What time of day do you do the gardening?

Reaction score
I often see various people up very early working in their gardens. Some people must get some of their gardening out of the way before they go to work. I tend to spend the weekends doing most of the gardening. When do you tend to do most of your gardening?

Reaction score
The early morning is probably the best time especially in the summer when it gets so hot. Since I had kids and didn't feel like getting up super early, the gardening was done at the time of the afternoon nap or occasionally in the evening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I take care of my miniature roses whenever I have some free time:) Usually, I water them in the evening and prune them in the morning. I love doing it, it's so relaxing:)

Reaction score
Oh, I LOVE miniature roses! They are so dainty and bright!

They do not do well where I live, as it is cold and sometimes we get deep snow, so some years I buy them in the spring to use as a potted plant. I have to let them die in the Fall, as my house is not light enough to keep them happy. I have tried grow lights but then they show signs of the air being too dry. In a busy world, I have learned to only bring the plants inside that are suited for it.

As for the outside garden, I go out early in the summer to tend it, and I carry a shopping bag to bring back whatever is ready to be eaten or put in a vase. Now that it is colder out I really prefer to wait until it warms up a bit, and I no longer tend it every day. The weeds have stopped growing and it rains often enough so that I no longer have to water anything. Though, in two days time I will have to cover the cabbage and kale as it is supposed to get very cold again.

I still have swiss chard in the refrigerator, so I will not be doing anything in the garden today: I will probably pick quite a bit of vegetables on Friday when I cover the plants before it freezes. Anything edible in the garden this time of year is a bonus!

Reaction score
Hadn't really thought about it, as I tend to garden almost all of the time :D but now that I'm thinking about it.
During the Summer months, will start extremely early in the morning and work until the scorching sun and incredible heat has become too much to bear, at which time, I will search out a cool shady place until late evening, when I will then continue, until it is almost too dark to see what I'm doing :D
Winter is different, in that I prefer if I can, to garden when its warmer, which is normally somewhere between late morning and mid to late afternoon.

Reaction score
I'm out there as early as 5:00 am, drinking coffee and admiring my handiwork. My schedule is such that I can do gardening at anytime but I prefer to pick early in the morning and weed in the late afternoon.

Reaction score
When it is very warm out we are out there early in the morning and then as late as possible in the afternoon when the sun starts sinking down. When it is cooler we go out anytime we get the chance. During the summer months it is just too hot to stay out there too long in the mid day time frame.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
During the summer I like to get out very early in the morning before the bugs start to move around. It gets too hot by 10AM so not to much is going to get done until later in the evening. During the winter I go out to clean the yard when the sun has warmed up the air so that it is more comfortable out.

Reaction score
I have always done gardening in the early morning hours, before the sun starts scorching.
It is less harsh on the plants, and me.

I have had to do afternoon gardening, and found that I did not enjoy it as much.

There is something magical about gardening in the early morning.

Ask a Question