Types of plants that don't like a lot of light

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know any plants that don't require a lot of light? Ideally I want to keep these in my basement but any typical plant requiring light would die down there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Peace Lilies don't need a lot of sunlight, but I'm not sure if they could survive in a basement. Are there any windows in the place where you want to grow the new plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haha..it would be interesting to find out what else can grow in the basement beside mushrooms :)

I am going to look up Peace Lilies to see if they can tolerate a life in the basement, @claudine ! I am moving in a couple of days, I we will have a basement to toil with :)

Reaction score
African Violets do not need any light source and they are very beautiful. I don't know why they don't need light, but I did do a search to double check. They make awesome indoor plants and are fairly easy to maintain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Are you sure about this Alexiskilgannon? I remember reading somewhere that African Violets don't bloom if they don't get enough sunlight. I'm not sure if it's true though. I got my very first African Violet around a month ago, so I don't know too much about these plants yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Sorry to disagree but African Violets (Saintpaulias) definitely need light. They prefer bright, indirect, light but not in direct sunlight. Without light there will be no photosynthesis and the plant will starve. Without light the plant can't produce plant carbohydrates.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd probably say Rex Begonia's or maybe a Ferns such as a Silver Lace Fern may work. Others to try would be a Spider Plant or maybe Fittonia's .....I do remember my mum keeping African Violets in dark parts of there house & seem to remember a lack of bloom often I'd say the need to be in view of a window

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the recommendations. I need some kind of plant down there to freshen up the room. I don’t mind if it doesn’t blossom so that one maybe okay as well. As long as it doesn’t need direct light to survive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Ivy doesn't need direct sunlight either. And it can look really pretty! Some time ago, I bought two miniature ivy plants. I keep them far away from the window in my kitchen and they're doing great:)

Ask a Question