What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
More work in the greenhouse today. I attached two bars between the side walls to attach chains to hold the cold frames open when necessary....I had them attached to the roof trusses, but they will get covered when I put up the ceiling cover. I also finished stuffing felt insulation between the frame and foundation. I also finished laying the slates in the middle walkway. Getting there little by little.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I watered the broccoli, garlic, and green beans, and picked a few beans. I had help, and a "taster". Timi the cat likes green beans--not the ones on the plant, but the ones I have in the basket.. She looked them over, got the biggest out, and ate it! Good heavens, we have a vegan cat!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At 5 this morning I weeded and mulched whole veg patch and transplanted a dozen large perennials. Also dug up a large berberis I had planned to do for quite a while. Had to do all this with car lights on too; of course it was dark and pouring with rain too :(.

When I finished all my neighbours, friends and family were clapping, cheering and congratulating me (y)

Then I woke up......
Silleeee me ! :whistle:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've enjoyed an hour in the garden this morning with the squirrels and birds keeping me company; I'm sulking because I'm not used to being in the garden without being blown around or rained on; I've a feeling though Gale and Blackie are planning my demise between them next time I go out?

I'm still digging and given the size of our garden I think I'll be digging for a lot longer; this morning I started to dig in the middle of the garden with the intention of forming two paths; it's very hard graft though with nothing but grass; moss and a mass of roots to get through; I can only dig in this area to about 2" deep; just enough to turn over the top layer. I aim to make flower/shrub beds and do lots of mulching; I'm keen to dig over as much grass as I can before winter really bites but given how cold it is I might have an uphill struggle in an uphill garden but I'm stubborn. Bron likes how its shaping up so I'm happy. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00121.JPG
DSC00122.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Colin, all worth it. As Moonshadow said, "little by little" :)
Alp, yep! Always dreaming ;)
Treated to free lunch today..........amazing how much better food tastes when you dont put your hand in your pocket:whistle:
Mild here today.
Will order my veg seeds later.......another psychosomatic moment when my seed order arrives; spring somehow comes so much earlier then;)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks MoonShadows. I'm not sure about taking it easy; I just work myself to a standstill then need recharging before doing it all again; but I do agree with your sentiment because I seem to need recharging more often these days; perhaps I need converting to Li-ion battery with a quick charger? (y) It doesn't take long to take a few pictures and I've been doing this for many years allowing me to keep track of all the jobs and projects I do so I've now got thousands of pictures on file.

Thanks Verdun; how sad that Blackie is now invading your dreams? :D Yes little by little and eventually the job gets done at least I'm already ahead of most tradespeople these days because I don't have a mobile phone in my hand so this allows me to use both hands on the job. I've not had a free lunch today but I've just scoffed two squares of 85% dark chocolate and a small piece of Fry's Chocolate Cream bar. I've just used up a million calories so need to put something back. :)

I've already bought some seeds but I think I'll be buying more; weeks ago I sowed a packet of Ajuga seeds but not one has popped its head up; should I have taken the seeds out of the packet? :( I've now given up on these and dumped the compost on the freshly dug soil; it would be funny if the seeds now take?

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Treated to free lunch today..........amazing how much better food tastes when you dont put your hand in your pocket:whistle:

Stop bragging .. I am sure you will have to return the favour sometimes, and ON THE QUIET! :LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Colin Don't bother about the seeds sowing unless the seed packet says so. We don't have enough sun or warmth and you risk killing your seeds and seedlings as damping off is quite common with conditions like this. Unless you have LED light and a calibrated propagator, best is to wait.. till March or even April unless you need to stratify your seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I resemble the insinuation I dont put my hand in my pocket alp! :( I am shocked :whistle: How else can I keep my hands warm?(y)
Re seed sowing....always a temptation and a gamble to sow too early. I often have to repeat sow for this reason

Ask a Question