Transplanting Herbs... some questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think I'm ready to transplant a few of my herbs into a pot. Can anyone tell me how many Dill seedlings I can put in a 6" pot as well as how many chives can be planted in their own 6" pot? I don't want to overcrowd them but I'm thinking since they don't bush out like other herbs and have more grasslike roots that several can fit in a pot together.

metal-bucket__03425.1447361110.350.350.jpg

Also when transplanting seedlings that were germinated in Jiffy Peat Pellets, is it better to remove the netting from the peat pellet and place the whole thing into the new pot or should as much of the pellet be removed from the roots as possible without damaging the roots?

41hVXm6iKPL._SX300_.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I hope someone with better knowledge of spacing can come along and help with that, but I have used Jiffy peat pots! :)

I usually let them dry out a good bit, and then water them heavily right before transplanting. That way, I can compact the peat (ever so slightly!) with my hands. It makes it easier to remove the netting and plant the pellet in the ground. Make sure you push down a little to expose some bare stem, then get the whole thing under the ground. You'll want to water them in after transplanting, also.

Maybe I'm overprotective of my plants, but peat dries very quickly, and I feel that if exposed to air, it will keep it too dry around the roots.

Definitely remove the netting!
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1397733/peat-pellet-users-you-might-want-to-look-pics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks MaryMary. I want to transplant my oregano and marjoram because the stems are still quite thin but they are getting their true leaves. I feel like putting them in some better potting soil may help them to thicken up some.

I went ahead and transplanted the Dill and Chives into their pots by removing as much of the peat pellet as I could so that I could space them out. Hopefully someone will come along that can tell me if I need to thin them out more.

Dill
GREEN_20161027_105415.jpg

Chives
GREEN_20161027_105143.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Chives: Space plants 6-12 inches apart.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/vegetables/chives/

Dill: When seedlings are 2 inches high, thin them to stand 10-12 inches apart.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/vegetables/dill/

Oregano: Once the seedlings have reached approximately 6 inches tall, the plants can be thinned down to about a foot apart.
Read more at Gardening Know How: Learn How To Grow Oregano http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/oregano/learn-how-to-grow-oregano.htm

^ ^ I was going to give them credit, but I guess it's nice they did it for me! ;)

:mad: My google-fu is balking me on the marjoram. It's apparently related to oregano, google keeps offering me marjoram and oregano sites. As near as I can figure, it's going to depend on whether you're growing "pot marjoram," or "sweet marjoram."

:) I think you're going to need bigger pots!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Figures.... I got such a good deal on these pots ;). I think my biggest issue is really that I just don't know how much a single seed will yield. Is this from a single seed or is this from years of seeds dropping and self propagating?
chive-bulbets.jpg

I don't mind thinning them down as long as I have enough to go around. Gotta have chives for my baked potatoes!

Ask a Question