Country
United Kingdom
FC5E02B4-CF5F-4551-87D5-BEDFF421591E.jpeg
I like papalo it’s Mexican

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Leeski, please describe the taste of papalo, and how it is used. I've never heard of it, and I'm fairly well versed in herbs.
I love learning about new herbs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It’s quite pungent herb it’s used in nacos and guacamole Never cook it it taste like old socks but fresh and raw it’s fab it starts with a taste like basil and coriander and gives you a tingly mouth - then more earthy like bay then after taste is tarragony really complex flavours I’m a chef and I love it with oily fish chargrilled mackeral works amazing really easy to grow loves the sun and heat but doesn’t like dry medium

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It’s quite pungent herb it’s used in nacos and guacamole Never cook it it taste like old socks but fresh and raw it’s fab it starts with a taste like basil and coriander and gives you a tingly mouth - then more earthy like bay then after taste is tarragony really complex flavours I’m a chef and I love it with oily fish chargrilled mackeral works amazing really easy to grow loves the sun and heat but doesn’t like dry medium

Sounds delicious! Don't think I've seen it before :)

Galadhwen

San Francisco Bay Area (zone 10a)
Reaction score
Country
United States
Lemon balm all the way for me. It's a member of the mint family and tastes like the piney lovechild of lemon, oregano, and sage. Great fresh or lightly cooked. I enjoy it in sandwiches with a mild cheese like havarti, or fried with eggs & mozzerella & garlic salt. I recently tried it in a basil pesto & it didn't really do much for it--but then it was in a flowering cycle, which diminishes the pop of the flavor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, I love the Vietnamese Pho with the available add in aromatic vegetables and herbs, especially lots of the Thai basil. A little fresh basil sprinkled on a margherita pizza is a wonderful addition. One place here in my town used to serve a Bacon, Lettuce and tomato sandwich with fresh basil available, plus some good balsamic vinegar and fresh mozzarella. Wow, it was delicious.

Basil isn’t the only herb I wish was more readily available as an add in. Fresh parsley is great on so many things like a rich or creamy pasta dish such as Carbonara. A little extra parsley on the side with many dishes wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all. Fresh crushed Spearmint greatly improves a Moscow Mule. An available gremolata made with parsley or fresh rosemary compliments heavy and rich braised meat dishes.

I grow some herbs and use them fresh almost daily. Last year, I grew Thai, sweet, and a purple basil. We ended up liking the Purple basil the most with caprese salad. Our sweet basil became too pungent and spicy with the hot weather. This year, I put in an Italian Basil, Cardinal Basil, and a Pesto Perpetuo variety. The plan is to use them with fresh tomatoes from the garden.

Ask a Question