Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Oooo, thank you Colin :)
A dairy intolerance would be a big shock for me.....I live on cheese, butter, milk, cream (cornish clotted of course) . A while back I was persuaded to have a cholesterol check by some friends of mine because of my dairy intake. Came back as 3.1 which is pretty good and I took it as a green light to carry on consuming dairy. (y)
That's great news, hubby has a low cholesterol about the same. They said it was all the walking the boys. I had one done and it was a bit high. They told me to take more exercise. I do the same amount as hubby. I'm not worried about it.:)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Verdun. (y)

I'm now very warm indeed after a session digging in spite of the perishing weather.

I've now run into problems with the Microsoft Office 2016 I bought cheaply through eBay; when I try to enter the code Microsoft keep rejecting it saying it's overused? I've now emailed the eBay seller requesting a code (Key) that will be accepted by Microsoft or please refund in full? Less than £6 involved and PayPal guarantee so I'll give the seller a chance; the seller has a good score on eBay so fingers crossed; I've ended up with a free 28 day trial only which I don't want. :(

Yorkshire and Humber
Forecast Summary
  • Today
    Sunny spells after frosty start, but wintry showers spreading westwards during the day, with some snow accumulations, mainly over hills. A biting northerly wind with local coastal gales developing.

• Tonight
    Clear spells in places but generally cold and cloudy with further wintry showers, some heavy with further accumulations, especially over the Pennines. Strongest winds near coasts.
I do love how The Pennines get mentioned for such presents. So what's new with the biting northerly wind; Gale and Blackie adopted me years ago; Gale is constantly trying to blow me over whilst Blackie ensures dust is never a problem. Who cares about a weather forecast here in the UK; I don't and just look out of the window; if its fine I head into the garden if its pouring with rain I head into the workshop; over the last week or so widespread frost has been forecast and last night they finally got it right. :mad::LOL:

The best solution is to simply get stuck in when possible. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, Logan! Walking is good for health .. No wonder your mother in law thanked you for that..

Colin: Whatever you do, don't overdo it and take your time to enjoy yourself. Make sure you are careful when the slope is slippery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Agree @Colin , the only time that I might look at the forecast is come early spring when thinking about hardening off my seedlings(y)..... wouldn't want frost to ruin all my efforts:)

I am a great believer that walking can cure most ills! I have arthritis is a fair few joints now but my feet were the only joints that I agreed to have surgery on..... couldn't survive without be able to enjoy our walks......good for the body ,mind and soul!:)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your concern alp; (y) Yes I need to be very careful especially because our garden is wet so much of the time; it's a mixed blessing to have such a steeply sloping garden; we'll never be flooded and it's lovely to look out of our kitchen window up the garden with its mature trees and bushes attracting lots of wildlife; it's so difficult to work in the garden though; standing upright stresses all my joints and if I put anything on the ground it wants to disappear to the valley bottom; standing a mug of tea in the garden is a challenge.

Thanks Upsy Daisy; I'm sorry to learn you're troubled with arthritis which is so common here in the UK. I too like to walk but I've given up walking locally because of all the hills; it's just too much like work and as working in our gardens walking stresses all my joints; I can only walk 100 yards each way along our street before hitting a steep hill; I used to walk up into the village to the post office then to our local store and back home a walk of about 3 miles; by the time I arrived home I was sweating and worn out for the day; I think I get enough exercise though working in the gardens.

I wonder what's in store for many of our modern kids who sit at the keyboard or watching the TV becoming obese because they tend to eat more than they need?

It's just above freezing here and as normal everything outside is soaking wet.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to read about your ailments @Colin ......it does seem a major problem that accompanies getting older over here doesn't it......., it's the dampness that effects my joints more that anything else really........and being in the UK there's not much we can do eliminate that!:D:ROFLMAO:

You take care now :)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your kind wishes Upsy Daisy.

Yes my constant companions Blackie and Gale have lots to answer to; it's never totally calm here on the valley and we suffer from so much rain; it might seem a joke when I bang on about Blackie and Gale but it is far from a joke because both these affect our lives in so many ways; I often say nine months winter and three months bad weather each year; you live here in the UK Upsy Daisy; am I joking? Arthritis ruins lives and can be excruciatingly painful especially if accompanied by lumbago; you've certainly got my deepest sympathies Upsy Daisy because this cold wet weather will be playing you up badly; good on you for not giving up. (y)

One thing I can't miss whilst visiting our local post office are the pensioners who compare their medication; it makes me feel old and is so depressing but then I don't suffer their ailments; Bron finds high strength cod liver oil capsules and extra strength peppermint capsules help her both these bought at Holland & Barrett. What's happening; I'm now discussing medication too? (y) ;)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I take cod liver oil too....seems to help.
Arthritis runs in our family...I was diagnosed when I was 23 and my younger brother was only 18!. He is really bad ,had almost every joint replaced back in his younger days but now in his 50's there is not much left to be done , he was registered disabled about 20 yrs ago and hasn't be able to work, luckily we are all nearby for him and do all we can to keep him going(y)

