What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Cut the old leaves off the hellebores in front garden and sprinkled wood ash around the fruit plants in the back garden.
noted how perky they are today, the hellebores. have got to get more. most mine have the dead leaves under good leaves. have not done that yet, maybe March.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Rain is beating on the windows and drumming on the skylight. Divided a newly purchased aglaonema that was obviously 2 plants newly potted. Unpacked the shipment of Worm castings. Watered, fertilized and maintainEd houseplants. Then I took a nap:sleep:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Sowed some chilli seeds, scorpion, armagedon,komono dragon and carolina reaper.
Pricked out 15 lupin seedlings into cell trays.
20210116_125606.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Spent a couple of hours in the garden, yesterday and today.
Finished pruning the rest of the wisterias and swept up all the bits I cut off. Then collected a lot of dead leaves from the borders. I drag them down to the front then fill big buckets with them.
Then I mowed both lawns. Not a lot of grass gets cut but the big fan behind the blade on my Flymo picks up a lot of debris. Then used my garden vac to blow the remaining leaves to the back of the borders to rot down. Looking quite tidy now.
I've still the "frog pond" to empty and re-fill. I'll pour the contents on the back of the borders, as it'll be a "stew" of fallen leaves, this will be slightly acidic which the azaleas and rhodos like.

All the roses are showing signs of growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The rain continues, I'm getting pools of water in two corners of the patio where it's supposed to run off. I suspect the drain holes I drilled at the bottom of the low curtilage walls are blocked. If it ever stops raining I'll poke a cane through them which should clear it as the water doesn't pool anywhere else in the garden. So no big deal.

Despite the rain I went out and fed the birds and the squirrel. I also walked down to the tea-house to check the lamps I keep in the bottom of my jukeboxes as heaters hadn't gone out. To my dismay, I saw some water dripping onto the floor. I thought; "That's all I need a leak in the 33 year-old roof!" Then I realised it was just the water dripping off the wide brim of my waterproof hat ! The building is as sound as a bell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
In a dry spell, I rodded out the several drain holes in the patio's low curtilage walls. In the two corners there was about 3" of water. But it completely cleared in a couple of hours despite a bit more rain.

Ask a Question