What is the coolest/most random plant you've grown yourself from seed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Takes about 20 years to produce lemons from a seed grown citrus, most of them are grafted.

That's what I always thought, but I know someone who claimed to get a huge quantity of fruit off a lemon tree that she'd grown from seed and apparently it was nowhere near that age. I don't know if she had the magic touch or if she wasn't telling the truth but I was always surprised by her claims.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Could just be the luck of the draw, some fruit & some don't, thats how new varieties are made.

Reaction score
For me it was morning glories, that plant is actually the only one I've been able to grow from a seed :( Well, now that I think about it I've also been able to grow cucumbers from a seed, but that wasn't hard at all. Other than that... no I'm not very good with seeds at all. I've tried with those seeds sold at the markets, but nothing ever happens!

Reaction score
An apple tree sapling! I had to put the seeds in the fridge in order to get them to germinate.

Reaction score
I've grown all sorts of plants from seeds but I don't think any of the plants are out of the ordinary. It's more the circumstances that make a few of them special.

The first was a clementine seed that came from a box of seedless clementines. There was only one seed in the whole box of fruit.

More recently I've been 'forced ' to plant avocado and mango seeds because they've already had roots when they were removed from the fruit.
That sounds pretty neat though! I didn't know that the pit of the mango grows roots--is that what happens?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
That sounds pretty neat though! I didn't know that the pit of the mango grows roots--is that what happens?

Yes, the roots grow out of the pit. I've looked up instructions for planting them and some say to break open the pit to get at the seed inside, but I've never bothered to do that. I've succeeded in getting three of them to grow with very little effort, but as I said, the last one already had roots coming out of the pit when I cut the mango open.

By contrast the most difficulty I've had with seeds was trying to grow cherries. I can't remember the details but I refrigerated the seeds for several months, then planted the ones that seemed viable and waited. Out of nine seeds two germinated, but the one seemed to have a genetic abnormality as the leaves were snow white. I would have loved to have an albino cherry tree, but sadly that one didn't survive. The other one is now growing happily in a pot in my back yard. It's four years old and about four feet tall.

Reaction score
Yes, the roots grow out of the pit. I've looked up instructions for planting them and some say to break open the pit to get at the seed inside, but I've never bothered to do that. I've succeeded in getting three of them to grow with very little effort, but as I said, the last one already had roots coming out of the pit when I cut the mango open.

By contrast the most difficulty I've had with seeds was trying to grow cherries. I can't remember the details but I refrigerated the seeds for several months, then planted the ones that seemed viable and waited. Out of nine seeds two germinated, but the one seemed to have a genetic abnormality as the leaves were snow white. I would have loved to have an albino cherry tree, but sadly that one didn't survive. The other one is now growing happily in a pot in my back yard. It's four years old and about four feet tall.

That's so interesting. How long did it take for the mango pit to turn into a seedling? I think an albino cherry tree would be pretty awesome too!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think there is anything interesting that I've grown from seed. I've grown bachelor buttons, sunflowers, vegetables, fruits, and herbs. I usually have a pretty boring garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love potatoes but I have never heard of growing them from actual seed. So, I decided to try growing an organic potato I had.. which had sprouted. I cut it into pieces, making sure each piece had at least one sprout growing. I placed each of the six or so pieces about two inches deep into a big planter I had filled with dirt. Then I watered it every day. It took about 10 days and I started to see green leaves pushing through the soil. About a week later I had lush green leaves all over the large planter pot. Within a month I had the most lush, green, two foot tall plant I had ever seen! That was about three weeks ago. Now the plant is starting to turn yellow and die. I read that this means the potatoes are ready to harvest. Pretty soon I will be digging up my organic potatoes and enjoying some homemade potato salad!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love potatoes but I have never heard of growing them from actual seed.

It's not advisable to grow Potatoes from seed, you could end up with a variety with too much Solanine in it and end up poisoning yourself.

Your potatoes grown from the tuber will be fine though, enjoy :)

Reaction score
I've grown a calamansi (small lemon) tree from a leftover seed of the biggest calamansi fruit I've ever seen. Many prefer to buy calamansi cuttings for planting but I read that calamansi lasts longer and are more prolific if grown from seed. True enough, our calamansi tree started bearing fruits after 5 years and still growing strong and bearing much fruits at 12.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Well, the most beautiful plant I have personally had the chance to plant has been around 10 feet of Chinese Lawns, it was something which was given to me by my dad's boss, he actually brought some from China and wanted me to plant in in his house's back, it was a really nice house so he wanted the lawn to look clean and beautiful so I did all the beauty job.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
For me it was a thistle, mostly because it was the first thing that I grew. I bought a packet of seeds hoping to surprise my mother with a gift. I hid it away from her and took care of the only seed that germinated from the packet of seeds. I had no idea what it was but I found out what it was when I gave it to my mom fully grown and in flower. lol

Ask a Question