What is your favorite fruit to grow because of yield?

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
I am looking to add a new edition to our garden and I was thinking about a fruit. What is your favorite fruit to grow because it yields a lot of fruit? I really like making jams and so I need quite a bit to be able to do what I want with it. The other berries we grow are only good to garnish ice-cream or maybe do small desserts.

Reaction score
Strawberries :) My grandma used to grown them and make all sorts of amazing things with them. She also had a quince tree and often made a sweet dessert known over here as ''Ate de membrillo'':

Dulce-de-membrillo1-1024x783.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Oh my! That looks delicious! thank you for adding that recipe! We did just get some nice strawberries delivered to us for about 3.50 for a Kilo and I use them for a lot of things. The ones I tried to grow never took but maybe I'll have to try it again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
''Ate de membrillo' looks yummy! I've never eaten anything like it. Do you eat it cold or warm it up? Is it soft?

My favorite fruits to grow are apples. I have a big apple tree in my garden. Every year, it produces lots and lots of fruits. I'm very happy about it, because I love dried apples. They're easy to make and really delicious.

Reaction score
My favorite fruit to grow because of it's bountiful produce would have to be tomatoes especially those juicy salad ones..tomatoes slices is something i ate almost everyday so there is never too much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Blacberries are extremely easy if you have the right climate and enough space. As a matter of fact, once they get going, all you have to do is contol the growth. They are my favorite to grow and make pies with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Blueberries! Got a freezer full and ate them daily. It took several years for the bushes to really start producing (about the same amount of time as a fruit tree) but in my climate they are the best and aren't bothered by unseasonable rains. They produce from June into September.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Blueberries! Got a freezer full and ate them daily. It took several years for the bushes to really start producing (about the same amount of time as a fruit tree) but in my climate they are the best and aren't bothered by unseasonable rains. They produce from June into September.

I had forgotten about blueberries! A friend of mine used to have us water her blueberry bushes when they went on vacation during the summer. Each year her husband had enough yield to make the most delicious blueberry wine! Thanks for the reminder. So far all the ideas have been great!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had several fruit trees when we lived in California, the plum tree out produced all of the other trees. The plums were so good, it was great to be able to just go out pick some and start to eat them. We canned what we could and gave away alot. I would grow strawberries if' I knew I would get a great return of fruit, but I never have with strawberries if any at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
I had several fruit trees when we lived in California, the plum tree out produced all of the other trees. The plums were so good, it was great to be able to just go out pick some and start to eat them. We canned what we could and gave away alot. I would grow strawberries if' I knew I would get a great return of fruit, but I never have with strawberries if any at all.

Yeah, my strawberries were really pathetic last year, so I'm hoping to try something else. But I have never tossed the idea around about plums. They grow them here in the mountains where I will be for the rest of the year. I am going to go into the market tomorrow and ask some of the farmers what time of year they traditionally produce, that might be a good idea! Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Blackcurrants. Nothing seems to stop them, they are so prolific! You will have so many you can do more than make jam with them. I have 3 blackcurrant bushes that I collected 8.5 kgs of fruit from this year. I've made loads of jam, cordials, a fruit compote for eating with yogurt and ice cream, and made a couple of blackcurrant ripple ice creams too. I've also got redcurrant and whitecurrant bushes, but I only ever seem to make redcurrant jelly with the red ones, and I use the white ones for winemaking.

Blackcurrants are also rarely bothered by pests; greenfly can get a hold in the spring, but I've found that planting a few bulbs of garlic around the bush helps, as well as leaving some weeds around the area which is a far greater deterrent than anything else.

Ask a Question