What's in the news today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
New Zealand swimmer accompanied by Killer Whales https://www.news.com.au/technology/...e/news-story/203064089c7c45e4033995181bc325e6

There's a video on the news link, but I found better footage on youtube and posted it below.

Excerpt:

When Judie Johnson of Hahei, New Zealand recently took a dip off the coast of Coromandel, she never expected to be surrounded by a pod of orca whales.

“There was a shape that went under me, like a huge shape and I thought [it was] dolphins and I was quite excited, and then I saw the great white colour on the back,” she told New Zealand’s 1 NEWS of the experience.

At first, the woman was frightened, telling the news outlet she quickly swam to shore because she was fearful the orcas — also known as killer whales — would harm her.

“I was also thinking they eat seals and I’m in a black wetsuit,” Johnson said.

But moments later, she decided to jump back into the water to complete her swim.

The orcas again surrounded her, twisting and turning whimsically below as she gracefully switched from a backstroke to a breaststroke, drone video captured by Australian tourist Dylan Brayshaw shows, according to 1 NEWS.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I saw this and thought it was some sort of tame sea-farers! Crikey! Orcas! She's tempting fate. Perhaps, the killers have had just a heavy meal somewhere else.

This can now be filmed using a drone! Aren't we lucky! Bring a smile to my face.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hahaha!

'Ordered a tea and they put the milk in first!': New York Times asks Londoners if they've experienced petty crime in city... and gets suitably British replies
  • Paper recently claimed all Londoners ate boiled mutton until well into the 2000s - sparking a flood of mockery
  • And the publication found itself back in the firing line after asking Londoners for their stories of 'petty crimes'
  • Tea-making errors, queuing issues and social awkwardness all featured heavily in the thousands of responses

I will call 999 if they put milk in first. I like my tea strong.

source

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Germans can choose a THIRD gender - allowing people to be male, female or 'diverse' - after politicians approve the plans
  • Germany's parliament passed the law introducing a 'third option' last night
  • People will be able to change their name on birth certificates retrospectively
  • It comes after Germany's highest court ruled two choices were unconstitutional

And I thought there was a 3rd gender in German i.e. neutral!

Japan chooses the Chinese character for DISASTER as its defining symbol of 2018 after 12 months of floods, earthquakes and storms
    • Japan selected the Chinese character for 'disaster' as defining symbol for 2018
    • General public annually chooses a Chinese character that defines last 12 months
    • Mass flooding killed over 200 people while 150 died during a heatwave

• WzkxNDEyMjAxOCwiY3hvLmEiLCJodHRwczovL2kuZGFpbHltYWlsLmNvLnVrLzFzLzIwMTgvMTIvMTQvMDgvNzQxNzUwNi02NDk1MzE1LWltYWdlLW0tMTZfMTU0NDc3NjAxODQyNS5qcGciLCJybmQ3ODU3IiwiYzQ3ZjY2NSJd

今年の漢字 is 災

Same for the UK =

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Fir heaven's sake! 43ft Christmas tree brought 1,180 miles by sea from Norway as a gift to the people of Grimsby dies and is taken down - to be replaced by joker's 12in high effort
  • Tree was delivered as part of a 15-year tradition between the town and Norway
  • People began to complain that the tree was dying and demanded it be replaced
  • Before it finally was, a local prankster intervened and put a mini replica in place

WzE1MTQxMjIwMTgsImN4by5hIiwiaHR0cHM6Ly9pLmRhaWx5bWFpbC5jby51ay8xcy8yMDE4LzEyLzE0LzEwLzc0MjE2MTItNjQ5NTQ2MS1pbWFnZS1tLTExXzE1NDQ3ODQxNDI0MTEuanBnIiwicm5kNzg1NyIsImM0N2Y2NjUiXQ==

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Grimsby-replaced-jokers-12in-high-effort.html

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Organic food could be WORSE for the environment! More land is used to grow crops which emits up to 70% more carbon, study claims
  • A lack of chemical fertilisers means more land is used to grow crops
  • This means as a result 70 per cent more carbon is emitted, the study found
  • Scientists claim even organic meat and dairy products are worse for the climate

source

The author could be owner of a cricket farm! LOL!

I think we still use fertilisers for organic farming, just not those sold by companies in a box - Worm cast, horse manure, chicken manure. seaweed, ...But please don't ask me if the chickens are fed organically.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Organic food could be WORSE for the environment! More land is used to grow crops which emits up to 70% more carbon, study claims
  • A lack of chemical fertilisers means more land is used to grow crops
  • This means as a result 70 per cent more carbon is emitted, the study found
  • Scientists claim even organic meat and dairy products are worse for the climate

source

The author could be owner of a cricket farm! LOL!

I think we still use fertilisers for organic farming, just not those sold by companies in a box - Worm cast, horse manure, chicken manure. seaweed, ...But please don't ask me if the chickens are fed organically.
I believe this to be true in many cases and I also believe that many eco-communities and those that practice homesteading live a less sustainable lifestyle than those in cities.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have you got the end bit,@roadrunner ?

Apparently, eating bugs is more sustainable.

