How many different types of plants do you have in your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just curious. I have a limit of having only 30 species of plants in my garden because I don't like to overwhelm my yard with so many different things. I like having a lot of the same plants rather. And that is including all the vegetables and fruit plants I grow as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
My yard is 25m x 25m. I have 2 old apple trees, 1 pear and 3 yang apple trees. A lot of black currant and strawberry. There are 2 green houses for tomatoes and cucumbers.
Peonies, clematis, phlox, primulas. I want all the things. But I've got no time and energy to care for them.(n) It's difficult to have a limit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My property is just shy of a half-acre and like @Owdboggy I wouldn't know where to start counting! If you count all the native/wild things that I let be around the back and side yards, probably into the 100s.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Three years back I started planting with nature's critters in mind,so my yard is quite diverse. I wouldn't have a clue on how many, or what in many cases I have growing. I will say since doing this my yard has flourished in butterflies, birds, bees, even dragonflies are more pronounced here than before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh wow looks like you guys have quite a lot! Well my yard is pretty big but we don't really have native plants other than the eastern redcedar tree. And licenter, you must have a lot of flowers then! what kinds do you have?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have roughly 30-35 different species. Probably won't add more than 40 different species.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
I have two gardens so to say. One is a lawn/garden because I have grass there a some kind of evergreen small hedges and I have some wild mint all around the place which I use for tea and in kitchen. Also rosemary and basil grow on my lawn but I managed to place then on the rim of it for aesthetic reasons. On the other hand I have a small garden with tomatoes and cucumbers as well as some pots with several different peppers. I love this versatility around me and I will like to plant some more herbs and plants such as Lavender and Dill. They smell great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Since I don't have a garden, I grow all my plants indoors.
Many of them belong to the same species. For example, I have 3 ferns, 2 muehlenbeckia, many peperomia plants and many african violets. I don't want my indoor garden to look too chaotic.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have never counted how many plants In have in my garden. Perhaps there are more than 50 species of plants, or even more...I just don't know.I have fruits bearing trees such as mango, guava, lychee, lemon, lime;vegetables such as tomato, cauliflower, beans, cucumber, eggplant etc.; cereals such as corn, rice,wheat etc.; flowers such as rose, marigold, lily, dahlia, Jasmin etc.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a red raspberry plant growing along the fence and lots of ivy that we need to get under control, the ivy is taking over the yard and growing up the trees.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Like many of the members here, I have too many to count (plus I can't name some of them!). We have about 9 1/2 acres, with two acres in lawn/flowerbeds/vegetable gardens, and the rest is pasture except for a one acre pond. We encourage native plants, and have brought some in where their presence was lacking.
We have noticed an increase in butterflies, birds, and mammals. Perhaps it's due to the native plants, or perhaps due to the lack of close mowing.
I have to admit to having an addiction to roses, and we have about 28 right now. We also planted a small orchard of apples, pears, and almonds. Our grapevine is going to produce for the first time this year!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 4 tomato plants, 8 okra plants, 4 bell peppers, 1 cucumber, 10 corn plants, 1 eggplant, 10 lettuce, and 1 cilantro plant. I am also experimenting growing veggies in my 3 season room by growing green beans in it.

Ask a Question