What does tilling the soil mean?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:confused:
Thank you, @Chuck, for making me go and learn things!! :geek: :D

Ok, so I broke out the google-fu, and learned about "estivation," which is the earthworm form of hibernation.

No, I wouldn't think so... Lots of animals are moved to migrate when conditions are no longer favorable. ;)
estivation...............It makes sense, I guess. The worm digs down to the bedrock 3 feet down, curls up into a ball, dehydrates into a little round mummy and then 3 years later when it rains again re-hydrates into what he used to be. Kind of like dehydrated potatoes. Put them into water and they puff right up again. I don't know...........something just doesn't seem right:confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
But, do your worms disappear at times, sometimes for a long time and then all of a sudden reappear? Our worms here are of two types. The most common is red wigglers and the other the large earthworms.
guess I have to answer, I don't have much "dry soil" here. and I think they find some safe place for the winter. we certainly have enough big fat ones often as I am digging along though the spring, summer, fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Here some men use to refer to tilling as plowing. They called a rototiller a plow.

Ask a Question