What is the coolest/most random plant you've grown yourself from seed?

Reaction score
For me, it was an avocado pit that I put in a paper towel and a ziploc bag when I was a kid. It slowly but surely turned into a plant and was on its way to becoming a tree before my mom put it in the garage during the winter for fear of bugs coming in the house with it. >.>

Reaction score
All the stuff I've grown from seeds has been pretty typical, like marigolds and herbs. The coolest thing that I grew randomly was a ginger plant that grew from a piece of ginger root from the supermarket. I've had that plant for years.
It sort of dies down in the winter and then comes back in warmer weather.

Reaction score
All the stuff I've grown from seeds has been pretty typical, like marigolds and herbs. The coolest thing that I grew randomly was a ginger plant that grew from a piece of ginger root from the supermarket. I've had that plant for years.
It sort of dies down in the winter and then comes back in warmer weather.
I just planted some ginger buds in a nice big terra cotta planter. :p

Zigs - you grew a banana? Now that's cool! The most exciting thing I've grown from a seed is my pumpkin plant, and only because I saved the seeds from pie pumpkins that I bought last fall, and I was thrilled that they actually sprouted.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It was girt, had it in a half barrel, just didn't get home in time one autumn to wrap it up before the frost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I've grown all sorts of plants from seeds but I don't think any of the plants are out of the ordinary. It's more the circumstances that make a few of them special.

The first was a clementine seed that came from a box of seedless clementines. There was only one seed in the whole box of fruit.

More recently I've been 'forced ' to plant avocado and mango seeds because they've already had roots when they were removed from the fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
It was girt, had it in a half barrel, just didn't get home in time one autumn to wrap it up before the frost.
I have had a couple of banana plants here, and even though they die down in the winter when the frost hits, they will grow back again in the spring. They only seem to die down to the roots, and underneath it is still alive, like the cannas and elephant ears do.
I have several banana plants growing out in the yard now, but for some reason they barely grew this summer. Since they are still small, I am going to pot them up and bring them in for the winter so they can keep growing. Maybe next year, I will get some bananas from them ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I once managed to grow a lemon from a seed. I gave the plant to my mother though, because I need more space for my miniature roses:D. Also, it doesn't produce any fruits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I once managed to grow a lemon from a seed. I gave the plant to my mother though, because I need more space for my miniature roses:D. Also, it doesn't produce any fruits.

My attempts at growing citrus from seed haven't produced any fruit either. I've got a lemon tree in the garden which I must have planted about ten years ago and it was doing well without ever producing any fruit. Then about two years ago I was excited to notice a flower on it and I thought it might finally get fruit. Then the flower just vanished. Later in the summer I noticed that the tree was full of woolly aphids and I asked my father to get the garden service to spray it, but he never did. My poor little tree suffered so badly from that that it had to be cut back really short and I'm not sure it will ever recover fully.

On a related note we had a fig tree spring up in our garden, obviously the result of a seed that a bird dropped. After a few unproductive years my mother decided she didn't want it there anymore, but I was unwilling to kill it, so when the garden service dug it up, I put it in a pot. That was probably four or five years ago and two days ago I noticed signs that it is finally going to produce some fruit this summer. I'm absolutely thrilled. I just hope that the hail or birds don't get them.

Reaction score
It would be one of my carnivorous plants. I've grown Venus fly traps, Pitcher Plants (Sarracenia), and sundew plants. I grew them all outside and over Winter them outside (Washington St). I have some seeds in the refrigerator right now getting them ready to plant.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Takes about 20 years to produce lemons from a seed grown citrus, most of them are grafted.

Reaction score
Takes about 20 years to produce lemons from a seed grown citrus, most of them are grafted.
well, that is something I did not know! When I finally get my big greenhouse that I plan to grow citrus in, I won't be starting them from seeds! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
20 years? Now, that explains a lot. The plant is around 10 years old, so I'll have to wait for a while longer:p. Thank you for the information!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ought to warn you that it might not flower at all :eek: Sorry

Ask a Question