What is your greatest gardening success?

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've always wondered what brings people to gardening and, once there, what point in their gardening were they most impressed by what they were able to do. Are you particularly proud of any plant that you've grown? Anything rare, exotic, or difficult that you managed to bring to life?

For me personally my favorite gardening moment was when i started a batch of sensitive plants in my indoor garden. For those that don't know what they are, they look like this:
wild-sensitive-plant-7-30-09-039.jpg

The coolest thing about this plant is that when you touch them they react. the plant will fold in on itself. It was a really cool plant to have displayed in my gardening store.

So, what about you guys?

Reaction score
Wow, that plant looks awesome, what is its name? I have never heard of a plant that actually reacted when touched :) You must have been so proud of having a plant like that on display. it's also cool you own your own gardening store :eek:(y)

Back on topic... I think my greatest sucess would be my calla lilies... I had never had a plant with flowers that looked like that. Sadly it hasn't bloomed this year :( But once it does that again I'm sure it will be just stunning. Ow, another gardening success story of mine would be when I managed to grow some cucumbers!! from seed!!!! I'm not that good growing things from seed, so that was quite an accomplishment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a Mimosa, isn't it? I heard that they're hard to grow.
My greatest gardening success are my miniature roses, I love them and I'm so proud of them, I always show them to anyone that visits me:) When I got my first rose, I didn't know anything about plants and I had absolutely no experience with gardening. It was all so new to me. It's a miracle that my first rose survived, haha:p. I still have it , it's healthy and big:D

Reaction score
jasonresno

Am I right in thinking, that your lovely plant is the easy to grow Mimosa Pudica with pink pompom blossoms, that are now becoming very popular as house plants, and one of those 'sensitive' plants, that they call ' the tickle me ' plant - which doesn't actually giggle, but is supposed to move like an animal being tickled, when you touch its leaves :D
If it is the ' Tickle Me Plant ' then I think, not only are you proud to have it, but are also having many great moments with this - really fun plant, apparently people are buying them like crazy for their kids.

As for plants that I'm proud of, would have to say all of them, as most of the plants I normally choose to grow are exotics and usually rare and unusual, but do feel particularly pleased with myself for saving both a Lemon Tree and very large Aloe, when a month of freak weather struck 18 months ago, with day and night time temperatures not reaching much above -12 C and a windchill of -15 to -16 C. My Aloe actually melted and looked like it was dead and the Lemon Tree was much the same, but rather than melting turned rather brown and crisp looking, but now 18 months later after nurturing them back to health, my Lemon Tree is absolutely full of lemons and my Aloe, although only half its original height at 3 - 4ft, covered in winter blooms.

Reaction score
In Puerto Rico there were many plants like the one on your picture. It is a great memory of my childhood. I thought they were the coolest thing.

As far as my best project or plant, I have to say my rose bushes. I managed to keep 7 plants pruned, blooming, and healthy for many years at my old house. I purchased, a "Blue Moon", A bright Yellow, A purple variety, A pink and white, a deep velvet red, a bright red, and another variation of white with hint of color purple. They were my pride and joy.

Ask a Question