What herbs will you be planting this season?

Reaction score
What are your plans for planting herbs this year? Do you put in the same ones every year or do change things up every growing season. Do you plan on trying something new this year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm thinking about planting something new, but I haven't made up my mind yet. I dream of having a chocolate peppermint herb, because I heard that it smells beautifully.
Currently, I grow basil and thyme:)

Reaction score
I live in an apartment complex now, so I don't have a big outdoor space anymore but I'm going to buy some basil in pots and peppermint, orange mint,chocolate mint and pineapple sage because I make a lot of tea out of mint. Maybe now that I don't have an actual yard, I won't have to deal with the pests that used to eat my mint plants in the last apartment.

Reaction score
I will be growing basil and dill and perhaps something else. As I use both and I like to have them fresh and available, these two are always on my list of plants to grow. We have some random herbs in the neighbours yard (we swap a bit) so I have thyme and oregano available for most of the summer. I also have to grow tomatoes to go with all the herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Chocolate mint, pineapple sage, parsley, regular sage, basil, rosemary, catnip and maybe a few others

Reaction score
I like to mix it up every year. This year I will be growing basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, mint and orange mint. I am really interested in the pineapple sage ACSAPA mentioned. I have never seen it and think it will be my new herb for this season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If you have a Home Depot close by the herb plants are on sale for $2 each til sunday. I got my pineapple sage and chocolate mint there

Reaction score
As I have a year round supply of many of the hard herbs - I usually plant all my favorite soft herbs each and every year - Italian Parsley, Chives, Greek Oregano, Majoram, several varieties of Basil and of course my favorite Mints including Chocolate Mint which I never like to be without during the summer months - as well as a few different herbs that I haven't tried before and this year I will be trying some Cinnamon Basil, Lime Basil and a Variegated Peppermint.

claudine - I do so hope that you manage to get to grow some Chocolate Mint - as even though it tastes more pepperminty than chocolatey - it really does smell absolutely heavenly with its chocolate mint aroma :D

Reaction score
I am interested in trying parsley, seeing as that's the one I use most, in fact the only other one I used at all is chive. Would it be too late to look into growing parsley. I haven't got a clue so I'm not sure, but people have indicated they plan to so I guess it must be possible.

Reaction score
Am not sure where you are or what your climate is like Hedonologist - but think I'm right in saying that no - its not too late to sow parsley - and although where I live we sow parsley twice a year - once in March/April and the again in August - as far as I know most people sow theirs in March to April :)

I would however warn you that although parsley is relatively easy to grow and self propagates easily - it does take some time to germinate - so if you are in a hurry and don't want to wait two months until you have some parsley ready for eating - your best bet may well be to purchase a young plant from your local garden store.

Reaction score
At the moment, I'm trying to grow basil, parsley, and garlic from seed. So far, the garlic is the only herb that has sprouted. :( Considering how much I like fresh basil, I'm definitely growing basil one way or another regardless if it sprouts from this batch of seeds or not. I'm debating on growing some other herbs, perhaps chives, rosemary, and lavender.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I will be planting Thyme, Oregano, Parsley, Basil, and Mint. I might expand a little but I will definitely be growing these 5.

Reaction score
I'll keep on growing the same ones I grow, because I don't really have that much time or space right now, plus growing other herbs I might not need would be a bad idea, mostly because I'm moving out soon! So I'll be jut growing basil and mint, they are not picky and I use them all the year long!

Reaction score
At the moment, I'm trying to grow basil, parsley, and garlic from seed. So far, the garlic is the only herb that has sprouted. :( Considering how much I like fresh basil, I'm definitely growing basil one way or another regardless if it sprouts from this batch of seeds or not. I'm debating on growing some other herbs, perhaps chives, rosemary, and lavender.

You should try growing mint :) That herb is super useful and so easy to grow and propagate. All you need is a small cutting, but that cutting needs to have some of the root attached to it. I think it's also possible to root a mint cutting, but I'm no expert.

Reaction score
all the same as last year, rosemary, thyme, sage (which is alreayd planted) Chives (again already planted lol) chocolate mint (again already planted and growing, aquired some lippings from a friend for this one actually) and this year i'm going to once again try oregano and try NOT to drown the poor tiny little seeds into the soil ; ;

Edit: also I have been trying to work on Stevia clippings. *I have sucessfully made basil clippings but stevia isn't working out so well anymore.

Ask a Question