What types of herbs do you grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm just curious - what types of herbs do you grow? In my kitchen I have quite a lot of flowerpots, it's my little herb garden, I love it. I grow mint, thyme, lavender - what a beautiful scent - and basil. How about you? I'm looking for some inspiration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Right now I have mint, Italian basil, and Thai basil growing in containers outdoors, parsley indoors, and I recently sprouted cilantro, lemon basil, lavender, ginger, and more Italian basil. I want to add more, but more plants mean more time and work, so I am adding things slowly.

Jed

Reaction score
Well I have a lovely lemon verbena bush at the entrance to my hothouse and there's parsley,thyme oregano,chives, coriander and garlic all growing at the moment. All are in the hothouse except for the crop of garlic. Summer will be here soon so many more will be planted including my all time favourite, basil.

Reaction score
I would love to have an indoor herb garden, but I don't have enough sunlight in my kitchen. And unfortunately when I've tried, I end up with a house full of little bugs. I would love to grow cilantro especially as that is my favorite, but it just doesn't seem to grow for me at all. Maybe I'll try basil or mint and see what happens. Those are both fairly hardy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would love to have an indoor herb garden, but I don't have enough sunlight in my kitchen. And unfortunately when I've tried, I end up with a house full of little bugs. I would love to grow cilantro especially as that is my favorite, but it just doesn't seem to grow for me at all. Maybe I'll try basil or mint and see what happens. Those are both fairly hardy.

The first time I tried cilantro it was a total flop. The second time I figured out it needed a lot of water. Most plants shouldn't be left standing in water, but if you over water the cilantro slightly, you'll come back after a while and see that the excess water in the drain dish has been soaked up. I'm not so sure the plants in my kitchen are getting enough light, but they are surviving on the window sill.

Tam

Reaction score
I have chives, rosemary, sage, parsley, lemon balm, peppermint, thyme, oregano, marjaram, dill,and basil. My herb garden is outside and since I have such a long winter here I dry my herbs so I have some all year. I will have to try freezing some next year as I hear when you thaw them they are like having fresh herbs.

Reaction score
Chives are my all time favorite to grow in the window sill.

I have also tried my hand at herbs like oregano, cilantro, parsley, and basil before. Sometimes they turn out great and other times they flop rather hard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chives are my all time favorite to grow in the window sill.

I have also tried my hand at herbs like oregano, cilantro, parsley, and basil before. Sometimes they turn out great and other times they flop rather hard.

I used to have chives; I'd like to grow them again because I like having them for baked potatoes, soups, and noodle dishes. Nice to know they can grow on the window sill.

Reaction score
Honestly I have never heard of a herb garden in the kitchen. This is something that I find very interesting. I am getting all kinds of ideas and cannot wait to try them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Honestly I have never heard of a herb garden in the kitchen. This is something that I find very interesting. I am getting all kinds of ideas and cannot wait to try them.

That is amazing! So many people keep herbs on the windowsill, particularly in winter when it's too cold to grow them outside. There are so many references to it in books, magazines, movies... There are even little kits you can buy!

Reaction score
At the moment I'm not growing any herbs other than mint.
It's not a plant to worry about, as it's easy and fast to grow.
I usually use the leaves as a freshening tea.

Also, cats seem to like the mint plant even though it's not catnip :)

Reaction score
That is amazing! So many people keep herbs on the windowsill, particularly in winter when it's too cold to grow them outside. There are so many references to it in books, magazines, movies... There are even little kits you can buy!

I am going to have to look for these kits. I would love to grow herbs in my kitchen I am just not sure if they will get enough sun light due to all the pine trees we have in our yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am going to have to look for these kits. I would love to grow herbs in my kitchen I am just not sure if they will get enough sun light due to all the pine trees we have in our yard.

Maybe there is another room with a window you can try? If you buy an herb kit be sure it's organic. The best thing is probably just to get a live plant from some place like Whole Foods or seeds from someplace reliable.

Reaction score
I have some herbs growing outside in my garden, but I think I would like to grow some in the kitchen also. The most important one I want to grow is cilantro. I just love that herb, especially when it is fresh.

Ask a Question