What types of herbs do you grow?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I did have some Basil on the kitchen window till 2 days ago, its suddenly died. Think I overwatered it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have some herbs growing outside in my garden, but I think I would like to grow some in the kitchen also. The most important one I want to grow is cilantro. I just love that herb, especially when it is fresh.

Cilantro is very thirsty. Even one day without water can kill it depending on how developed it is. If you buy a plant, as opposed to starting it from seed, don't get the ones that say water from the bottom. They seem harder to maintain. It's okay to leave it sitting with a little bit of water in the drain pan; you'll notice a couple hours later the water has all been soaked up.

I did have some Basil on the kitchen window till 2 days ago, its suddenly died. Think I overwatered it.

Oh no, Zigs! So sorry about that. Basil doesn't need a heck of a lot of water, especially indoors, you just don't want it to ever completely dry out.

Reaction score
Right now I am growing basil. I am going to plant cilantro, parsley and parsley soon. For my summer garden I am going to grow all the popular ones. I can't wait!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My cilantro didn't make it :-( Will have to start again next season. This time I think I will get two plants so that I will be able to collect more seeds. Will also put the transplants in self watering containers.

Reaction score
I grow chives, mint, basil, dill. I have grown catnip but my goodness that stuff spreads like crazy, still have it and just pull it out.

Reaction score
I'm really bad at overwatering plants I keep in the house. I bought two chive plantpots recently - too late to put them into the garden, so I repotted them, and put them on a windowsill on the top floor, where there's plenty of light. I think in trying not to overwater, I've *under* watered these, its very frustrating. Hopefully they'll grow again when I do manage to plant them out in the spring.

In the garden itself, I've got mint, rosemary, lavender, and a sage plant waiting to be planted, that a friend sent to me. I've also got comfrey, which I intend to use for helping the compost along, but thinking about it, I don't think that counts as a herb.

I'd like to plant ginger, as I know it helps with arthritis, but I look at those roots that you can buy in the shops, and think, well, how much of that will I have to waste so that I can get to the bit thats eat-able! Doesn't seem worth it, sadly, and yet the flavour is so great.

Reaction score
I would love to have an indoor herb garden, but I don't have enough sunlight in my kitchen. And unfortunately when I've tried, I end up with a house full of little bugs. I would love to grow cilantro especially as that is my favorite, but it just doesn't seem to grow for me at all. Maybe I'll try basil or mint and see what happens. Those are both fairly hardy.
If you have problems sprouting cilantro.. try this -
Put stones or marbles at the bottom of your container to ensure proper drainage.. use only 1:1 perlite and vermiculite / compost and spread the seeds on top of your container.. light spread another layer of perlite and wet the container thoroughly, cover it with a cling wrap and leave it in a warm but dark place for a week. The plant would have sprouted by then. Keep the plant where there is enough sunlight. Water it everyday. Do not transplant cilantro.. the do not survive the shock. Let the grow until the are ready to be used.

Reaction score
As of now, I have tulasi and Mint growing in my garden. They have a lot of medicinal values and I eat a couple of tulasi leaves everyday in the morning and mint juice in the evening. Tulasi leaves keeps me from getting cold and cough and Mint juice improves the digestion problem, gastritis and acidity problems.
I would love to have a neem tree as well, but I do not have enough space to accommodate a tree as my garden is a small one. I am planning to learn bonsai art and try to grow neem in my garden. Neem has a lot of medicinal qualities and a glass of neem juice in the empty stomach will improve the immunity and it will keep us away from cancers and it will also improve the skin texture. The skin will glow from inside because neem removes all the toxins from out body. Hope it is possible. Fingers cross.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Currently we have parsley, basil, and thyme and tabasco and datil peppers. My ex-wife has bay trees growing on her property (my ex-property) and I can find it nearby (bay grows wild in this part of the country). sometimes we have dill and mint.

Reaction score
I am also only growing mint at the moment. Though I want to have a basil, parsley, chives, and maybe many other herbs when the season comes. I love fresh basil on pizza. It even makes frozen ones better. I want to try my hands at planting cilantro, too. My very big basil plant died after being moved inside (and being eaten by a caterpillar that I didn't know was on it! It didn't recover from it, sadly.)

Reaction score
I have grown lavender, hyssop, chamomile, lots of basil, more basil, lemon balm lemon grass, various mints, and did I mention basil?

This year I'm jumping in full force, bought a set of medicinal herbs. 20+ varieties, including the wormwood, which I saw on here is quite nasty. lol

Glad I read this thread, I'll be growing cilantro for the first time so I'll make sure I water it well.

The reason I went with an entire set instead of individual herbs is it is the only way I could find lemon grass, which I love.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have mint, oregano (in a sheltered spot), parsley & chives both just through, and have just planted some container dill and basil.

I have 38 garlic shoots prodding through too.

Reaction score
I would give a report on my garlic shoots but I'd have to remove 3' of snow to see if they have done anything. I think I'll wait. Need to spend more time getting my herb seedlings started anyway.

Reaction score
Last summer I grew parsley, chives, sweet basil, and cilantro. the parsley and cilantro didn't do very good at all, but my chives and sweet basil did wonderful. I used a manure soil to plant them in, all in the same pot. I plan on growing more then just the 4 this coming summer but not sure whats the best for them to produce well. Any body have any advice for me? would help a bunch!!

Ask a Question