You and Bron take care now:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Colin - Crohn's Disease is horrible. I am so happy you found a way to have some control over it. I developed Colitis a few years back out of the blue. The Doctor had me on all kinds of medications, but nothing seemed to help much. The only thing that kept it somewhat in check, was a diet of very bland food. My life came to a halt. Making plans or going out almost became non-existent, because everything had to be planned around the nearest bathroom. I started doing my own research and found out that most people who develop Colitis usually develop it as a teenager/early 20's or in late middle age. And, of those who develop it in late middle age, an overwhelming amount of them are ex-smokers. Well, my symptoms started shortly after I quit smoking. With no medical help, I decided to try an experiment. Even though I had been off cigarettes for over three years, I started smoking 3 cigarettes a day; not much change. It was when I upped it to 5-6 cigarettes a day, my symptoms vanished after a few days. I stopped smoking again, and the symptoms returned after a few days. I started smoking again, and the symptoms vanished again! From my research, I found that something in the cigarettes (not nicotine) inhibited the production of an enzyme that is thought to play a big part in Colitis. Of course, I have had to take a lot of heat from some people who say, "Oh, so instead of some random disease, you'll die of lung cancer!" My answer to them is, "At least I won't die sitting on the toilet!". :rolleyes: I wish the medical profession would do more testing to extract whatever it is in cigarettes that has this effect. The biggest problem is keeping my cigarettes to 5-6 a day.

Yesterday, I installed 2 - 16 foot strips of 3/4" PVC piping with U-Clamps midway up the roof of my greenhouse. I am going to attach leftover greenhouse film with clamps made especially for attaching film to hoop frames. The will effectively lower the ceiling about 3 feet and help with retaining more heat lower in the greenhouse. I ordered the clips from Amazon. They should arrive tomorrow. I can also use the pipes to hang shade cloth when needed. I will have to find another way to hold the cold frame tops open since the chain hangs from the ceiling now.

45-Dec_01.jpg

46-Dec_01.jpg

The clips:
9128oaHCGgL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks MoonShadows. I'm pleased you too have found something that helps you; neither Bron nor I smoke and we never touch alcohol but if smoking helps you then at least you'll hopefully die in comfort rather than sitting on a toilet. (y)

I had the Crohn's operation in 1982 and whilst I was in the theatre they removed a "mass" and did the right thing in removing my appendix all in one go. Not the best of times with nothing but problems in our lives from so called friends and terrible family also I needed to get back to work as quickly as I could in order to meet the bills.

The day after the operation I amazed the doctor on the ward because I was shakily back on my feet hooked up to all kinds of tubes but I took a few steps. One night in the early hours the ward was disturbed by a commotion; a guy had been admitted with appendicitis which of course is very painful; the following night I was very slowly heading to the toilet dragging the big stand and all the tubes along with me passing this guy's bed who was moaning and groaning; I spoke to him and he told me about having his appendix removed; I showed him my battle scars and all the tubing saying yes it does smart a bit; strange how quiet he became after this? These days apart from occasional pain and being dashed into hospital in July 2016 as an emergency doubled over in agony I feel pretty well indeed and just get on with what I want to do. Bron is my rock and as long as Bron is with me I can stand anything.

There's always lots of research being carried out but this appears to be all it is; research without curing much at all; the number of times a breakthrough is announced then it all goes quiet again; the NHS here in the UK are fire fighting rather than sorting the real problems out.

If I avoid dairy products I'm OK but I have to be very careful indeed.

Well done with your greenhouse mods MoonShadows; every little helps. ;)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It's amazing how we accept aches, pains and diseases as we grow older. When we're young, hopefully, we know nothing or very little of it. We're invincible; we're going to live forever! As we begin to age, we deny, excuse or explain them away. We are in our prime; the best days of our lives! As we get to the point where there is more sand in the bottom of the hour glass than the top, we accept them and move on to what really matters in life...which is life itself!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Well said MoonShadows.(y)

Why can't we have retirement whilst we're young and fit enough to enjoy it?

I think age brings contentment; hormones have settled down; chasing guys or gals has been sorted; mortgage paid off; pension/s guaranteed; who cares what we look like; not being told what to do; no grafting for a pittance; training courses and seminars over with; no phones or pagers to pester us; in short peace at last. Whoopee just Gale and Blackie left to torment me. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Whoopee just Gale and Blackie left to torment me. :)

Just ignore these pests.. Treat them as air! Oops! What did I just say? I complain about the foul and toxic fumes non-stop. Yesterday and today have been a respite. Good work, @MoonShadows !

Didn't do much in the garden, but tidy up some houseplants and get rid of the dead mums. They all die on me. Won't buy them again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mostly sunny today......feeling quite warm. Cut front lawn and back. Never really put the mower away for winter but the smell of new mown grass is always good :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Will use my lawnmower to shred all the leaves I have picked up outside the Baptist Church when there is sufficient light in the morning.

Ask a Question