What did you do in your garden today?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing today again the ground is still frozen, looks like I've lost all of my wallflowers because of it. If i have not going to do them again I put so much money and effort into it, it's not worth it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is the time of year when I collect tons of leaves and spread all around my yard -- I now have zero grass.

As I was spreading leaves/mulch I found two Monarch caterpillars on some of my milkweed plants; I was thinking about just letting them take their chances with the cold front coming over the next couple of days.

I ended up putting a tomato cage around the plants so I could cover them up at night....probably should've just let nature take its course, but broke down and covered them.

View attachment 74550View attachment 74551

Update on two of the caterpillars pictured on 08 Jan. One walked off and the other climbed on a tomato cage and formed into the J-shape on the morning of 26 Jan and by the late afternoon it had formed into a chrysalis. I brought him into the house a couple days later, because of some freeze warnings and taped him to a cabinet above the kitchen sink.

Today, I noticed that the chrysalis was very black and I could see a wing inside the translucent chrysalis. I was thinking that it would emerge in the next day or two, so I took it outside and attached it to a ladder. Not more than 20-minutes later, it emerged; unfortunately I was not there to film it.
RSCN2906.JPG
DSCN2930.JPG
DSCN2953.JPG
RSCN2962.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Today I planned out where to plant each veggie and when to plant it. I realized there are a few veggies I need to get started indoors. I also rounded up all of my old seeds and figured out which new seeds to buy. I'm excited to get started! I think I will do raised beds this year. Had a lot of trouble with slugs last year. I'm thinking if I build raised beds and surround them with gravel, that might keep the slugs at bay!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
that might keep the slugs at bay!
copper piping should keep slugs out, put it around the top. they could get in under ground. Before you plant use some nemotodes for slugs on the soil to kill them, that way there shouldn't be any in before you plant and they can't get in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I pulled out all the stops today as it was much warmer..

Well.... I turned the water back on for the various supplies in the garden. I also refilled the fountain and checked it still turned on from one of the switches behind the lounge curtains. Then turned it off again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
copper piping should keep slugs out, put it around the top. they could get in under ground. Before you plant use some nemotodes for slugs on the soil to kill them, that way there shouldn't be any in before you plant and they can't get in.
Thanks! I love your ideas!

Ask a Question