What herbs will you be planting this season?

Reaction score
I was in the dried herbs section of the supermarket yesterday and I was horrified to see how expensive cardamom is. It's freaking $12 for a little bottle.
It must be a hard herb to grow because I've never seen the plants or seeds for it at the garden center. It must be one of those rare imported herbs like saffron.

Reaction score
in the right conditions I heard that saffron is actually quite easy to grow if you have patience nd time for it lol.

Reaction score
Not a lot of love for dill? In my opinion it is one of the most rewarding things to grow, as dried dill tastes much worse than fresh dill.

I don't even like mayo but I can put dill mayo on anything.

Sadly my dill plants keep dying. :(

Reaction score
I have being thinking of giving thyme a try since this is a herb i've never grown before..i am also thinking about planting a few more pots of rosemary.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh I'm so excited about this. I am planning to plant basil, oregano, garlic, sage, dill, parsley, and spearmint. Last growing season I planted sage, basil, oregano, dill, chives, and spearmint, but the cats destroyed the chives and dill. Maybe I should plant catnip on the other side of the yard.......

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Vennybunny, dill is an annual, but it self-seeds very easily. If you have a sunny spot that you can dedicate to dill, just put in a couple of dill plants (not the fern-leaf but the regular old dill (Anethum graveolens) and harvest the fronds. It will keep coming up from the center of the plant. At some time in the plant's life it will start to set seed (the heads look like little umbrellas, and the seeds turn brown and fall off). Let the seeds fall, and the next spring you'll have tiny little dill plants all over!
Dried dill is like eating dried grass, but it does freeze well when chopped fine with just enough water added to make a slurry, and frozen in ice-cube trays. The dill cubes can be transferred to a freezer bag and pulled out when you need them.
It also makes a fine butter. Chop lots of dill very fine, add some lemon zest, and mix with a stick of butter (not margarine). Roll into a log and wrap with waxed paper, then put in a freezer bag. A tablespoon or more on boiled potatoes gives you a taste of spring in the dead of winter. Of course, the dill butter goes great on grilled fish, and isn't bad with green beans, either(y)!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am planting my first herb garden! I was SHOCKED with how many different varieties there are! I however have settled on a few to start my little adventure. I have Chives, Garlic Chives, Thyme, Fennel, Basil, and Dill.

Soaking the seeds right now and should be good to plant when I get home :) Definitely exciting!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love the sweet smell of basil. I plant it every year. I do not have a lot of space so I just do the one herb. I have wanted to try planting an herb or two for tea. I will have to read more about it before I try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have to replenish some, but I'm trying out cumin at the moment, and I'll be starting some more basil soon. I have oregano, but I rarely use it, same with the rosemary. I am hoping my bee balm and lemon balm will perform better this year, and I plan to add more sage and lavender (I want to surround the house with it to deter pests). I will probably grow cilantro as I have a lot of seeds left... I'll have to give new herbs some thought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6-7
Country
United States
This spring will be my first herb garden so I am pretty excited! I'll be doing chives, basil, mint, and oregano for sure. I would do rosemary but my husband absolutely hates it, so there is really no point. I am particularly excited for the chives and mint. I love making mint iced tea in the summer. My grandma used to make it and I love it!! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Want to try to grow cardamom, but its hard to get. green ones might be easy but black one is rare and the pod processing method make it hard to grow from seeds.

Still, will try to find some rhizome.

I would like others who have experience with one of them to share some advice regard growing and soil.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Anyone have experience growing hydroponic herbs uponics.com/hydroponic-herbs ? I'm looking to branch out from basic soil gardening. Seems like basil is the most popular herb to grow for this sort of thing.
It's easy to grow, hydroponic has only problem (I think) you have to get liquid nutrition, for potted plant you can make your own compost to feed the soil.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have planted coriander and eaten loads. Just love the aroma. Also Rocket, eaten loads. Hope to grow my ginger properly.

Ask a Question