What is this weed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
This weed is spreading on my lawn. What is it and how do I get rid of it organically please? Right now I just pull them by hand

Attachments

• IMG_2052.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 134
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If those sticks are part of the roots the it is not dichondra though the leave do have that silver dollar shape. The darkened middles would not be the kind of dichondra in my yard, but I am sure there are varieties I would not know about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Sorry the weed I'm referring to is the ones closest to the ground. Attached is the close up pic of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2053.jpg
    IMG_2053.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 121
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They are new seedlings of Spotted Spurge. You can use Dr Earth Final Stop ready to use weed spray. It is a vinegar and clove oil based weed killer. I got mine at Home Depot. It does kill anything you spray it on so be careful not to spray plants or parts of plants you want to keep. It only affects the part you spray so if you get only a little of something you want to keep it won’t kill the whole thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yeah, I agree, it's probably spurge (see note below). If it is Spurge, I would simply stab it with a spade a bunch of times, especially in the area of the roots and leave it as a mulch and as it degrades it will return its nutrients back into the soil.

P.S. There is a very small chance that what you have is Purslane, I say this only because the stems seemed thicker than Spurge (at least the variety I have). One quick way to tell if that is Spurge or Purslane, it to break off a stem and see if the sap is Milky (completely white sap), then it is Spurge.

If it's Purslane the sap will be clear, NOT white.

If it's Purslane, don't kill it, eat it! It's one of the most nutritional plants to eat. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/purslane#TOC_TITLE_HDR_3

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the second photo posted (three posts up) there might be two species of annual Spurge, though it would help for determination if we could see macro shots of the cyathia, fruit, and seeds.
If so, Euphorbia maculata is on the left, and Euphorbia prostrata is in the middle and right.
In the past, these two Spurge and other similar species with opposite leaves were separated into the genus, Chamaesyce, but recent treatments retain them within Euphorbia.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's Spurge. The stuff grows anywhere from cold and wet to desserts all over the world. Get rid of it! It spreads like - well, you know.... If it gets in your lawn you will have a a hell of a time getting rid of it unless you apply a board leave killer. Fortunately it pulls up fairly easily and spot aplications of weedkillers work very well.

Ask a Question