What did you do in your garden today?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp; I usually learn the hard way. :( The French Lavender and Ajuga packets stated it was OK to sow when I did but I only have a shed and a cold frame. The lavender have actually grown into seedlings but they look rather "stringy" and perhaps it's now too cold for them so I might lose them; no chance at all though with the Ajuga but this is a small price to pay for a lesson learned; like most budding gardeners I jumped in a bit too quickly. I've taken Pachysandra cuttings and initially put these in jam jars filled with water but no roots appeared so I dipped them in rooting compound and potted them; these are now in the cold frame and still look OK so fingers crossed; anything new presents a steep learning curve and I don't mind making all the mistakes first because I'll get there in the end. Potted shrubs I bought and planted are doing well so I'm happy. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you have seedlings, you can sprinkle some cinnamon powder on top of the soil and you can put them near a light source and back up the bottom of the tray with a polystyrene board. The latter will raise its ambience temperature quite a bit. Don't water unless it is bone dry.

With cuttings, always add a bit of sand or grit.

I am still learning.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks alp for the tips. (y) I'm drowning the poor seedlings so I'll let them dry out before lightly watering in future; the tray is just inside the shed window so receives full afternoon sun; the cold frame is to the outside of the shed just below the window so this too benefits from the bit of sun available. I was digging again in the garden yesterday and I'm amazed by how dry the soil is just beneath the surface; we have plenty of rain but the garden being so steep the rain disappears as surface water; I've planted a number of shrubs so I think I'll go round and water them all today then no doubt it will pour down because the forecast is for a rare dry day.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Best is for the seedling to have sunshine as the sun comes up. Afternoon sun is sometimes too hot. Sometimes, light is needed for germination.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp for adding more tips. The shed faces southwest so morning sun misses the window but this time of the year the heat from the sun is very low in fact it doesn't rise much in high summer; it's more often a black hole than sunny as it is whilst I'm typing but the forecast today is;

Yorkshire and Humber
Forecast Summary
  • Today
    A dry, bright but chilly day. Some early cloud, especially near the coast and over the hills, however, this will thin and disperse allowing some long spells of sunshine to develop in a light northwesterly breeze.

• Tonight
    A dry night across most of the region with variable amounts of cloud. A few clear spells are likely allowing the odd fog patch, and slight frost, to form.
If this is classed as bright I wonder how the forecasters define dull? The darkest place I've ever been was down the coal mine where I worked; I used to return to the pit bottom on my own via the old workings and if I turned my cap lamp off it was indeed pitch black with just the timber roof supports occasionally groaning; this would be a nightmare for anyone suffering from claustrophobia but it never bothered me; I'm no longer down the mine but it's not much brighter sitting here at the keyboard. This must be the early cloud; I thought Blackie was full time? :(

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just taken a few pictures alp of the shed and cold frame as seen below.

The Pachysandra cuttings look healthy enough in the cold frame; the French Lavender seedlings can be seen through the window on the left; the few cuttings on the right appear to be taking and these are the first cuttings I've ever attempted. :)

The laurels to the shed front used to be around 30' tall so I brought them down to 3' tall where I can now keep them trimmed. It sure is a steep garden making anything I do hard work.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00125.JPG
DSC00126.JPG
DSC00127.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Colin The Pachysandra cuttings look great! I put in cuttings in a section of our property about 18 years ago. They multiply like crazy and nothing kills them. Great durable ground cover.

When you say laurels, is that what we would call Mountain Laurel?
18470095781_ef1c73b95e_b.jpg

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks MoonShadows. The laurels we have are called common or cherry laurels;

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=1541

We have lots of these laurel all being planted by a previous owner around 40 years ago and they went ballistic; one year I borrowed the 7 ton flat wagon from work when attacked them; they were so big they were overshadowing the big oak tree; it's a good job I have a petrol chainsaw and shredder; I've gone mad with the laurels this year; I've shredded for days on end and the thick trunks I cut into short lengths for our neighbours wood burner; this year I got on top of the work on the bungalow then I got serious about the gardens; there are lots more laurel to the top of the garden; I've now sorted the laurels and also completely removed around 160' of tall hedging; now I feel like I'm digging a field over by hand; work here never ceases and I've been working here for the last 30 years with no sign of an end; I like to keep busy so enjoy what I'm doing.

