What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cleaned all feeders today . Going to fill with the sugar/water now. I saw three doing the territorial thing at the feeders this morning. They seemed small with black throats. Not the ruby throated variety..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius I did similar obedience with my dogs and got trophies, it's keeping their minds active.

It's been raining today so nothing in the garden, but pricked out the cosmos seedlings and a bit of watering.
Yes, a smart dog needs to be challenged. a waste if not. they can do so much.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Spreading manure compost in the walkways of my garden is an annual chore that I partially completed today before rain chased me inside. I still have another 6 walkways to cover to complete the task. With this compost in place, there will be only minimal weeding and no tilling required for the remainder of this growing period and the next one as well.

I generally harvest two crops in each raised row followed by two cover crops (one in summer and one in winter) before starting again with a different rotation on crops and covers.

Together the compost and cover crops provide a soil bed with "No NPK required" completely organically. The cows that produce the compost generate a positive cash flow while my only costs are in seed for the crops and the cover crops. I save most of my crop seed but haven't yet figured out how to efficiently save cover crop seeds...but other than that my system is totally self-sustaining and organic.

I'm very happy with the state of my garden.

garden prep.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I use what you said. They actually seemed to prefer it over the store bought red stuff that contains corn syrup and it is a whole bunch cheaper too. I don't boil my water but it takes 15-20 minutes for the sugar to dissolve.
I have a large clear jar that I keep the mixture in , in the fridge, as I change the outside very often, I only put maybe a cup of the sugar water in every change. I just let the water come to a boil .

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I wasn't in the garden but transplanted some tomatoes into bigger pots. Also went shopping and picked up some more pots and soil that was on sale. Basically got stuff I don't really need this year lol. I do have to remember to get some bone meal for my tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It was a golf day today. I was going to do some more path re-pointing when I got home, but I decided against it as it is going to rain in the morning.
I checked on the "lollypop acer " in the front garden. Despite some pretty severe pruning during the winter, the usual abundant growth is appearing.

P1010181.JPG

Lots of blooms will be on it again this year they'll grow to three times this size. But they will be hard to see as they are pale green, like the pink leaves behind it.

P1010182.JPG

Ask a Question