Container vegetables

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys I'm looking at doing more in grow bags this year. Can you grow brassicas in them? What's some tomatoes and peppers that do well in containers? Tia

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Brassicas are unlikely to grow well in growbags used conventionally, because they need a lot of support from the soil. You would probably get away with spinach and radishes, and, if you cut them in half across-ways and turn them on their sides to get extra depth, you may get a cabbage, which may, or may not heart.

Not a great idea, to be honest.

Your fellow Americans would be better at advising on local tomato and pepper cultivars, but they do well, as do aubergines (eggplants) and cucumbers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Brassicas are unlikely to grow well in growbags used conventionally, because they need a lot of support from the soil. You would probably get away with spinach and radishes, and, if you cut them in half across-ways and turn them on their sides to get extra depth, you may get a cabbage, which may, or may not heart.

Not a great idea, to be honest.

Your fellow Americans would be better at advising on local tomato and pepper cultivars, but they do well, as do aubergines (eggplants) and cucumbers.

Speaking of which you folks have reminded me I have a quantity of those felt type grow bags in my shed along with associated water trays. It is time to start summer seeds here in about a week. I think I will dig them out and use them this year to see how roots fair in our summer heat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Brian, this is experience/advice from central Texas, and may not apply to your growing area and climate.
A friend grew broccoli in containers--one 5 gal. pail per plant--and it did well. Another friend had a grow bag of tomatoes on her back porch, until the bag gave way and she had a mess on her porch.
For containers, use the largest you can get, and go for the "patio" type tomatoes, which are cherry types. Also smaller peppers, like Jinglebells. You need smaller plants, and simply pruning them back won't do a thing to limit the rather extensive root structure tomatoes and peppers have.
Good luck with your bags and containers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hello @Brian1985 ,
I do a fair amount of growing in containers (mostly 5 gallon) and my experience with brassicas is forget all but broccoli for container growing. My brussels never sprouted and the others were stunted. I did enjoy good success with a broccoli that was a hybrid. Asprabroc. Had small flowers and thin stocks that are quite tasty. None of it made it into the kitchen...due to me eeating my way throuh the harvest.

I grow all of my hot peppers in containers. I have grown tomatoes and other veggies in containers but have found that the ones grown in the ground do a lot better than in containers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Just started my hot pepper seeds in soil blocks today... sneezed, usedmamlot of tissue and was delighted for it.
I'm an old hobby gardener who always gets surprises. Oh really, was it supposed to get that big! :)

@Brian1985 just try it. Everyonenhas differnt successes. It's all fun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
What zone are you in lori that you started hot peppers? I'm told around March 1st here and I'm in 5b.

I am in a 5a. I usually start them Boxing days because hot peppers take forever. I got a little behind because I had granddaughters here for Christmas break. I'll be starting new seeds every week this month and then next month the hanging pots will have been sown with their flower seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year I grey jalapeño peppers, cayenne peppers, and bloody butcher tomato in a grow bag. Peppers did pretty good and bloody butcher did average probably. Was just wondering if there's better varieties to grown in pots other than cherries? Not a big cherry fan and don't plant any.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Should I be starting peppers early than march 1st in 5b? I was told that date by a guy who sells at the local farmers market. Said he started in February last year and never again. He had to keep repotting them into bigger containers. By the time he planted plants outside mid may they were almost full size already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Should I be starting peppers early than march 1st in 5b? I was told that date by a guy who sells at the local farmers market. Said he started in February last year and never again. He had to keep repotting them into bigger containers. By the time he planted plants outside mid may they were almost full size already.
Even at "full size" the fruiting is so laboriously slow to maturity that pepperheads know to start early. The maturation might be enhanced with certain phytohormones but just getting the peppers on the plant early allows picking 30-45 days ahead. The fellow had to repot because he was new at the game. Just start out like the plant was larger and do less work as a result.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Even at "full size" the fruiting is so laboriously slow to maturity that pepperheads know to start early. The maturation might be enhanced with certain phytohormones but just getting the peppers on the plant early allows picking 30-45 days ahead. The fellow had to repot because he was new at the game. Just start out like the plant was larger and do less work as a result.

So your saying you'd start ahead of that? My average last frost date is may 15th here. When should I be starting them?

Ask a Question