Squatting is of course how our ancestors pooped for millennia. Yet this ability that comes so naturally to cavemen and to babies has been lost to many Western toilet sitters—and it’s not so easy to get it back.

In fact, the motion works better squatting, but such is the accepted norm. In this country, we have some travellers STANDING on the toilet pans.. Graphics advising people not to STAND on the pans can be seen and of course the funniest one encourages men to aim STRAIGHT, which is probably easier said than done!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Nature officials grant licences to shoot some of Britain’s most endangered birds

BBR6q56.img

Such a lovely bird and I have never seen it in real life and they want to cull it.
source

Dazzled by the tsar's city of gold... How to spend 48 hours in St Petersburg

BBR6t3H.img

I think I need at least 4 days! What a beautiful place!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Palm oil is destroying rainforests. But try going a day without it.

source

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Christmas comes early for this turkey

Jose Mourinho sacked: Manchester United announce manager has left club with immediate effect

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't open the link, so I checked out the title and found this on how ubiquitous palm oil really is; furthermore, the list of ingredients don't always mention "Palm Oil", rather various chemical compounds.

I also learned that Trader Joe's is NOT party to the RSPO. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...m-oil-destroying-rainforests-household-items/

Thank you for the link. Palm oil is in everything but in different guises. That's why the influential lobby has succeeded in banning the Christmas advert which tried to raise our awareness of the extraction and farming of palm oi; I guess there are ethical ways, but that would add to the cost. A lot of world's problems are caused by the pursuit of cheap products. Most of the gadgets flogged by QVC or JML have in-built obsolescence and they all end up in a tip something. As the government is trying to make us aware. There is no such thing as throwing something AWAY! It has to assume a form and space and could foul the environment.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Amazon customer's fury after he orders £1,300 drone only to receive a LIGHTBULB amid fears multiple low-value parcels have been switched for expensive ones in his area
  • EXCLUSIVE
  • Karol Doba bought DJI Mavic 2 Pro Drone online and delivery was scheduled
  • But driver handed him package containing a lightbulb at his home in London
  • He complained to Amazon who said he would have to file a police report
  • But an officer told him it was a civil matter and police could not get involved
  • Amazon relented after pressure from MailOnline and has now refunded him

Glad that it has been sorted out!

After my gift card balance got pinched, I wouldn't trust this company. No laughing matter!

Ask a Question