What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
What are hellebores?
I managed to complete the last raised bed frame (#6), added 50/50 native dirt and Dyno Lite compost. This will be my watermelon bed. Planted the last of my starts from seed plants in bed # 5. Now to relax a little.
Probably easier if you google for a picture. and then a full description will come up also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Not a lot today.
I started on the re-pointing of the small patio behind the shed.
It's been a pain for years. The roots of next door's trees which are close to the fence, spread under it looking for water as they don't water their garden. Over the years they've caused, "heave," not a lot but enough ,to raise the patio a bit which will disturb the mortar.
I had to dig out any cracked mortar before attempting to re-point it. It's another pain mixing mortar in a bucket, I have to add some yellow dye and plasticiser. I didn't get very far today, just a couple of square yards as I ran out of plasticiser. I thought I had more left after doing the main patio than I had. So I had to go to Sainsbury's Homebase for some. They sell cement, but not plasticiser. Useless store!
I went to Tool Station. The young man behind the counter looked blank, but searched his computer and found that they had it.
Anyway, it was gone 3.00pm, so I called it a day...well an afternoon, as I didn't start until after lunch.

If it doesn't rain, I'll carry on tomorrow.

I'm watching the sport on TV.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Not a lot today.
I started on the re-pointing of the small patio behind the shed.
It's been a pain for years. The roots of next door's trees which are close to the fence, spread under it looking for water as they don't water their garden. Over the years they've caused, "heave," not a lot but enough ,to raise the patio a bit which will disturb the mortar.
I had to dig out any cracked mortar before attempting to re-point it. It's another pain mixing mortar in a bucket, I have to add some yellow dye and plasticiser. I didn't get very far today, just a couple of square yards as I ran out of plasticiser. I thought I had more left after doing the main patio than I had. So I had to go to Sainsbury's Homebase for some. They sell cement, but not plasticiser. Useless store!
I went to Tool Station. The young man behind the counter looked blank, but searched his computer and found that they had it.
Anyway, it was gone 3.00pm, so I called it a day...well an afternoon, as I didn't start until after lunch.

If it doesn't rain, I'll carry on tomorrow.

I'm watching the sport on TV.
There are products that will remove those root and they won't come back. I have in my shop a product called "Remedy:" It will kill the root that is causing you problems. You mix it with diesel and apply it around the edge of the patio area. Careful with it though, Only takes a little.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My dog digs! I don't mind except when she digs up the rose bushes or garden. I put a fence around the garden and cut a bull panel to fit the rose bed. I cut holes and turned the spines down to anchor and buried it about 3 " deep. What is your remedy for a digging dog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Can't do any more patio re-pointing as it is starting to rain, so I'm watching the London Marathon on TV. There's golf, road cycling, football, cricket and tennis, from which to choose later.

I did have a check round.
It's going to be a bumper year for wisteria blooms.
The worst performer has always been the pink one under the kitchen rear window that I trained to grow over the fence and along the side of the house. It is really only this bit that gets a reasonable amount of sun. It took eight years before we got any blooms.
This was it in 2005, it had only reached as far as the kitchen side window. This up to now, has been its best performance.

P1050917.JPG

I continued to let it grow until it reached the front corner of the house, then pinched it out a couple of years ago. So it's been "bulking itself up" instead.

P1010159.JPG

There were no blooms last year.

My patience has been rewarded, it has produced a lot of blooms this year.

P1010158.JPG

These are over the kitchen side window.

P1010161.JPG

I can't tell if there will be many at the far end as due to the fact that they must be fifty feet away from the roots so the blooms or foliage is only starting to appear.

No problems with the others.

P1010163.JPG

P1010164.JPG

P1010165.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My dog digs! I don't mind except when she digs up the rose bushes or garden. I put a fence around the garden and cut a bull panel to fit the rose bed. I cut holes and turned the spines down to anchor and buried it about 3 " deep. What is your remedy for a digging dog?
We used to have GSD's one at a time. And I have several "flower/shrub/plant" beds. We taught our guys not to go into the garden beds. So we never had issues with digging, or running through garden beds. You would actually see them walking totally around the bed to get to the other side.
One time, the cutest thing, I was watching our guy Thompson from inside the house. He loved the sprinkler. So sometime I would set it up in the middle of the lawn and he'd run through it all happy. But in this story, I had put the sprinkler in the garden bed, about a foot from the edge of the bed, so the bed would get some water. There he was, standing looking at the sprinkler, and he on his own put his two paws just at the line of the bed, reached over to the sprinkler, picked it up and back it over to the lawn area and proceeded to play with it. Yep, he did it. I did not yell at him. The thought process for that was amazing. what a good boy he was. Miss my guy.

In general, we have 3 acres and boys know to not leave the property, So they have plenty of room to walk about etc. And when they are out we would be out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What a beautiful dog ! Anna Bella is a recue dog of undiscernible blood line. WE love her just like she was our child. She makes mistakes , sure, but then she is a little cuddle buddy.
Today is Sunday and I'm taking the day off. Haven't had much growth yet but It's still a long season ahead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius that's amazing what your Thompson did, can get one like that sometimes.
We worked with him daily, and many hours on weekends, he would travel in my car on most my errands going into stores etc. We got obedience trophies on him. Even a simple walk at heel was a training session. He would also help me with laundry, I played the accidental drop the sock, "help me pick it up" game, he just loved it. Got him to carry the newspaper down the drive for me. We did find it games. He knew the names of every toy, and could go get which one you asked him to get. Its all about keeping them in check and guiding them with positive reinforcement. He loved it. Stupid cancer got him at only 9 years old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My Bear (black lab) died at 15 y o. Baby (yellow lab) died just 9 months later at 12. They were inseparable. Two of the greatest dogs I've ever had. I miss them so.
I pulled weeds in the garden. Tending to the humming bird feeders this morning. I have three set up and the birds just swarm all over them. I also have 6 rose bushes I recently planted that I need to cover with mulch.

Ask a Question