What herb or herb variety do you grow that you wished restaurants would use

Reaction score
I love this question because I may grab a subway sandwich and wish I had some basil leaves to put in it.

Now basil is one of the most common herbs, but has tons of varieties of it. During it's 'season', I wish places had it as a side condiment or used it like an extra. Would it not be fun to be in a Subway, again, my example, and next to the fresh spinach and fresh lettuce there were basil leaves as an option too. What a dream!

I do know that in some places, I went to a pho place and there were basil leaves and other herbs that went with it. I love that idea. They compliment. But we don't have that locally, nor with any other dishes. or restaurants. Well actually, now that I put the thread out, I thought of one, a fast food mexican place has out fresh cilantro.

Actually, when I eat out, I thought it may be a pretty common thing for another gardener to think /wish also. For instance, I wish the place that cooked my spaghetti had lemon basil for just that perfect bite, or Cuban oregano, or at least Greek oregano.

Now of course, we eat at the places we like for a variety of reasons, and don't expect them to cook like we do, or we would not eat there. That wasn't the question or the thinking. The question was, in a perfect world, what restaurant would offer the herb or the variety of herb that you would like?

Seems like I have used basil and oregano varieties, for examples, but I also crave the taste of other herbs since I grow them.

Any takers?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Basil is my FAVOURITE! We put leaves inn fresh salad, love to make Basil mayo. In fact I think Basil should be required in all kitchens!! :) My wife and I became so hooked on it that we bought an indoor grow kit JUST for Basil during the winter months. Just the smell of it when its picked gets me hungry!

Reaction score
Basil, cilantro and mint. I love those 3 and wish they'd use those 3 much more. There are times when I am eating pasta or having a salad and wish it had some basil! I love chicken salad with basil!

Reaction score
Basil, Cilantro and Tyme for me, but I am sure most places use these are they are super common. Also a big fan of rosemary.

Reaction score
At one restaurant I like to eat at, they make a sandwich with fresh mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, basil, and a pesto sauce. I love eating this sandwich in the summertime. It is super good and refreshing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mostly grow the traditional herbs: basil, cilantro, mint, rosemary and parsley. These are the ones I use most and I know they are commonly found in most restaurants. There aren’t many other herbs I would want to grow as these are the ones I use in my cooking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The only herb I know is mint. Of course, I have seen some other herbs and we even used to have basil but I am not well-versed with them. With mint, I had been seeing that since I was a girl whenever we would eat in classy restaurants. The main use of mint for me is the after dinner chewing to neutralize the odor of food that I had eaten. It is also a good decoration for the plate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My favorite herbs are basil, thyme and mint and I wish there were more places that use them. For example, I'd love to order baked potatoes with fresh basil leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love many different herbs and many restaurants are already using them to season and flavored their cooking. If there isn't one that they don't use more is lemon grass and maybe chive.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I grow turmeric. Turmeric can be used as spices as well as a herb. Turmeric is useful in various conditions such as cough, cold, cuts, burns etc. Turmeric is also said to be very beneficial in cancer because of its cancer resistant quality. Turmeric can also used as food color because of its bright yellow color. I wish restaurants used turmeric instead of food color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I like many herbs, but i would like to see chives used more, i love buttery mashed potato with chives, or some cream cheese with chives. I use tumeric (haldi) as a spice, and as mentioned above it has many health benefits and can relieve everything from the common cold to arthritis.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I, too, love herbs and grow a lot of them. Basil, thyme, Mexican oregano and the Italian also, marjoram, sage, both onion and garlic chives, borage, a small pot of mint, and all the flat-leaf Italian parsley I can tuck into odd spaces in the gardens.
I freeze some herbs, dry others, and make a lot of tomato-basil butter to use as pasta sauce. I'm in love with having the taste of herbs enhancing food!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
My favorite is nigella seeds! Nice flavor in my stews and curries

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Recall traveling pacific coast line up Oregon, stopped in Tillamok , where there is cheese made and a Brie factory with a lunch place. they did not have simple "brie with olive oil and basil sandwich on the menu. I had to ask them to make me one. they did. but yes, answer is basil.

Ask a Question