What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
No jobs until Tuesday. Hopefully, we'll get a few dry days.
At the moment, we've got a bit of standing water on the patio in front of the French windows in the corner next to the left-hand side bed.
When I laid this patio I made falls to the sides of a couple of inches. There's a low, two brick high wall on the esdges of the patio on both sides to contain the borders, with several one inch holes in the bottom for drainage. But the ground must be so saturated, to prevent this happening at the moment.
It's surprising, as we're on the flood plain of the Mersey which has alluvial soil, so quite sandy, so in normal times it drains quickly. But that's the subsoil, over time the soil in the borders will have become less sandy.
It will have gone by tomorrow if there's no more rain. Fortunately, the new "rose patio," is completely dry, as that sits on 20 tonnes of fine eco friendly hardcorer, which will absorb a lot of water. I checked this by putting a cane down the hole I have in the base of the fountain's plinth. It's sitting on what was the koi pool's pump sump, it's nearly 3ft deep and there's no water in it. So all the rain has gone through the hardcore and the holes I drilled in the concrete screed base of the pool five feet below. You can just about see the bung in the hole.

I may refill the fountain if there's no danger of it icing up over New Year.

P1040740.JPG

I'm going to give the wisteria's their winter prune on Tuesday. I'll also prune off the dead wood on the two big acer palmatums as I do each year.

I've already planted out some cyclamen given to my wife as Christmas presents by friends. They are happier planted out in the garden rather than living in pots indoors.
These roses are next, they need some attention, I'll put them in bigger pots and for now put them in the shed next to the window.

P1040745.JPG

I put new jars of peanut butter bird food in the two feeders, they only last about three weeks, before the birds empty them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
They're lovely roses Sean.

Thanks for that.

As I'm going to risk going to golf tomorrow, not having played for over a week, the last job was to clean my golf shoes and change the wheels on my leccy golf trolley for "winter wheels." They just snap on and off.

P1040746.JPG

They are half as wide again as the standard wheels which have no tread.
These wide wheels are excellent for getting a grip on soft ground, but are a right pain to clean. You have to take them off and put them in a bucket of hot water and go at them with a bottle brush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It's all quite civilised these days.
On my trolley, there's a bracket on the left for a drinks or thermos holder,
To the right is a score card "desk" with a protective cover and it also has a facility to hold a couple of spare balls and some tees.
In the middle is an umbrella holder.
Their 30v lithium batteries these days are quite small and weigh no more than a bag of sugar. They recharge in a couple of hours.

I also have a detachable seat that fits into as bracket on the side of the trolley chassis. A bit like a shooting stick. The "stick" is spring loaded so if you sit on it the base rests on the ground so the trolley doesn't have to support your weight. There's room in a box under the seat for more balls, more tees and a sandwich or some fruit if you choose.

I don't use it much, only to make a point, you can sit on it and slouch back against the top of your golf bag, if people in front of us are taking too long over their shots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Just fed the birds and squirrel and took these photographs.

To take a photo of anything on the patio without frightening it off, I have to stand here in the lounge and set my camera on "zoom," then try to hold it still.

It's snowing!

P1040763.JPG

This is "Winnie the Wagtail" she spends a lot of time standing on the birdbath, but is also up and down collecting food that other birds drop on the patio, she doesn't go into the feeders.

P1040761.JPG

P1040758.JPG

This is Max eating his kibbled nuts. He's very timid, he can see me. If I walk through the door in the fence onto the patio, he's off. Up on to the side fence and runs along the length of it and out of the garden, though we've never done anything to frighten him.

P1040768.JPG

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just fed the birds and squirrel and took these photographs.

To take a photo of anything on the patio without frightening it off, I have to stand here in the lounge and set my camera on "zoom," then try to hold it still.

It's snowing!

View attachment 74427

This is "Winnie the Wagtail" she spends a lot of time standing on the birdbath, but is also up and down collecting food that other birds drop on the patio, she doesn't go into the feeders.

View attachment 74429

View attachment 74428

This is Max eating his kibbled nuts. He's very timid, he can see me. If I walk through the door in the fence onto the patio, he's off. Up on to the side fence and runs along the length of it and out of the garden, though we've never done anything to frighten him.

View attachment 74430
Lovely pics, squirrels are like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely pics, squirrels are like that.

Actually I mentioned Max as being very timid, because in the past, we've experienced a female who was just the opposite. If there were no nuts in the feeder she'd come to the doors of the French windows, stand up on her back legs and look in.

On one occasion my wife was going to put more nuts out and very slowly opened the right-hand door so as not to frighten her and the squirrel used a paw to "help" her open it, true!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Sowed some lupin seeds that i got off my plants, put them in a prpergater in the concervatory they were in their pods in the garage, hope to get some but not sure if they'll be true to type but they'll be nice anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Spent an hour in the garden, pruned one of the wisterias...just five more to go.

I prune quite a bit in the Autumn, but down again to between two and four buds about now.

P1040777.JPG

P1040776.JPG

I pruned this much dead wood off the smaller of our two acer palmatums.

P1040774.JPG

It's necessary every year, it's of no concern, it's being replaced as usual by lots of new growth at the top.

P1040779.JPG

This one's still to be seen to. Looking very sorry for itself at the moment, but it "scrubs up well."

P1040778.JPG

Our mimosa in the big tub on the patio is a bit late this year as it's so cold, but it's doing its best.

It'll get a bit of a prune once it's flowered.

P1040780.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is the time of year when I collect tons of leaves and spread all around my yard -- I now have zero grass.

As I was spreading leaves/mulch I found two Monarch caterpillars on some of my milkweed plants; I was thinking about just letting them take their chances with the cold front coming over the next couple of days.

I ended up putting a tomato cage around the plants so I could cover them up at night....probably should've just let nature take its course, but broke down and covered them.

1-08-2021.JPG
1-08-2021-2.JPG

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing outside the ground is frozen again, but the lupin seeds have germinated in the propagator in the concervatory, it was only last Wednesday that I sowed them.

Ask a Question