I think once the Pachysandra is planted and gets established it should look pretty good under the trees; I've also planted Ajuga ground cover near the new hut I made; I'm looking forward to springtime then all this hard work should pay off.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I did more digging this morning shown top middle and I'm pleased thus far with my progress; dig like mad for an hour then have a good rest; digging like this keeps me warm otherwise should I take my time the cold weather and prevailing breeze would quickly chill me; it's been a nice day today and once I warmed up I removed my heavy wind/waterproof coat which is rare; the bottom left grassed area is mostly moss and one of the reasons I want to get rid of the grass; with all the trees casting shadows grass has a very hard time of it hence moss; planting shrubs and flowers means no more dragging the petrol lawn mower up the mountain. Digging is very hard work due to the massive network of roots; this is the first dig over to get rid of the rubbish; I'm sure digging over again will be much easier.

I've got a large area at the top of the garden which isn't so steep and I've been wondering whether I could use a tiller? 5hp tillers can be bought through eBay for around £300 but I wonder if they could till this grass;moss;roots?

I've even considered hand digging for the first turn over then perhaps a petrol tiller would prove useful and I could then split the garden creating a vegetable patch; I've even considered erecting a polytunnel at the top of the garden but I fear vandal attacks?

I keep digging though and over the last few days have made lots of progress; it sure polishes my spade.

The second picture shows the top of the garden where I've removed a long hedge together with its roots so this area is nicely turned over adjoining it is an equal area but in grass and moss; it's this area I'm now heading towards and at 60' long it's going to be hard work digging it over by hand; a tiller would be ideal if it would cope removing lots of the hard work and I love to have lots of toys to play with so I wouldn't begrudge buying a tiller?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROTOVATO...183339?hash=item4d68b5236b:g:Q~EAAOSw42JZHDt6

Bron kindly asked of me what I would like as a pressie for Christmas but I couldn't think of anything I needed but If I could use a tiller then a machine similar to the one at the link above would be something nice for me to play with; I've just built a new garden hut so have somewhere safe to store it?

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00124.JPG

Garden progress 2 dec 2017 (12).JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Colin The Pachysandra cuttings look great! I put in cuttings in a section of our property about 18 years ago. They multiply like crazy and nothing kills them. Great durable ground cover.

When you say laurels, is that what we would call Mountain Laurel?
View attachment 30127

I like your laurel. Ours here is boring and bland.. Such dainty flowers. Oh, crumbs! Another one on the bucket list!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You've done so much, Colin and you're so neat and tidy.

Today, I have got rid of the water in all the trays holding my plants and there have been a few casualties. I planted out my latest parcel of tower fritillaria, fritillaria imperalis yellow and orange and a pink camassia.. Very happy. Hope the squirrels will leave them alone.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
it's going to be hard work digging it over by hand; a tiller would be ideal if it would cope removing lots of the hard work and I love to have lots of toys to play with so I wouldn't begrudge buying a tiller?

Maybe you could give it a "test drive" and rent one for a day? Might help you to decide if you want one of your own. (y)

Found these links on a quick search.

http://www.jewson.co.uk/tool-hire/landscaping/rotavators/

https://www.hirestation.co.uk/tool-hire/Landscaping/Rotavator-Hire/

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with MaryMary - it's not cheap and you've only got to use it once or twice and you've to store this expensive toy. It's not a lawnmower which you get to use every week in summer. Your handiwork is as well as that machine any way.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
you've only got to use it once or twice (...snip...) It's not a lawnmower which you get to use every week

That's what I was thinking! (y) :)

Get the hard work out of the way, sure, but once that area is planted, he won't be tilling anymore. :unsure: If he puts in a veg patch, he might use it once or twice in the spring, but once the soil is amended enough, it should be easy enough to do with a shovel.

Ask a Question