Random Burnt Spots on Lawn?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a strange one, but I was wondering what the causes of burnt spots on a lawn could be? We've got a few ~20cm diameter yellow/dead patches of grass, which appeared about a month ago. I seem to remember having some in almost the exact same place last year, which is what puzzles me.

We had a lawn feeding from one of the lawn care companies today and he was also puzzled by this and thought perhaps something had been spilt and burnt the grass (but I can't think of anything that could have done this).

We don't have any pets, but we do get cats in our garden (perhaps foxes, but never seen one!) - so perhaps this could be it? It just seems strange that we've got some in an identical place - perhaps it's just a co-incidence after all.

I've taken a photo, although these were taken after the lawn care guy very kindly filled and re-seeded these areas after a feed spray.

Attachments

• burnt-lawn-patches.jpg
    burnt-lawn-patches.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 508
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Grub worms? Go out and pull the dead grass. If runners and all come loose it is root related and probably caused by grubs. If just the blades of the grass come loose it is more than likely a fungus of some sort. Perhaps your neighbors dog comes by unannounced in the dark of night.

Reaction score
I agree about the grubs or it could be a dog who is sneaking into your yard and doing its thing. Dig up the spots and dig down a few inches to see if you find any grubs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree about the grubs or it could be a dog who is sneaking into your yard and doing its thing. Dig up the spots and dig down a few inches to see if you find any grubs.
Unfortunately if it was grub worms they did their damage months ago and the damage is just now becoming appearent with springs new growth. I really think it is a crafty canine that is culprit though.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If it's in the same place, then it might be something below the surface, that's how archaeologists look for buried structures.

My Brother buried an Austin Seven in our garden, that lead to some interesting crop marks :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it's in the same place, then it might be something below the surface, that's how archaeologists look for buried structures.

My Brother buried an Austin Seven in our garden, that lead to some interesting crop marks :D
OK, I will bite. Why did your brother bury and Austin Seven in the garden

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I will bite. Why did your brother bury and Austin Seven in the garden

:D It wouldn't start, and he had nowhere else to get rid of it, this was back in the 1960's was always digging bits of it up when I was gardening

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
He's been to dinner at 11 Downing Street, don't think they'd let him into Parliament though

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hahaha, that's brilliant Zigs! Is it still there?

I may do some digging after summer to see if there's anything strange under those patches :).

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Probably is Ian :D

Best do some dowsing first, don't want to be digging up an old septic tank :D

Ask a Question