What vegetable is your favourite to grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
What vegetable is your favourite to grow? I really enjoy growing my pumpkin! I love how big it is, how fast it grow, and I adore how it looks. The shoots are very expansive and the leaves have pretty shapes. And, first of all - pumpkin is beyond delicious!:D How about you? What do you enjoy growing the most

Reaction score
I am a huge squash fan, so I guess that is similar to your pumpkin fetish. We grew pumpkins last year and froze a lot, which we love as well. For me it is a toss up between my squash, onions (I grow monster onions) and garlic.

Reaction score
My favorite vegetable to grow would have to be tomatoes :D, I love how there are so many different varieties to choose from and for me they are relativley easy to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My favorite vegetable to grow would have to be tomatoes :D, I love how there are so many different varieties to choose from and for me they are relativley easy to grow.
Tomatoes are my second favourite! Maybe growing them isn't such a big fun as growing pumpkins to me, but I love eating them hence I also enjoy taking care of them - I always look forward to having delicious tomato sandwich:D

Reaction score

Same here!

We used to plant several rows of tomatoes every year. We would have big beef steak ones, yellow ones, romas, cherries, grape tomatoes.... One year we had a variety that was pink, but I don't know what kind that actually is. I love being able to go out every evening and always having fresh tomatoes to use with dinner or as a snack.

Reaction score
I like growing my potatoes. It is so easy to get a decent crop. I have even had success planting organic supermarket potatoes in containers. Nothing tastes quite like a roast potato from your own garden

Jed

Reaction score
I like growing my potatoes. It is so easy to get a decent crop. I have even had success planting organic supermarket potatoes in containers. Nothing tastes quite like a roast potato from your own garden
I have to agree with Jubbly. Spuds are so easy to grow. Anyone can grow them even in a trash can with holes drilled in the bottom. Start one potato at the bottom in compost or a manure mix and keep adding straw or soil as it grows covering some of the leaves. There is a method of using 2 or 3 tyres stacked on top of each other as they grow but there is a thought the potatoes are subjected to the chemicals in the tyres.

Reaction score
I think my favourite so far are cucumbers. I planted some this year and had very low hopes for them as they were not sprouting at first, but suddenly they began to grow. And once it begins, it doesn't stop until they're ready to give up for the season. I got a pretty large crop from my 3 plants and this and they were pretty easy to maintain. Granted, they kept holding on to all my other veggies and flowers, but after some creativity and some 2x4s, I stopped the problem!

Reaction score
My favorites are tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes and carrots. I love watching them grow and taking care of them.

Reaction score
I think my favourite so far are cucumbers. I planted some this year and had very low hopes for them as they were not sprouting at first, but suddenly they began to grow

So what do you do with all the cucumbers? I enjoy eating cucumbers and putting them in salads. Beyond that, though, I don't know what to do with all the extras. I tried my hand at pickles a few times, but they failed miserably every time. And you can't really freeze them for later. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Here's a short recipe for you, Jessi. It worked out fine for me:

CUCUMBER PICKLES
Soak pickles overnight in salt and alum solution. Next morning, drain well, then heat to the boiling point in the following mixture.
3 cups water
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar

Combine 2 1/2 cups sugar with 1 cup white vinegar. Transfer pickles to hot sterilized jars. Add 1 teaspoon mustard seed or mixed pickling spices to jar.
Method 1: Pour boiling vinegar mixture over pickles to overflowing. Wipe rim of jar and seal. Turn jar upside down and leave for 24 hours.
Method 2: Fill jar leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust two piece caps. Process in a boiling water batch for 10 minutes.
Store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.

More ideas here: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,2336,153183-234205,00.html

Reaction score
Thanks Amalia. For whatever reason, every recipe I tried, the pickles came out soggy. They didn't keep their crunch at all and were like wet socks. Wet...dill....nasty socks, lol.

Reaction score
Make a simple sandwich, simply cut the crusts off thin white bread. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on each slice and sandwich peeled, sliced cucumbers between two slices. Slice diagonally to make perfect wedged sammies.

I love to eat cucumbers raw. I just slit into four equal parts add some salt, pepper and some times dip into lemon juice. Its taste so good that you cant stop eating it. My favorite vegetable is eggplant, Okra and potato. I love to eat deep fired eggplant, okra and potato it taste so good hmm yummy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Geeze my pickles do not even make it in the house most times .I pick them while I am out doing yard work and end up eating them .I will even drive by on the lawn mower and stop and pick one and eat it .Fast drive through :)

Ask a Question