By the way, the weather has turned cold and my right knee is screaming and I thought about your squatting. I couldn't do that, so I went on the exercise bike and worked my legs for half an hour and I did that again yesterday. Now I can walk with ease. Of course, I eat my daily helping of celery. I so used to hate it. Now, I must have it every day! Just a piece between son and me. So good.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Dr Ellie Cannon: Will baby thrive on vegan diet or will it stunt her growth?

My sister recently gave birth and has decided to feed her baby daughter a vegan diet. I read a report from a doctor who said that this could stunt her growth. Should I be worried?

I do believe that.

Eight-year-old pupils to be told 'boys can have periods too' under new sex education lessons guidelines
  • Children will be told that 'all genders' can have periods under new guidelines
  • Brighton & Hove City Council issued the guidelines which have faced criticism
  • Guidance states: 'Trans boys and men and non-binary people may have periods'
:eek::eek::eek:

I have lost my will to live! and lament the early loss of innocence robbed by unhinged officials!

The new language of courtship

'I am a victim of COHABIDATING': Woman tells how new boyfriend asked to move in after a MONTH as we reveal bewildering new language of modern lonely hearts and those who know first-hand
  • Jemma Prittie was victim of cohabidating after moving in with man after month
  • Cohabidating is living with partner before quite ready to relieve financial stress
  • Other dating terms include being scrooged, FBO, breadcrumbed or stashed
  • Another term is R-bombing, when a person leaves a text message on read

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
You know, orang-utan and palm oil feature heavily on a supermarket chain and it is so sensitive that the advert is banned on TV.
Yes i watched a program of the oragutan and how their habitat is being distroyed for this palm oil, it's in everything. You look at the labels on products. It's in, cooking margerine, elmlea cream, vitalite margerine, cakes and biscuits, tinned custard. Anything with dairy products in. They say that it's sustainable but with a cost to the orangutan. thank

Have to go back to real cream, hubby doesn't like butter to spread with and no tinned custard.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Dr Ellie Cannon: Will baby thrive on vegan diet or will it stunt her growth?

My sister recently gave birth and has decided to feed her baby daughter a vegan diet. I read a report from a doctor who said that this could stunt her growth. Should I be worried?

I do believe that.

Eight-year-old pupils to be told 'boys can have periods too' under new sex education lessons guidelines
  • Children will be told that 'all genders' can have periods under new guidelines
  • Brighton & Hove City Council issued the guidelines which have faced criticism
  • Guidance states: 'Trans boys and men and non-binary people may have periods'
:eek::eek::eek:

I have lost my will to live! and lament the early loss of innocence robbed by unhinged officials!

The new language of courtship

'I am a victim of COHABIDATING': Woman tells how new boyfriend asked to move in after a MONTH as we reveal bewildering new language of modern lonely hearts and those who know first-hand
  • Jemma Prittie was victim of cohabidating after moving in with man after month
  • Cohabidating is living with partner before quite ready to relieve financial stress
  • Other dating terms include being scrooged, FBO, breadcrumbed or stashed
  • Another term is R-bombing, when a person leaves a text message on read
A vegan diet is very hard to do,It's hard enough with a vegetarian diet. My brother and his wife brought up 2 children on a vegetarian diet and was ok. But they said that it is difficult.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
British firm that gave £50,000 to emotive medical marijuana appeal pump MILLIONS into cannabis products branded Mr Nice
  • Kingsley Capital Partners (KCP) donated to campaigners for medicinal cannabis
  • Epilepsy sufferer Alfie Dingley case lead to law to allow drug prescribed legally
  • KCP launched products based on reputation of drugs smuggler Howard Marks
  • Critics said Mr Nice website were using the medical argument as a smokescreen
Selling drugs in a legalised smokescreen

Does it sound familiar - US version

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes i watched a program of the oragutan and how their habitat is being distroyed for this palm oil, it's in everything. You look at the labels on products. It's in, cooking margerine, elmlea cream, vitalite margerine, cakes and biscuits, tinned custard. Anything with dairy products in. They say that it's sustainable but with a cost to the orangutan. thank

Have to go back to real cream, hubby doesn't like butter to spread with and no tinned custard.

I love butter - the texture and the flavour. I won't touch margarine; but even that, I use it very sparingly. One Chinese chef was astounded when Ramsey or James Martin put tons of butter into the frying pan.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A vegan diet is very hard to do,It's hard enough with a vegetarian diet. My brother and his wife brought up 2 children on a vegetarian diet and was ok. But they said that it is difficult.

Were they slender and a bit smaller?

My friend's children went to the same school as my son. One veg teaching assistant screened documentary about the cruelty of killing lamb and most of the kids turned vegans and both of my friends veg children are now in the small size. The daughter is about 5 foot tall, shorter than her mum, which is quite rare in this day and age.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I love butter - the texture and the flavour. I won't touch margarine; but even that, I use it very sparingly. One Chinese chef was astounded when Ramsey or James Martin put tons of butter into the frying pan.
Yes i like butter, but no use having it if hubby doesn't. I would only use it for spreading on bread or making pastry and cakes.
I use sunflower oil for cooking, but that isn't any good with high temperatures.
Were they slender and a bit smaller?
No they were both good height.My brother is tall anyway and he turned vegetarian when he was 17, because he didn't like the way animals were being slaughtered. Being a vegan is a lot harder, they don't have dairy products, vegetarians do.

Ask a Question