Container potato

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm doing late potato's in containers (pushing the time frame a bitb but should be good) and have been doing some reading (usually gets me in trouble) about layer planting. Seems you can plant them in layers within the container to increase yield. How deep can you go and still have the tuber get vegetation to the surface? I would think of you go too deep it just won't make it to the surface? Does it slow things down considerably? I'm using 30 gal containers about 16 and 20 inches deep.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen little, over-looked potatoes send foliage three feet through a compost bin. 16-20 inches, or, rather, 12-16 inches, since you want about 4 inches below the seed tubers for root growth, is no challenge, especially if you make sure the growing medium is kept reasonably light and not too compacted, which in tubs shouldn't be difficult.
Wish the climate was good enough to grow new potatoes over the winter here but, even in the greenhouse, yields are very poor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'll see how it goes. I hadn't tried them before other than my first crop that I'm harvesting today

Ask a Question